Garmin nüvi 3790

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin Nuvi3790 SG/MY

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm

BktBird wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:
BktBird wrote:I currently use a Nuvi 3790 with the following system info:

Nuvi 3790
Software Version: 2.20
GPS Firmware: 2.50
Maps loaded:
Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10
City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.13
MFM Garmin 110606

My problem is that I am unable to load any of the newer MFM maps into my Nuvi. On my SD card I have created a folder called map (under the root directory) which contains the following files:
MFM_Apr11.img
MFM_July11.img

However when I start up the Nuvi, neither map shows up in the myMaps. I have tried both the maps directly downloaded from here as well as recreating the map from the multiple images with no success.

I have tried both microSD and microSDHC cards. I can view the contents of the microSD cards from my computer (when the Nuvi is connected to the computer via USB) so I can safely assume that card can be read.

I have tried practically all the suggestions here (over the last couple of months) but nothing has helped me so far. The thing is, I can't remember how it managed to upload the MFM 110606 map but unfortunately nothing new can be seen :ko:

I would like to be able to load the latest MFM map as well as other maps that I have, specially for when I go overseas. Can anyone help please?

BB

If I read your post correctly, you got x3 MFM maps residing in MainMemory and SD card ? If so, you need to remove two of them, leaving the latest one in SD card/map directory.

Run installer and have it generate map to reside in root directory /malfreemaps. Manually copy the gmapsupp.img into SD card/map and rename it to whatever you want. When you generate the gmapsupp, make sure that you select to "REMOVE POLYGONS", else map will not display correctly on your Nuvi.

You should be able to view the installed maps in you Nuvi via the myMaps menu.

Thanks for your suggestion. You are right, one map MFM Garmin 110606 is in MainMemory. The other two are on the SD card. Actually one of the SD maps has already been generated without polygons.

How do I remove the MFM map in MainMemory (that is painless) other than doing a reset to default (which will make me lose all my data)? Even if I delete it in the /Garmin folder (i think that's the right folder, off my memory here) it gets "re-installed" upon starting.

BB

Hard reset will not remove maps.

Maps in Main Memory reside in 2 locations,

1. /system ( by default this is a hidden file, you have to get windows to show/display the file )
2. /map directory

You have to figure out which map file is the MFM one. Names could be gmapprom ( usually Garmin NT map ), gmapprom1 ( usually MSM NT ), gmapsupp.img ( could be MFM map ), etc...

BACKUP before you delete anything

BktBird

Postby BktBird » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks silverbeauty! Based on your inputs, I was able to install MFM-Garmin 100810 and its POI yesterday.

This morning I downloaded the latest map MFM-Garmin 110801. I transferred it to the SD card. When I started my Nuvi, the MFM POI 110801 appears but the map choice available is still MFM-Garmin 100810.

I looked in the \System folder and did not find any additional .img to delete there. In that folder I have the gmapprom, gmapprom1, gmapbmap, gmaptz and gmap3D img only.

Oh, and in the Garmin's \map folder I have MSM_V440_1390.img. No other .img files on my Garmin device. (of course the SD \map I have only the MFM_Aug11.img (renamed from gmapsupp.img) file.

Hmm....

ys_lim

Postby ys_lim » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:47 pm

BktBird wrote:Thanks silverbeauty! Based on your inputs, I was able to install MFM-Garmin 100810 and its POI yesterday.

This morning I downloaded the latest map MFM-Garmin 110801. I transferred it to the SD card. When I started my Nuvi, the MFM POI 110801 appears but the map choice available is still MFM-Garmin 100810.

I looked in the \System folder and did not find any additional .img to delete there. In that folder I have the gmapprom, gmapprom1, gmapbmap, gmaptz and gmap3D img only.

Oh, and in the Garmin's \map folder I have MSM_V440_1390.img. No other .img files on my Garmin device. (of course the SD \map I have only the MFM_Aug11.img (renamed from gmapsupp.img) file.

Hmm....

Under SD card Garmin folder u paste gmapsupp.img (lastest maps) to the folder
U Can Win If U Want
为善最乐。Happy With Charity.

BktBird

Postby BktBird » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:33 pm

ys_lim wrote:
BktBird wrote:Thanks silverbeauty! Based on your inputs, I was able to install MFM-Garmin 100810 and its POI yesterday.

Hmm....

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't help. Only MFM POI 110801 appears, the map choice available is still MFM-Garmin 100810. Its really odd as far as I am concerned as it should have worked following the original suggestion of only having one MFM file.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 pm

BktBird wrote:
ys_lim wrote:

Hmm....

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't help. Only MFM POI 110801 appears, the map choice available is still MFM-Garmin 100810. Its really odd as far as I am concerned as it should have worked following the original suggestion of only having one MFM file.

Bro BktBird, suggest you better get your facts right. You say you have successfully managed to install MFM-Garmin 100810 a very old map............

Then you downloaded MFM-Garmin 110801 and put it to SD card.

I already SAID that you more than one Map of same country CANNOT co-exist. Why you put another MFM map into SD card when you already have MFM 100810 already installed ](*,)

Of course Nuvi will go nuts when it finds two similar map tiles and the result is what you are experiencing now :ko:

Delete the older map and use the latest and put it into SD card/map :thumbsup:

halia_merah

Postby halia_merah » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:08 pm

cruxify wrote:Good day to fellow Garmin 3790 users!
I am trying to set my customised splash screen to my unit in the horizontal manner but to no avail. Seems like the splash screen can only appear in a potrait manner. Any senior can help?

P/S Where can I get free Taiwan maps? Been search and google-ing but just can't find one that work... Thank you!

:)

hi bro.!!!wonder how to set splash screen on nuvi 3790v which don't hav "Display On StartUp" icon.any idea...?? :-k :-k
tq

halia_merah

Postby halia_merah » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 pm

halia_merah wrote:
cruxify wrote:Good day to fellow Garmin 3790 users!
I am trying to set my customised splash screen to my unit in the horizontal manner but to no avail. Seems like the splash screen can only appear in a potrait manner. Any senior can help?

P/S Where can I get free Taiwan maps? Been search and google-ing but just can't find one that work... Thank you!

:)

hi bro.!!!wonder how to set splash screen on nuvi 3790v which don't hav "Display On StartUp" icon.any idea...?? :-k :-k
tq

?????nobody can help?

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:30 am

halia_merah wrote:hi bro.!!!wonder how to set splash screen on nuvi 3790v which don't hav "Display On StartUp" icon.any idea...?? :-k :-k
tq

Please clarify what you are trying to achieve :-?

Are you trying ti change he splash screen picture or are you trying to have Nuvi "not" display the splash screen ?

The display of the splash screen is part of the boot-up / screen saver procedure of the Nuvi.

shawnk

Postby shawnk » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 am

Just got a Nuvi 3970v. Thinking of buying microSD for it. What do I need to watch out for? is MicroSD CL4-10 works with the device?
Or someone points me to some FAQ section for 3970v that contains the above information. Thanks.

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:47 pm

shawnk wrote:Just got a Nuvi 3970v. Thinking of buying microSD for it. What do I need to watch out for? is MicroSD CL4-10 works with the device?
Or someone points me to some FAQ section for 3970v that contains the above information. Thanks.

I have bought the Class 6 and 8Gb is the max recognized for acceptance Nuvi units will respond on.

A waste of money if you try more Gb or speedier Class past the 6 for this is due to Garmin's processor built into to serve the data meant mainly for GPS routing.... hence, any further MM usage becomes unimportant and least relevant in their vision...:((
Image ~ Cruiser ~

Return to “GPS Devices”