Nokia 5800 - Part 1

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
andromedia

Re: Garmin XT on nokia 5800 xpressmusic

Postby andromedia » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:47 pm

There is a known working way to install Garmin XT in 5800... only that it require a "hard-reset". I just done it today for a friend...

1) Backup your phone memory (using Nokia PC Suite).

2) Remove the MicroSD card by pressing the Power Button on the top left of your phone and scroll all the way down. There is an option to remove your memory card. Select it and follow instruction.

3) Off your phone and remove your SIM CARD and turn it on again.

4) Press *#7370# for Factory Reset. Default code is "12345". REMEMBER, YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING!

5) After the phone rebooted, select your country region as "Hong Kong".

6) Set the current time and date.

7) Once the phone fully booted up, turn it off and insert your SIM Card and MicroSD card.

8) You may now install Garmin XT for you phone as well as other applications.

Just a note of advice. Try to update your firmware to V.11 or newer before proceeding as V.10 and earlier are well-known for the "Expired Certificate" issue even after doing the above step 1 to 8. To check your current firmware, enter *#0000#.

Good luck...

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:11 pm

bro.. they posted the above because they are refering to gmxt 5.00.20, which u require virtual key to run. gmxt 5.00.30 is launched towards the end of feb, which fully supports 5800, thus u do not need virtual key to use gmxt.
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

vash_h

Re: Nokia 5800 Xpress Music

Postby vash_h » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Ravindara82 wrote:
vash_h wrote:my current firmware on 5800 is v20.0.012

Hi vash_h,
before I change my hp to 5800, may I know that whether need to buy external GPS receiver ? in order get the satellite signal, or use build in GPS receiver.
Thanks

Best Regards
Ravin :mrgreen:

yes, you can use the internal built-on gps receiver. you will need to buy garmin mxt from garmin to do that. there is another way , the ways of the dark side, but it will not be discussed here.
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

andromedia

Postby andromedia » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Bro, I posted that because many 5800 users have difficulties installing GMXT 5.00.30 mainly due to the "Expired Certificate" error, not because of the previous version doesn't support Symbian S60 5th Edition.

Just so you know, I did that before too... installing GMXT 5.00.20 on a 5800 with the VirtualKey thing... I'm just sharing this because I see that information is not available here yet... no hard feelings... :)

joemoe

Re: Garmin Mobile XT Symbian 5.00.30 Support 5800 Touch Screen

Postby joemoe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:19 pm

gawaynelcy wrote:
joemoe wrote:Today I first tried to use my 5800 with the new GMXT. It crashed when the voice prompt came out. It was ok when it was navigating; But when i came close to the next turn, just when the voice prompt came out it crashed and went to the phone menu page.

Any one experienced the same thing here? I am on V20 firmware by the way. Plan to reinstall it tonight and try again tomorrow.

i don't seem to face that problem bro...

i've used it all the way from KL to Bukit Kiara then to Serdang yesterday...all the way using GMXT...no such prob...

reboot ur phone maybe???

I think i have root cause the problem. Try the following to see whether you can duplicate the problem:

Setting -> Routing -> Turn Preview -> set to Enable

Also, during navigating press the top left area when you will see a list of turning, it will also crash the program and return to phone menu page.

Does anyone of you facing the infamous speaker issue? I got mine fix the 4th day i got my phone.

9W2CBL
Polygon Mapper

Postby 9W2CBL » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm

It is confirm that the Turn Preview that is enable is the one that cause the Garmin MobileXT to shut down and back to main menu.

Currently I turn it off! and no issue of running it for 4 route now.

I wonder what is the function for the "Turn Preview"

Cheers!
Common sense is instinct, and enough of it is genius
The avatar is design by Bro. Sulphur - Thanks!
Owned - nuvi200 (US Version), nuvi255W (TWN -> SGMY -> US -> TWN), Last MobileXT V5.00.60

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:42 pm

=P~

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 am

for RM1280 original set, not a bad phone. AP price and ori price not much diff so better to buy ori.

Main disadvantages:

* Limited 3rd party software availability
* UI is still immature with somewhat dodgy user experience
* Touchscreen sensitivity not the best in the class
* No smart dialing
* Poor image quality and no GPS geotagging (geotagging is now added via firmware update)
* Touch web browser not quite polished
* No voice-guided navigation license
* No office document editing out-of-the-box
* Doesn't charge off microUSB

Known major problem for the tube and its solution:

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showt ... ry23752068

its something i dont wanna do at home ....... :nutz:

andromedia

Postby andromedia » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:52 am

Here is a solution to the "Expired Certificate" problem some of you might encounter...

1) Backup your phone memory (using Nokia PC Suite).

2) Remove the MicroSD card by pressing the Power Button on the top right of your phone and scroll all the way down. There is an option to remove your memory card. Select it and follow instruction.

3) Off your phone and remove your SIM CARD and turn it on again.

4) Press *#7370# for Factory Reset. Default code is "12345". REMEMBER, YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING!

5) After the phone rebooted, select your country region as "Hong Kong".

6) Set the current time and date.

7) Once the phone fully booted up, turn it off and insert your SIM Card and MicroSD card.

8) You may now install Garmin XT for you phone as well as other applications.

Just a note of advice. Try to update your firmware to V.11 or newer before proceeding as V.10 and earlier are well-known for the "Expired Certificate" issue even after doing the above step 1 to 8. To check your current firmware, enter *#0000#.

Good luck...

andromedia

Postby andromedia » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:51 pm

There could be a few reason to it... for a start, check your current firmware version.If it's older than .11, then it's very likely the problem will not go away. Upgrade your firmware from Nokia first and proceed in redoing the 8 steps.

But just a note before that, did you follow all the steps closely? After the reset, set the country to Hong Kong, then set the time and date and wait for the phone to fully boot. After that, you need to turn it off, insert your MicroSD card and turn the phone on again. Once it's fully booted, install GMXT the latest version Symbian 5.00.30 which is available from Garmin website.

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”