How to use Garmin Mapsource

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
wong chun wai

Re: How to use Garmin Mapsource

Postby wong chun wai » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:02 am

Why do I get this problem? Kindly assist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:57 am

wong chun wai wrote:Why do I get this problem? Kindly assist.

Your mapsource installed map is an older version vs the one on your device. Update your map on mapsource to latest and re-try sync with your device.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:09 am

@wong chun wai, even if you're using similar version in device and Mapsource, there is really no point receiving Maps from device. And since there are usually extra maps in the GMAPSUPP.IMG which are not available in the Mapsource version (ie. Road POI map), you would get such errors when receiving Maps.
wong chun wai wrote:Why do I get this problem? Kindly assist.
So my advise is just untick Maps when receiving data from device.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Boxster

Postby Boxster » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi

I would like to know if it is required to "uninstall" map from mapsource or I can just delete the whole directory containing the map
(the maps are such as OpenStreetMap which I no longer requires them)

Thanks

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm

You should uninstall the mapsource product either using "Add or Remove Programs" or the uninstaller found at the installed folder. Never remove/delete the map folder (before uninstalling) as this will cause Mapsource to crash.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

froggyman

Postby froggyman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi,
I am trying to reduce the map size by extracting only the singapore & Malaysia map from the weekly Malaysia-singapore GPS map file using mapsource.
I managed to find & send the POI & polygon data (by clicking the map) to a SD cards.
However, after copy the new gmapsupp map file to my mobile phone, i am unable to use the ADDRESSES function to search by postal code
(It said detailed maps are required for this feature).

Add on: Just try using it in the car.. can't even find the starting point..Seems like i got the whole thing wrong.
What have i missed out? :-?
Please advice. :tq:
Thanks.
:rox:
Previously, using the easy way of just generating the map by the exe file...no problem face in using the ADDRESSES function.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:13 pm

froggyman wrote:Hi,
I am trying to reduce the map size by extracting only the singapore & Malaysia map from the weekly Malaysia-singapore GPS map file using mapsource.
I managed to find & send the POI & polygon data (by clicking the map) to a SD cards.
However, after copy the new gmapsupp map file to my mobile phone, i am unable to use the ADDRESSES function to search by postal code
(It said detailed maps are required for this feature).

Add on: Just try using it in the car.. can't even find the starting point..Seems like i got the whole thing wrong.
What have i missed out? :-?
Please advice. :tq:
Thanks.
:rox:
Previously, using the easy way of just generating the map by the exe file...no problem face in using the ADDRESSES function.

Wrong way of extracting maps from mapsource. Try this viewtopic.php?p=114187#p114187

Alternatively suggest you read the Mapsource tutorial from this link : http://www.bestbikingroads.com/useful_d ... orial1.pdf

On how to extract maps, read page 18 of how to use the Map Tool of Mapsource.

If you are in Singapore, join in the coming GG for real time tutorial from seniors
Venue: Botak Jones @Toa Payoh (N1 20.565 E103 51.004)
Date: 28-Nov-2010 (Sunday)
Time: 11am onwards
Link : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9228

froggyman

Postby froggyman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:30 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Wrong way of extracting maps from mapsource. Try this viewtopic.php?p=114187#p114187

Alternatively suggest you read the Mapsource tutorial from this link : http://www.bestbikingroads.com/useful_d ... orial1.pdf

On how to extract maps, read page 18 of how to use the Map Tool of Mapsource.

If you are in Singapore, join in the coming GG for real time tutorial from seniors
Venue: Botak Jones @Toa Payoh (N1 20.565 E103 51.004)
Date: 28-Nov-2010 (Sunday)
Time: 11am onwards
Link : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9228

Hi, Silverbeauty
Thanks for the links. =D>
After reading thru, the problem was i didn't use the drag over method to capture all the data. ](*,)
Will try again on the mapsource.

Thanks for the invitation....Will try to join the GG if time permit.

froggyman

Postby froggyman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 pm

after going thru the link provided by silverbeauty, managed to re-created a smaller map.
Seems to be working fine :) ..tested with the route from home to office.

Some more questions..
As i am using mobile XT version, i usually tick "Exclude colour polygons" when using the map generator,
So do i need to remove the polygons map file when re-creating the map??
I am trying to mean that by :
remove polygons map file in mapsource = exclude colour polgons in map generator ???

Any kind soul can give some advice.
Thanks. :tq:

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 am

froggyman wrote:after going thru the link provided by silverbeauty, managed to re-created a smaller map.
Seems to be working fine :) ..tested with the route from home to office.

Some more questions..
As i am using mobile XT version, i usually tick "Exclude colour polygons" when using the map generator,
So do i need to remove the polygons map file when re-creating the map??
I am trying to mean that by :
remove polygons map file in mapsource = exclude colour polgons in map generator ???

Any kind soul can give some advice.
Thanks. :tq:

Depending on your resources of your phone, it is better to remove the polygons during installation of map by executable MFM file

Return to “Library”