How to install Papago X5 on your PDA

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

How to install Papago X5 on your PDA

Postby drsec » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 am

Since 2 other forum members encountered problems installing PaPaGo X5 on their PDA, I decided to share the steps I took to get mine working, to help other members. Maybe the admins would like to transfer this thread to the appropriate topic for reference by other members.

None of these information and steps are mentioned in any of the documents, files or in the website. There is a disappointing lack of information to guide us through the installation/registration process.

It did take me quite a bit of time for several trial and errors before I managed to complete the application installation. When I did finally complete the application installation on my HTC HD2, the application kept crashing at start-up.

CAUTION - UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU REGISTER ON THE MACTION SITE AT ANY POINT BEFORE IT IS REQUIRED AS ELABORATED IN THE STEPS GIVEN BELOW. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE CORRECT REGISTRATION METHOD IS USED AND THIS WILL ONLY BE KNOWN AFTER THE APPLICATION IS STARTED.

One of our members did and is unable to proceed.

Start by installing the application. To do this, insert the CD and autorun it. A folder will open with the program mapinstall.exe. Run this application to install the PaPaGo X5 application.

There are 2 methods to install the PaPaGo application i.e PC-PDA-SD Card and PC-SD Card methods. I chose to install it using the PC-PDA-SD Card method. But during the installation, one of next screen showed that there is not enough space on the PDA to accommodate the application and it will install it on the SD card anyway. I have not tried installing it using the PC-SD Card Direct Installation method.

Assuming that the PaPaGo X5 application in now installed in your SD, from here on, proceed as follows:

1. Access the CD and your device (both connected to your PC/Laptop)

2. Copy the entire MFM Folder and its contents which is found in the \PAPAGO\SD\Navi\Maps\ folder on the CD to the \Navi\Maps\ folder on your HTC HD SD card. I have reason to believe that the application crash is due to the fact that the map is not installed during the installation process. I did this and the application started.

3. When this is complete, start the application. The application should come up and a registration screen will appear. There are 2 possible types of registration screens. One using device IMEI and the other using Owner Name.

If the IMEI registration method appears, the device IMEI will be automatically be pre-populated on the registration screen.

In any case, leave the device for a moment.

You can still use the application for 14 days without registering.

4. Now go to the Maction website http://www.mmcode.com. Proceed with the registration by entering the 14 digit AlphaNumeric Product Authorization Code found on the Product Registration Card enclosed in the CD Pack. This 14 digit number cannot be used in the PaPaGo Registration screen on your PDA.

You MUST also register on the website using the method shown on your device i.e. either using the IMEI or the Owner method.

DO NOT DEVIATE. Deviation will cause you not to be able to register and according to Maction, "No Refunds Will Be Entertained".

5. Complete the 3rd registration screen by entering all the information required. If it is the IMEI method, enter the device IMEI number which is displayed on the PaPaGo X5 registration screen now showing on your device.

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER IMEI NUMBER (not the one shown on the box or on WM6 screen because they differ).

6. The Maction website will now generate a set of 8 Number Code called "registration code" (on the final screen) for each map (One for Navigasi and another for MFM). It will also generate a Excel file and send you an email containing the two registration codes. (There are 2 maps given in the CD, one is MFM and the other is Navigasi).

7. Enter the MFM 8 Number "Registration Code" generated by the Maction website/Excel/email into into the "Authorization Code" box in the registration screen shown on your device.

This should complete the registration process and you should be off and running.

In Step 2 you could also copy the Navigasi files if you wish.

Good luck
Last edited by drsec on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JayCee

Re: How To Install PaPaGo X5 On Your PDA

Postby JayCee » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:44 pm

In the absence of a clear step-by-step installation guide and by applying general PC-PDA installation experience with other commercial software, I was one of the dumb guy who has run the online registration with Maction using the IMEI method before the PDA installation. Of course, too obvious, I have hit the wall hard as subsequent PDA installation requires the owner name registration format. I am now waiting M3Asia to rectifying the Maction registration part. Looks like have to wait until the New Year holiday period ends.
There are few more things you have to observe before the installation can come to the end.
1. Ensure the default browser of your system is Internet Explorer. Mine is Google Chrome and end up it triggers the download of MapInstaller.exe when you click on it (with the second screen) rather than executing it
2. Ignore any error mesages pop up during this installation process (if required, click 'OK' and 'Continue')
3. When MapInstaller comes to the end on the PC, it will display and request you to wait until the PDA's installation completes. Ignore this message as there will be no Papago X5 installation program(s) will be run on your PDA (unlike other software installation). Just click OK in responding to this PC message.
4. My installation copy (CD) was from M3Asia Singapore. I am not sure if contents of this version is different from that of those sold in Malaysia. It has NaviX3 instead of Navi under \CD\Papago\SD\. Folder \CD\Papago\SD\MagaNaviser is empty. There's only one folder called X3_MY under \CD\Papago\SD\NaviX3\Maps and its content should be MFM and this folder should be copied to \Storage Card\NaviX3\Maps.

Happy New Year to all!!

Regards,
JayCee

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Guys thanks for the detailed installation procedure. It is indeed complicated - particularly if they are not listed in the manual. Now I have doubts about buying this software for my HD2.
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:47 pm

jchoong wrote:Guys thanks for the detailed installation procedure. It is indeed complicated - particularly if they are not listed in the manual. Now I have doubts about buying this software for my HD2.

Dear Bro Jchoong,

Oh dear, I hope I haven't scared you. Trust me it is a gem of a software with more functionality than most and at a very unbeatably attractive price, to boot. At RM99 (or now RM149), it sure beats the USD99 GMXT and then having to pay for the map updates.

Actually at RM99, I dont expect any kind of support let alone premium support from M3Asia.

The set-up I posted does sound daunting but one were to follow the natural order of things, it will be alright. It is actually not as complicated as it sounds. It is just that there a little variations here and there, that are not explained.

Just make sure that you follow some of the tips that we have posted.
Last edited by drsec on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drsec

Postby drsec » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:54 pm

JayCee wrote:In the absence of a clear step-by-step installation guide and by applying general PC-PDA installation experience with other commercial software, I was one of the dumb guy who has run the online registration with Maction using the IMEI method before the PDA installation. Of course, too obvious, I have hit the wall hard as subsequent PDA installation requires the owner name registration format. I am now waiting M3Asia to rectifying the Maction registration part. Looks like have to wait until the New Year holiday period ends.
There are few more things you have to observe before the installation can come to the end.
1. Ensure the default browser of your system is Internet Explorer. Mine is Google Chrome and end up it triggers the download of MapInstaller.exe when you click on it (with the second screen) rather than executing it
2. Ignore any error mesages pop up during this installation process (if required, click 'OK' and 'Continue')
3. When MapInstaller comes to the end on the PC, it will display and request you to wait until the PDA's installation completes. Ignore this message as there will be no Papago X5 installation program(s) will be run on your PDA (unlike other software installation). Just click OK in responding to this PC message.
4. My installation copy (CD) was from M3Asia Singapore. I am not sure if contents of this version is different from that of those sold in Malaysia. It has NaviX3 instead of Navi under \CD\Papago\SD\. Folder \CD\Papago\SD\MagaNaviser is empty. There's only one folder called X3_MY under \CD\Papago\SD\NaviX3\Maps and its content should be MFM and this folder should be copied to \Storage Card\NaviX3\Maps.

Happy New Year to all!!

Regards,
JayCee

JayCee,

I'm sure Bro SB17 will oblige.

Yes I did forget to mention that I am using Google Chrome and did have to initiate mapinstall manually and yes the installation program is called mapinstaller.exe, which is confusing.

I did encounter the duff error messages.

And the file to copy is different in your version but the intent is the same in that the map is not installed on the device or SD card and has to be manually copied there.

At the end of the installation process there was nothing to complete on the device. Neither was there an Icon in WM6 startup folder. To run the application, I used File Explorer and located the folder on the SD card and ran the X5 application. Only then the icon is created in startup.

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:12 pm

drsec,

Thanks for the encouragement and reassurance. Yes, I have read a lot of good things about Papago. However, my main worry is that if instructions are almost non-existent, it will be a challenge for me - given that I don't understand a word of Chinese and Papago is so Chinese-centric (no offence meant). I am sure this will change quickly - if Papago wants to extend its reach.
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

drsec

Postby drsec » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Jchoong,

It all in English and I dont read Chinese.

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Seems to me the HTC HD volume control has no effect on the installed Papago X5. Does anybody knows how to control and/or set the volume of notification, warning, voice instruction or any speech with the Papago X5 for Windows Mobile (PDA)? Or is this function available?

Regards,
JayCee

drsec

Postby drsec » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:40 pm

I also noticed that the Next Junction Alert arrow for round-abouts is counter-clockwise.

Have not managed to find how to control the voice prompt volume yet.

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:57 pm

drsec wrote:I also noticed that the Next Junction Alert arrow for round-abouts is counter-clockwise.

Have not managed to find how to control the voice prompt volume yet.

Obviously, above are the two short-comings of Papago X5 for WM.

As of now, I am still not able to confirm if the speed warning is really triggered in accordance to the speed limit of each and every road which I doubt. If it is not, then, what is the algorithsm and where we can, like MapKing, at least maintain speed limit warning for major expressway (say 90kmh for all expressway for Sigapore and 110kmh for North-South Highway in Malaysia, etc).

Regards,
JayCee

Return to “Library”