Garmin on Android

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: Garmin on Android

Postby moeyhc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Garmin Navigator cannot be found in Google Play Store in the Mi3 or Samsung S2 phones... Anyone here able to load and test?

Thanks for reading.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 pm

Yes no garmin android for malaysia

Send from asus fonepad 7

Skylinestar
Valued Contributor

Postby Skylinestar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 pm

for those who are adventurous, can try the apk from <reference to illegally sourced app deleted>

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:33 pm

There is Garmin for Android, Garmin Streetpilot and it is an unofficial release, as mentioned a few times earlier, so don't go look for Google Play for it. Officially Streetpilot is available for Windows Phone and iOS. Latest version for Android is 2.35, and works for ICS, KitKat and even Lollipop ( I can only confirmed it for KitKat 4.4.2, in my LG G2).

Here is what I like about it:
1. Run super smooth on my LG G2
2. Text to speech to pronounce road names
3. Useful search on addresses. (You need to create the ADDRESS icon with the Short Cut tool)
4. Nice high resolution (Full HD on my LG G2) rendering. Better looking than my Nuvi 24xx.
5. Supposedly support 3D buildings but I haven't use a map with it.
6. Lane assist working
7. JV....sort of working....explained more below.
8. Route and re-routing calculation is very fast.
10. Has GPS Simulator mode to test out maps, functioning CPOI, etc..

Here is what could be improved:
1. MFM maps crashes the program consistently when setting up for Navigation. Browse maps is ok. MSM maps work fine. I believe the cgsmapper compiler is not compatible. I have also use the NT USA map and worked fine. So, I think the NT compilers are the only routable working compiler for this version. (Version 2.33 and 2.35 tested and consistently crashes).
2. Custom POI works but does not support WAV sound (no sound). Yeap, no audible voice alerts. The closest I tried was CPOI with MP3 and it gives a "Ding Ding" tone. The only alert u get is a Grey Top Bar on the screen, indicating the CPOI alert.
3. JV works partially only with Raster type image. The MSM map package provides 2 types of JV files. The normal one gives a black split screen while the Raster one will show only the purple arrow and the Road Name sign board. Photo realistic lanes cannot be seen. Practically, the JV function is still considered not usable. I have not tried the official NT maps from Garmin.
4. If the program gets minimized or interupted (by a phone call), it may not recover to show up again, although it is still running in the background. To recover, I have to kill the app in the background (long press on the app, and Force Stop to kill) and relaunch it....and it will continue navigation from the previous session.

That is all I observed so far..
Current Device: LG G2 Android 4.4.2
Previous Devices: HTC HD2 with WM6.5 and Android 2.3.5
Previous Devices: HTC Touch Diamond 2 PDA Phone (288MB RAM) with WM6.5

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:03 pm

An update to my previous posting on :

"4. If the program gets minimized or interupted (by a phone call), it may not recover to show up again, although it is still running in the background. To recover, I have to kill the app in the background (long press on the app, and Force Stop to kill) and relaunch it....and it will continue navigation from the previous session."

This can be remedy by going into Developer Options/Apps/Don't Keep Activities checkbox unticked.

I had that ticked which cause SP to 'Force Quit'. If you haven't ticked this option, you won't face this situation.

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:42 am

JV is not working with official maps from Garmin, as the SP version is not SG/MY. The split screen will appear but without images, and will show a message from Garmin regarding the map was not designed for the region.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:06 am

From what I understand any apps that takes over the screen will halt the navigation. It will only work when the navigation screen is shown. Not surprise the JCV is locked to the local units only.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

eddy_duyung
Contributor
Location: Tinggi Island,Johore. Garmin Mobile XT,nüvi 50LM,nüvi 880,nüvi 255W,nüvi 2465

Postby eddy_duyung » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:53 am

JCV should work with some tweak..Samsung Note 2 N7100..Android 4.2.2
Nokia 5800XM , Garmin nüvi 50LM,Garmin nüvi 880,Garmin nüvi 255W,Garmin nüvi 2465

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:46 am

eddy,

Can you share your tweak methods?

Thanks
Leslie

eddy_duyung
Contributor
Location: Tinggi Island,Johore. Garmin Mobile XT,nüvi 50LM,nüvi 880,nüvi 255W,nüvi 2465

Postby eddy_duyung » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:13 pm

RM1 wrote:eddy,

Can you share your tweak methods?

Thanks
Leslie

I assume you has successfully installed Garmin Streetpilot on your devices.
Yes for sure,first you must locate if there is the folder below
".System "
is present or not in your main Garmin folder.The weird thing is,the folder " .System" is present while we install,after several time i runnning the applications,the folder just gone like thats,i has enable " folder options" to see weather the file is hidden ,but there is no hidden file exist.Because the " JCV" folder is inside thats ".System" folder.But the " JV " still functions well even i cant find the folder.Weird is it?

2.The "JCV" file should go/put inside this ".system" folder.
3.The " JCV" file should be not l0cked - PM me on how to not l0cked it
4.If you cant find the ".system" folder,you should start it from stratch,which is required you to uninstall the applications,delete all the " Garmin" folder,and re-install the applications from A-Z.
5.Put the " JCV " file while the ".Sytem" folder still exist there.

Hope this will assist you...Leslie
Nokia 5800XM , Garmin nüvi 50LM,Garmin nüvi 880,Garmin nüvi 255W,Garmin nüvi 2465

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”