That Deja Vu Feeling ...

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
jmleng
Valued Contributor

That Deja Vu Feeling ...

Postby jmleng » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:57 pm

It is pretty amazing, the deja vu feeling that I have when signing up at MFM this pm.

The startup of this site is almost to the day and month Ant and I started up gpsmappers.net 2 years back. Same forum look and feel. Same reason for starting a new site - some huge shifight at MSM - at that time, the shifight was over who owned the maps. Some very familiar dudes are here ...

Some key differences. Back then, Ant and I controlled who could register via personal invitations whereas at MFM, anyone who wants to can sign up.

The other key diff is that Ant went back to MSM after some time - I just continued to stay away from MSM and never went back at all over the 2 year period. A lot had to do with the fact that my life was turned upside down a bit but I really lost interest in the site with all the infighting.

Also, we now have a lot of new active folks ...

We actually had a very peaceful time at gpsmappers.net but it lost the "big community" feeling over time. Ant went back to MSM and kicked some serious life in it, until of course, the latest troubles ..

And now we have our Noah dude back there, Adil's gone from boh sia to controlling MSM, and we are out in a new site to "seek refuge" from the crap at MSM ...

Amazing how things change and go full cycle ..

The few constants though in all this:

1. Once a mapper always a mapper ... no matter how far and long you go away, the lure of filling white space on your map is too hard to resist. All it takes is one chat with Ant to bring back the interest...

2. Stay clear, clear of money ... money is the start of the end of it all. Extremely, extremely proud to say that of the old mapper hats, meaning those of us in the game since 2004/2005, Ant and I are the only 2 idiots who have consistently and clearly said "screw the money, this is a hobby". The payback is not money, its the kick of helping others and encouraging others to contribute to help everyone - this is priceless ...

The nightmare scenario I have been warning all the other mappers whenever the topic of making money comes up has happened at MSM. Really, really sad but this is the reality of life. People are willing to forsake friendships and comeraderie for the sake of cash ...

If Ant is cool, will try to get some conversation going, just like the good ole days .. I totally admire and respect Ant for his determination and tenacity to keep the community flag burning .. I definitely do not have as much stamina as he has in this regard ..

OK, getting off my soapbox now ... Here's to mapping by the community for the community ... Looking forward to being more active again, now that my life is a bit more settled, until the next big change in my life in 2 months time ... :champ:

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Re: That Deja Vu Feeling ...

Postby keong8260 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:06 pm

[-o<
Can bro Anytong tell us what the hell happened at MSM?

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Ant did. At his personal site.
http://antyong.net .
:-k
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:10 pm

sabre23t wrote:Ant did. At his personal site.

Thanks for promoting my blog :)

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:25 pm

Oh... thanks!

jaguar
Valued Contributor

Postby jaguar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:38 am

jmleng wrote: .... now that my life is a bit more settled, until the next big change in my life in 2 months time ... :champ:

I think Bro Cruiser was referring to this statement you wrote... congrats :mrgreen:

calvinkk

Postby calvinkk » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:18 am

Bro Antyong :prayer:
I really admire and respect your noble intention.
:thumbsup:
"Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted, counts"
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

ahbahari
Valued Contributor
Location: Johor - Nuvi255w; eTrex Vista HCx + Re radiating antenna

Postby ahbahari » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks Bro Antyong for your noble intention
I knew something amiss for the last coulple of month
BTW... I will reassure you that you will have my fullest support :prayer:
Come on Gunners..

apisfires
Location: MELAKA NEGERI BERSEJARAH- ARAU PERLIS INDERA KAYANGAN (Garmin XT S60)

Postby apisfires » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 am

Waaa U all know each other very long time???
wow!!! =D> =D> =D>
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE AAAA, WE ALL HAVE FREE MAP NOW!!!!! ITS EASY ONLY,
ALL 4 ONE ONE 4 ALL

SatelLite
Valued Contributor

Postby SatelLite » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:31 pm

antyong wrote:
sabre23t wrote:Ant did. At his personal site.

Thanks for promoting my blog :)

Sunn told me about the differences in philosophy. I didn't understand what he was talking about. But after reading your blog, I managed to understand what these are all about.

I admire your passion. :good:
GPSMap 60CSx|Nuvi300 TTS|HTC TyTN II MapkingR12|
Celebrating What's Right With The World

:rox: I love this smiley!!!

Return to “Community Hall”