Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
CyberTron88

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby CyberTron88 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm

When using the 2.7 local firmware, does it mean we have to stick to 2.20 maps to get the junction view etc features, or the current MFM 1.71 already have all the features?

CyberTron88

Postby CyberTron88 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Could it be cos my unit hw id when from 827 to 930?

Zeus73 wrote:
dvpro wrote:
CyberTron88 wrote:Thanks. Managed to flash using the 5.00 cure rgn from gpspassion site.... phew... now my US map that came with my unit cannot be unlocked. Is that normal?

No, Garmin Unit ID should remain as is even after flashing.

Also, the unlock code for the original US map is embedded in the map itself. Hence unlock code shouldn't went missing too. :-k

CyberTron88

Postby CyberTron88 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:08 pm

hmm...after i did everything...seems like my favourites are gone too...

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:24 pm

CyberTron88 wrote:When using the 2.7 local firmware, does it mean we have to stick to 2.20 maps to get the junction view etc features, or the current MFM 1.71 already have all the features?

Garmin MFM map does not support JCV yet.

CyberTron88 wrote:Could it be cos my unit hw id when from 827 to 930?

HWID is different from Unit ID. Map unlocking depends on Unit ID and Map ID, and since they should not change when flashing, it seems a bit odd that you had encountered this issue. Anyway, you can verify with a few tools if the map is actually having correct unlock codes, pls PM for details.

CyberTron88 wrote:hmm...after i did everything...seems like my favourites are gone too...

If you have deleted all user data (usually advisable before and after flashing) without backing up CURRENT.GPX, you cannot revert back to previous favorites.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

mrlambchop

Postby mrlambchop » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 pm

took the plunge and tried to update my usa nuvi 255w to sg firmware (instructions from http://nuvi255wfirmware.blogspot.com/). Alas, it went wrong for whatever reason.
Now, my unit keeps displaying the white screen and reboots continuously. Plugged it into the
laptop, but Windows doesn't recognise the USB device (no drive letter allocation).

Tried using those cure RGNs to flash my unit. The updater software can pick up my unit momentarily
(displays my unit id) but when i press OK to proceed with updating the firmware, the unit will always reboot halfway
thru it and it will throw me an error message asking me to forward it to Garmin tech support. Checked the error message and it's related to USB drivers or connected to USB hub problem (lack of power?). Anyway, i'm pretty sure the error is due to the lost usb link.

Looks like i bricked it pretty bad. shugs. Any1 has any other ideas i can try?

zuree
Valued Contributor

Postby zuree » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:50 pm

mrlambchop wrote:took the plunge and tried to update my usa nuvi 255w to sg firmware (instructions from http://nuvi255wfirmware.blogspot.com/). Alas, it went wrong for whatever reason.
Now, my unit keeps displaying the white screen and reboots continuously. Plugged it into the
laptop, but Windows doesn't recognise the USB device (no drive letter allocation).

Tried using those cure RGNs to flash my unit. The updater software can pick up my unit momentarily
(displays my unit id) but when i press OK to proceed with updating the firmware, the unit will always reboot halfway
thru it and it will throw me an error message asking me to forward it to Garmin tech support. Checked the error message and it's related to USB drivers or connected to USB hub problem (lack of power?). Anyway, i'm pretty sure the error is due to the lost usb link.

i also dunno why...but have u try to do hard reset..look for reset button at the bottom of nuvi..

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 pm

mrlambchop wrote:took the plunge and tried to update my usa nuvi 255w to sg firmware (instructions from http://nuvi255wfirmware.blogspot.com/). Alas, it went wrong for whatever reason.

Read my post from Page 2. I encountered the same problem. I email you the fix. Do you want Mal/Sin or back to US firmware?

mrlambchop

Postby mrlambchop » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:49 pm

zuree wrote:i also dunno why...but have u try to do hard reset..look for reset button at the bottom of nuvi..

hi, the reset switch is not available on my set. According to the quick start guide, i have to slide and hold the power button for 8 secs to hard reset it. Doesn't work for me, still displays the white screen.

mrlambchop

Postby mrlambchop » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:03 pm

drsec wrote:Read my post from Page 2. I encountered the same problem. I email you the fix. Do you want Mal/Sin or back to US firmware?

hi, thanks for sharing your files and advice. i think my problem is because my unit WILL always restart (initial white screen -> black screen -> white screen) during a firmware update. I can never get to finish a firmware update after i've started the process.

this is basically what i've been trying
1) slide and hold power button -> screen displays white (some people stated it's necessary to keep the finger on the top right corner of the unit also? tried it as well, but i can't tell if i'm doing it right, cos it only displays the white screen)
2) plug in the usb cable. Hears the windows sound when u plug in a usb device
3) pressed ok on the usb when my device is detected in the updater software
4) <Software begins updating>
5) halfway thru the updating, my unit will (reboot?) to black screen followed by the white screen again.
6) software throws me the error code

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 pm

mrlambchop wrote:
drsec wrote:Read my post from Page 2. I encountered the same problem. I email you the fix. Do you want Mal/Sin or back to US firmware?

hi, thanks for sharing your files and advice. i think my problem is because my unit WILL always restart (initial white screen -> black screen -> white screen) during a firmware update. I can never get to finish a firmware update after i've started the process.

this is basically what i've been trying
1) slide and hold power button -> screen displays white (some people stated it's necessary to keep the finger on the top right corner of the unit also? tried it as well, but i can't tell if i'm doing it right, cos it only displays the white screen)
2) plug in the usb cable. Hears the windows sound when u plug in a usb device
3) pressed ok on the usb when my device is detected in the updater software
4) <Software begins updating>
5) halfway thru the updating, my unit will (reboot?) to black screen followed by the white screen again.
6) software throws me the error code

That was the same problem I had. It kept rebooting when I switch it on. Subsequent update aborts in the middle. So my first priority is to do a complete a firmware update. I used the Mal/Sin firmware to do this. I managed to get this after several rounds. I used the On/Off Switch hold method.

Then I flashed it with the latest firmware and webupdater to get the latest files.

Oh by the way, dont have any other USB device connected to your PC whilst you are doing the update. I think in my case, this was the problem.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”