Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ktan2

Re: Converting Nuvi 255W US Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby ktan2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:13 pm

dvpro wrote:Sorry to hear of your predicament doc. So, you had actually successfully reflashed to local firmware and even managed to start the device after the process? Any idea what went wrong?

Hello All,
:prayer: forgot to inform one step.
before update the firmware, must deleted all the voice and Text file from your Nuvi garmin/voice
and Garmin/Text.
because for Sing/Mal firmware, some of the vpm or txt not recognize by it.
It's doesn't matter, drsec.
I'll make a cure version firmware to recover your nuvi.
:prayer: Very Sorry :prayer:

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 pm

ktan2 wrote:
dvpro wrote:Sorry to hear of your predicament doc. So, you had actually successfully reflashed to local firmware and even managed to start the device after the process? Any idea what went wrong?

Hello All,
before update the firmware, must deleted all the voice and Text file from your Nuvi garmin/voice
and Garmin/Text.

Actually I followed the initial blog instruction where I removed the Voice and Text Folders.

After successfully doing the firmware update, I restarted the device and copied 2 of the English-British TTS voices into the device. That was when it refused to restart.

Didn't realize that putting back the voice files can have such a catastrophic result.

BEWARE EVERYONE

Thank you for your kindness. Hope I can make it for my outstation drive tomorrow. If not, looks like Papago will have another sale. In any case, I owe you a meal, irrespective of the outcome.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:05 pm

drsec wrote:
ktan2 wrote:

Hello All,
and Garmin/Text.

Actually I followed the initial blog instruction where I removed the Voice and Text Folders.

After successfully doing the firmware update, I restarted the device and copied 2 of the English-British TTS voices into the device. That was when it refused to restart.

Didn't realize that putting back the voice files can have such a catastrophic result.

BEWARE EVERYONE

Thank you for your kindness. Hope I can make it for my outstation drive tomorrow. If not, looks like Papago will have another sale. In any case, I owe you a meal, irrespective of the outcome.

It's been posted before that British language causes 'brick' on SG/MY sets.

mightyboo

Postby mightyboo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:41 pm

Brother...
Anyway for 7x5 US/EU nuvi sets to convert to SG/MY ?
Alot of people will love you if that happens....

ktan2

Postby ktan2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 pm

chaicka wrote:It's been posted before that British language causes 'brick' on SG/MY sets.

Hello chaicka,
Can you Send Me the British language which you're mentioned cause the brick on SG/MY sets.
I need it to crash my SG/MY 255W and find out why this British language Crash the Unit.
I use Garmin Webupdater install 2 British voice
a) British English-Daniel &
b) British English-Serena.
But, No 'Brick' on my unit.
The reason I think Garmin has removed previous British English Voice.
Can you PM me your mentioned British English voice.
Thank you very much.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Bro KTan2, after you have revived the bricked Nuvi, can you share the methods to undo the problem. :tq: in advance.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

WknThDg

Postby WknThDg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 am

ktan2 wrote:
WknThDg wrote:I currently have a HWID 0827 nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00. I live in USA, so do you know if both JCV and Lane Assistant will work with City Navigator North America 2010.1?
Also, does this patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60 have American English (TTS) voices or will my Voice directory stay with the same files?
I will backup all of my current Garmin directory first anyway.
:tq: ktan2

Hello, WknThDg,
how're you doing? :)
Is ur Nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00 is US set, GPS ID 0827. No JCV or Lane assistant support. but with ecoRoute ?
Patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60, JCV not work with CIty Navigator north America 2010.1.
but U will get Lane asisstant, and also get Waypoint Icon showing while navigating in, which suppose make the map be cluttered, u May not like it.
This Lane assistant look similar as 7x5 unit, of course a little bit different.
see sample picture 255w Sg/Mal Lane assist look like below--

Hello ktan2

"Is ur Nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00 is US set, GPS ID 0827. No JCV or Lane assistant support. but with ecoRoute ?"
Yes, that is correct.

"Patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60, JCV not work with CIty Navigator north America 2010.1. but U will get Lane asisstant, and also get Waypoint Icon showing while navigating in, which suppose make the map be cluttered, u May not like it."

OK, then I would like to just try the "Lane Assistant".
Please re-upload and post a new download link because the RapidShare download limit has been reached.
:tq:

ktan2

Postby ktan2 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:29 am

drsec wrote:Actually I followed the initial blog instruction where I removed the Voice and Text Folders.
BEWARE EVERYONE

Hello drsec,
I created a cure firmware for you, I disable the TTS voices.
I have already Tested few times, Confirm TTS voice was disabled.
Open the instruction.txt from download file for more detail.
Your Nuvi will be recovered.
Well, I still need your English-British TTS voices for further study on the crash.
I need to experience on this crash.
Thank you very much.

ktan2

Postby ktan2 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:54 am

WknThDg wrote:Hello ktan2
"Is ur Nuvi 255W set with SW v5.00 is US set, GPS ID 0827. No JCV or Lane assistant support. but with ecoRoute ?"
Yes, that is correct
"Patch to SG/MAL sw v2.60, JCV not work with CIty Navigator north America 2010.1. but U will get Lane asisstant, and also get Waypoint Icon showing while navigating in, which suppose make the map be cluttered, u May not like it."
OK, then I would like to just try the "Lane Assistant".
Please re-upload and post a new download link because the RapidShare download limit has been reached.

Hello, WknThDg,
I switch back My Nuvi 255W US from Sing/Mal firmware to US firmware. and Test on City Navigator North America 2010.10.
Yes, you're right. US firmware Not Support JCV & Lane Assistant, but I can see ecoRoute feature.
Then, I Switch my Nuvi 255W from US firmware to Taiwan firmware, JCV & Lane Assistant Not support too.
Take a minutes to Switch it from Taiwan firmware to Sing/Mal firmware.
Yes, Confirm ! only Sing/Mal firmware support CNNA NT 2010.10 lane Assistant.
Sample picture for you enjoy:
*I install all the Voice file into my Nuvi through Webupdater, Still can't make my Nuvi died.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WknThDg

Postby WknThDg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:58 am

Hello ktan2,
Nice test to confirm Sing/Mal firmware support CNNA NT 2010.10 Lane Assistant.
:good:
WknThDg wrote:Please re-upload and post a new download link because the RapidShare download limit has been reached.
Can not download from http://rapidshare.com/files/247405974/F ... y.rar.html anymore.
Where can I now download the patch firmware?
I want to switch my Nuvi 255W US to Sing/Mal firmware and get Lane Assistant like sample picture.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”