Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby chaicka » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:50 pm

FrancisTLim wrote:
yoladu wrote:Antenna length per se is not important but what is critical is that the antenna length must match the frequency wave length.

Ahh... Just to avoid misunderstanding, I am referring to the external visible stub length of the aerial on the set. Most (I hope) manufacturers try to have the actual wire length of the aerial to "match" (ie. electrically match) the frequency, but after that, they coil the length of the aerial wire into a short stub. This is to save space. Wire length is about 16cm for quarter-wave aerial at GMRS/FRS frequencies. Most GMRS/FRS sets I have seen have stubby aerials of lengths between 3cm to 7cm. If you cut open the rubber/plastic shell of the aerial of a GMRS/FRS set, you will see what I mean.

It is the external visible length of this rubber coated aerial of the GMRS/FRS set that I am referring to because that is what you can see when you buy the set. Generally speaking, the longer this aerial is, the better the range. I tested quite a number of sets when I was in the USA, and this proves to be true. Even the lower power sets with longer looking aerials give better range than the supposedly higher power sets with shorter looking aerials.

Good explanation. Maybe while still hunting for replacement set, I can get a longer antenna for my 8-miles set. At the least, that should boost its performance a little bit more.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:52 pm

dvpro wrote:
chaicka wrote:...
I am looking at getting replacement sets to replace my almost decade old 8-miles set, and it has to be compatible with most common motorola sets coz often used by pple in road trips that I join.

If you don't mind using illegal set :-' , a 4 Watt- Puxing PX-888 or Puxing PX-777 may fit the bill. Frequency can be input using keypad and with frequency range between 400~470MHz (UHF model), it should cover US FRS channels (maybe minus CTCSS tones). If I remember correctly, a friend of mine bought his PX-888 for about RM500/pc. A feature I find interesting with PX-888 is the dual channel watch, ie. main channel can be set for group communication, while the secondary channel for private communication with your partner.

Wow... good specs for RM500/pc. Possible to PM me where I can get it?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 am

chaicka wrote:Wow... good specs for RM500/pc. Possible to PM me where I can get it?

PM'ed. :)
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

tks

Postby tks » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:53 am

yoladu wrote:if you want a UHF radio that has good range, get an Icom radio, they have an output of 4w but they have a professional outlook.

I am using these radios for leisure when overseas, and the last thing I want is to be detained by foreign authorities for using something that may not have been licenced. So, I do want only those radios that are licence-free or at least look like one. Anything that looks like the Motorola FRS radios will be good. Not something too professional. Any recommendations on a FRS radio with very good range? Icom actually has a FRS radio but stated range is only 2 miles.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/ ... tions.aspx

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 am

tks wrote:
yoladu wrote:if you want a UHF radio that has good range, get an Icom radio, they have an output of 4w but they have a professional outlook.

I am using these radios for leisure when overseas, and the last thing I want is to be detained by foreign authorities for using something that may not have been licenced. So, I do want only those radios that are licence-free or at least look like one. Anything that looks like the Motorola FRS radios will be good. Not something too professional. Any recommendations on a FRS radio with very good range? Icom actually has a FRS radio but stated range is only 2 miles.

FRS Radios are just walkie talkies on channels 1-7 FM band ( 462-467Mhz) with max 500mW power. Do not expect much range on such small power. Plenty of choices at SLS or neighbour-hood HarveyNorman / Courts / Giant .....

My suggestion, go for the Motorola units but if money no limit, get Garmin Rino :mrgreen: :-'

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:25 pm

tks wrote:I am using these radios for leisure when overseas, and the last thing I want is to be detained by foreign authorities for using something that may not have been licenced. So, I do want only those radios that are licence-free or at least look like one. Anything that looks like the Motorola FRS radios will be good. Not something too professional. Any recommendations on a FRS radio with very good range? Icom actually has a FRS radio but stated range is only 2 miles.

that Icom model could be difficult to buy in Singapore.

If you want a well built UHF radio with plenty of useful features, and can inter-operate with regular FRS radios, I recommend the Motorola GP2000. It is about SGD225 each

http://www.sheetalwireless.net/product% ... GP2000.pdf
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

bulbasaurhamster

Postby bulbasaurhamster » Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi, I am from Singapore and live at Woodlands. Currently I own a Motorola FV200 FRS/GMRS 2 way radio 5mile optimum condition. I am aware that FRS radio has a maximun power output og 0.5w. However, what happens if I tune to GMRS channels? Will the power output increase or remain at 0.5w for my hybrid radio?

Next my radio is the US type that operates in the 462-461MHz. From your previous post, you has indicated that IDA Singapore does not allow such frequency to be use. But why do many people use such frequency in the city like at City Hall, Raffles Place there? Even schools are even using that frequency which I can hear on my radio.

Lalatbotak
Location: Seri Kembangan- Nuvi 610, Garmin etrex H,Lakatoo 1000

WHERE TO REPAIR MY WALKIE TALKIE IN KL?

Postby Lalatbotak » Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 am

One of my units is sending signals non stop............until battery kaput.
The " Press To Talk" button is jammed I supposed.

So..where in KL can I send it for repairs?

Best Regards

Lalatbotak

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Mon May 31, 2010 10:57 am

bulbasaurhamster wrote:Hi, I am from Singapore and live at Woodlands. Currently I own a Motorola FV200 FRS/GMRS 2 way radio 5mile optimum condition. I am aware that FRS radio has a maximun power output og 0.5w. However, what happens if I tune to GMRS channels? Will the power output increase or remain at 0.5w for my hybrid radio?

Next my radio is the US type that operates in the 462-461MHz. From your previous post, you has indicated that IDA Singapore does not allow such frequency to be use. But why do many people use such frequency in the city like at City Hall, Raffles Place there? Even schools are even using that frequency which I can hear on my radio.

"Caveat emptor" ... use at your own risk.

If you get caught, you can be prosecuted for using a non IDA approved set. Consumer ignorance is a poor excuse :-'

silverbeauty

Re: WHERE TO REPAIR MY WALKIE TALKIE IN KL?

Postby silverbeauty » Mon May 31, 2010 10:58 am

Lalatbotak wrote:One of my units is sending signals non stop............until battery kaput.
The " Press To Talk" button is jammed I supposed.

So..where in KL can I send it for repairs?

Best Regards

Lalatbotak

Please state your unit brand / model. :-'

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”