Masmap copying MFM data!

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: So who is copying who?

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:52 pm

aceedburn wrote:there we go, yet again. I'm really sad that this has to happen. Why can't we all live in harmony?

Sad? Have you spent hours creating maps before? You will never understand the sadness of people copying your hard work if you don't.

This is my comment to those who try to hard trying to act neutral. Neutrality is the continue support to both parties irregardless of any wrongdoings. Neutrality is not blind disregard of what's wrong. Portraying yourself too hard as "reasonable" and you'll only get a "fake" impression.

This is my challenge to you - you want to start mapping to experience sadness?

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:05 pm

jchoong wrote:SoSweet, thanks for the translation as I could not make any sense from the first attempt (with due respects to Alyem who tried to help guys like me who can't read a word of Chinese). I may be in the minority but I do empathize with Tokong for his noble intentions; naive but actually no harm done. Lets not kill his enthusiasm for the mapping work that he has volunteered, even though it is for another GPS community. Don't shoot me down; I'm just another enthusiastic GPS user and I do use (and appreciate) the maps from both communities.

Me too. I had clarified a few things to him privately. Hopefully this issue is resolved.

Tokong is an enthusiastic hobbyist who had joined the hobby not too long ago. His intentions were good. I don't blame him at all. What about Noah? He was unaware of all this? If he was unaware, what kind of senior mapper/councilor/whatever is he? If he was aware, why did he not advise Tokong not to copy?

I reiterate my advice regarding neutrality. Be neutral. Participate freely in any forum. But don't deny yourself judgement of what is wrong and right just because you want to be neutral :prayer:

Ravindara82

Postby Ravindara82 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Understand that Masmap wanted to do a remapping to rectify the errors

I don't think your remapping will rectify the errors. there has so many factor cause the routing error. Not only the map itself.
Please understand, u remapping, main purpose is not rectify the error. Pls ask the senior of ur site, what is main purpose of the remapping, dun let them confuse u.

Best Regards
Ravin

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Yes, we contributes, draw maps, release maps for the benefit of community(and for our own self too). We all have the passion to do it, spending our own money buying GPS units, own fuel, own time contributing and drawing maps for the benefit of community(and for own self too).

When I contributed, I saw my contribution came out in the new release and I feel proud...Hey, this track/POI is contributed by me.

When I drawn map, I saw my map came out in the new release and I feel proud...Hey, this map is drawn by me.

If I am the Site Admin, I feel proud after new release when I saw people used and benefited with the map I release.

But if I copied the contributions, tracks or polygon from others forum and paste into my map, and the new map release...Do I feel proud? Or I merely said that I did it for the benefit of the community?

How about those people who contributed the track, POIs, polygon and do mapping? Yes, they might not mind as they did it for the benefit of the community. But all their hardworks became others people hardworks.

Last question, if I cracked the Garmin Map lock code, copy it and distribute it out to the community, is it acceptable? It is also for the benefit of community as we don't have to spend money buying the map....can ka?

So, think twice. beneficial for the community, yes, but we have to do it in right and ethical manner.

But I respect Bro Tokong as he stand up admitting he copied the map and seek clarification. Hopefully he will correct his mistake and continue to serve the community.....in the correct manner.

Just my 2 cents.

:tq:
Last edited by edchuang (retired) on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sulphur
Valued Contributor

Postby sulphur » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 pm

antyong wrote:....Tokong is an enthusiastic hobbyist who had joined the hobby not too long ago. His intentions were good. I don't blame him at all. What about Noah? He was unaware of all this? If he was unaware, what kind of senior mapper/councilor/whatever is he? If he was aware, why did he not advise Tokong not to copy?....

edchuang wrote:.....I respect Bro Tokong as he stand up admitting he copied the map and seek clarification...

Or he is too naive for not knowing he been 'blessed' by 'somebody' from 'other party' to copy MFM on purpose but hiding behind 'good intentions'.

imantulen

Postby imantulen » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 am

aceedburn wrote:there we go, yet again. I'm really sad that this has to happen. Why can't we all live in harmony?

antyong wrote:Sad? Have you spent hours creating maps before? You will never understand the sadness of people copying your hard work if you don't.

One of the reasons I always loved watching the show: Bambi, is particularly this part where these words were said:

Thumper: He doesn't walk very good, does he?
Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!!!
Thumper: Yes, mama?
Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?
Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.

This moral is now known by such names as the "Thumperian principle", "Thumper's rule" or "Thumper's law".

Now, imagine a songwriter's tune is copied on to this site, then the webmaster hides the credits & passes it on to ABC Co for some non-monetary returns (eg. free products, free 7D6N trips, free meals, free hotel stays, etc - you get the picture) who then incorporates it in to their products, which b'cos of the catchy tunes becomes a top selling product in the region, making mega bucks in the process....

The songwriter finds out about it & asks the webmaster: Helllo !!! :fire:

Webmaster says I didn't gain any $$$ from it (I swear!):
"it is for the benefit of the community, don't be so selfish & short-sighted lah, see, everybody's enjoying the tunes, everybody's happy" :mrgreen:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:22 am

Issue on Malsingmaps copying our data had been separated. Refer to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1783

Return to “Community Hall”