How to contribute POIs & Tracks using Garmin Mapsource

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
fancheng
Senior Mapper

How to contribute POIs & Tracks using Garmin Mapsource

Postby fancheng » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Read MFM contribution guide for Points of Interests (POI) to understand what POIs are required

Software tools needed: Mapsource. Further reading here... viewtopic.php?p=1977#p1977

Connect Garmin device to Mapsource

Download waypoints to Mapsource

Adjust position of waypoints

Rename waypoints

Rename tracklogs

Save file

Post your contribution to MFM forum
  1. Pls check in 'regional' (F-NPM Feedback or others) for place u want to contribute, Pls don't simply create New Topics
    ("Penang Island Tracks", "Seberang Perai Selatan Tracks", "POIs for F-NPM" or others)
  2. Feed back error pls capture screen of location of error
  3. If POIs & road name wrong or POI not more there, pls name u wayponit
  • Rename to xxxxx
  • Remove/delete xxxxx
  • Relocate to xxxxx

Photoscape is the fun and easy photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance photos.
Photoscape is provided free-of-charge.
Key Features
  • Viewer: View your folders photos, slideshow
  • Editor: resizing, brightness and color adjustment, white balance, backlight correction, frames, balloons, mosaic mode, adding text, drawing pictures, cropping, filters, red eye removal, blooming
  • Batch editor: Batch editing multiple photos
  • Page: Make one photo by merging multiple photos at the page frame
  • Combine: Make one photo by attaching multiple photos vertically or horizontally
  • Animated GIF: Make one animation photo with multiple photos
  • Print: Print portrait shot, carte de visite, passport photo
  • Splitter: Divide a photo into multiple parts
  • Screen Capture: Capture your screenshot and save it
  • Color Picker: Zoom in screen on images, search and pick the color
  • Rename: Change photo file names in batch mode
  • Raw Converter: Convert RAW to JPG
  • Paper Print: Print lined, graph, music, calendar papers
  • Face Search: Find similar faces on the internet

Photoscape is a very good editing photo software

Srceen Capture Tool

:tq: :welcome: :rox:

alyem
Regional Mapper

Re: How to contribute POIs & Track by using Garmin Mapsource

Postby alyem » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Bro Fancheng..

You are the best... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Bro fancheng,
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Well Done. :good:
Your are the :champ: :champ: :champ:
:rox:

boon

Postby boon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to contribute a few POIs near where I stay, everything is find on the first part but will would need more guidance on the Track part. Thanks.

double

Postby double » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Bro,

Very detailed and easy to follow guides for newbies like me. Only thing it hasn't worked for me yet! Please help! I'm using GMXT on my n93i. I have my locations and tracks saved in my handphone. Even the tracks show on my handphone's map as a I have it saved. Only problem is, when I load Mapsource and try to "receive" the POIs and tracks from the "device" it says "The selected device has no maps, waypoints, routes, or tracks on it" Where did everything I saved go? Frustrated as I am keen on contributing new tracks and POIs to MFM.

fancheng
Senior Mapper

Postby fancheng » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:46 pm

boon wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to contribute a few POIs near where I stay, everything is find on the first part but will would need more guidance on the Track part. Thanks.

I update more later, I can't say when for now a bit busy helping Bro OngCC doing SG map. :ko:

double wrote:Bro,

Very detailed and easy to follow guides for newbies like me. Only thing it hasn't worked for me yet! Please help! I'm using GMXT on my n93i. I have my locations and tracks saved in my handphone. Even the tracks show on my handphone's map as a I have it saved. Only problem is, when I load Mapsource and try to "receive" the POIs and tracks from the "device" it says "The selected device has no maps, waypoints, routes, or tracks on it" Where did everything I saved go? Frustrated as I am keen on contributing new tracks and POIs to MFM.

May I ask how do u save waypoints in handphone ? normal GMXT the waypoints will save at SD card Garmin folder example :"H:\Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx"

BTW GMXT track log are not very good. If do tracking there few software u can try Nokia Sport Tracker, RaceChrono version 1.10 and AFTrack v1.21 and others u try search in google "GPS Tracking for Symbian.

double

Postby double » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks bro (Fancheng)! I thought that GMXT would save the tracks in the GPX folder as well, but when I loaded up the SD Card and looked, it just wasn't there. Gave up on that so I took up your suggestion on the other trackers anyway. Managed to find and read some other threads on the reviews and decided to try RaceChrono.

It seems to track perfectly. I re-saved it as a *.GPX again (as recommended from someone in another thread) and loaded it up into Mapsource and saved it as a GDB file.

Shall make my first attempt at contributing something later in the appropriate region page! Hope I've done this right!

tien8tien

Postby tien8tien » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:58 am

Hi there, I'm currently using Nuvi 205W. Is there a way that I can contribute new tracks using this unit? I could not find the setting for this unit to collect tracklogs at 1 second intervals. Please advise. Thanks!

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:25 am

tien8tien wrote:Hi there, I'm currently using Nuvi 205W. Is there a way that I can contribute new tracks using this unit? I could not find the setting for this unit to collect tracklogs at 1 second intervals. Please advise. Thanks!

Note, Nuvi 205W cannot get 1 second intervals track, and cannot easily turn off locking to roads.

However, Nuvi 205W can do "most often" tracks (triplog), that records trackpoints at varying 3s to 20s intervals. You can sort of turn off locking to roads, by totally switching off the map. Very necessary to do that else the triplog will snap to the nearest road in the map. The resultant "most often, no map" tracks from Nuvi 205W, may be useful to our mappers if there is no existing roads at all in that area. However, our mappers really really prefer 1 second track logs because it is much more accurate and much much easier to interpret, particular at junctions.

When submitting such "most often, no map", it is even more important for you to review the tracks in Mapsource and add clarification waypoints to areas where the lack of 1 second trackpoints makes the tracks unclear (hard to interpret).
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

J2EE

Postby J2EE » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:19 am

Hi There, I'm very new to GPS and having got a set myself (Nuvi 205W), I would like to contribute. I have read most of the FAQs and try to follow instructions on how to to contribute. Got my Mapsource up and running after dabbling with it for about 2 weeks trying to install it. Ok, it's up and running and I am ready to contribute. Got a few waypoints and proceeded to click on "receive from device" icon. Mapsource recognise my 205w and I clicked on "Waypoints" and then "Receive". Error message that came out "There was a problem communicating with the Garmin device". I can send waypoints to my 205W but not receiving from the 205W.

Now, I am truly frustrated with this and did a lot of seaches to solve this problem. No luck. Anyone can lend a hand ? Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But, what the heck !
Gray hairs are signs of wisdom if you hold your tongue, speak and they are but hairs, as in the young - Philo

Garmin Nuvi 1350
Papago X8 OEM SE on Passion OBU
M8 Papago on iPhone 3GS

Return to “Library”