Papago-specific Feedback for Penang, Kedah, Perlis

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Kedah, Penang & Perlis. Mapper: OngCC

Moderators: tympg, keong8260, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Re: Navigation error

Postby JasonLee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:17 pm

tympg wrote:Jason, Peter's right.

The issue is that Papago is guiding users to do an illegal right-turn from Macalister (town side) to Anson (MGS side), whereas Garmin will not.

I've been busy so I haven't been able to pass this info on to the MfM Papago team, and even when I finally do, there's no telling when this issue will be resolved.

Moral of the story: Don't believe everything your GPS tells you! :mrgreen:

I didn't know because I use only Garmin maps in my devices and in MapSource.

Sorry Bro Peter for misunderstanding you.

What can I say... do not ignore the GPS because many of our contributors and mappers have put in much effort but choose your map wisely.
Lean not on your own understanding

Peter Yee

Postby Peter Yee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi bro. Jason and to all the moderators and regional mappers.
Tks for your understanding.
I felt it is my responsibility to highlight the issue so that it can be resolved soon.
I have bought the Papago Z1 less than three weeks ago and discovered the issue while passing through Malacalister Rd (Public Bank). I am pleased that all of us have understood it. Tq once again.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:20 am

Bro Ace,

It is true that such error Can and Will be a disastrous mistake given the severity of the mistake. But,... as Bro tympg highlighted things don't get done the way it should be done due to many reasons beyond our control.

This is one such mistake locals like us don't detect because most of us don't drive around town with a GPS 'ON'... Great that Peter found it.

The GPS is for guidance, The Brain is for Driving safely... :mrgreen:
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Peter Yee

Postby Peter Yee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Dear bro. tympg,

There ia another map issue here. While driving along Jalan Dato Ismail Hashim on the way to Pen Mutiara, I was directed by the GPS to turn right at the junction to Jalan Bayan Lepas. To my surprise, there was a "no right turn" sign. So I was forced to turn left. Please look into the issue so that the map can be improved upon.
Tq.

eddy_duyung
Contributor
Location: Tinggi Island,Johore. Garmin Mobile XT,nüvi 50LM,nüvi 880,nüvi 255W,nüvi 2465

Postby eddy_duyung » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Yes...this GPS just for guidance,i never give 100% trusted for it,and my principal,i'll take my route which i know beside the route guide by GPS,
only if i'm really blank about thats road,then the GPS WON !!,,ad list i have something to refer beyond unknown road / route,better to have something than nothing for reference.But so far my GPS unit didnt disappointed me,since from Garmin Mobile XT to real Garmin unit.Papago ..i got it in my Droid,but never use it until now..so cant give any comment.TQ
Nokia 5800XM , Garmin nüvi 50LM,Garmin nüvi 880,Garmin nüvi 255W,Garmin nüvi 2465

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 am

Peter Yee wrote:Dear bro. tympg,

There ia another map issue here. While driving along Jalan Dato Ismail Hashim on the way to Pen Mutiara, I was directed by the GPS to turn right at the junction to Jalan Bayan Lepas. To my surprise, there was a "no right turn" sign. So I was forced to turn left. Please look into the issue so that the map can be improved upon.
Tq.

Hi bro Peter,
Thanks for your feedback. I have passed on your observations to MfM's Papago team.

In future when feeding back, if you could include coordinates, it would be easier, as most of MfM's mappers are not familiar with the local roads. For example, I passed on your information in the following format:

• Route from N5.29574 E100.25917 (Jln Dato Ismail Hashim) to N5.29467 E100.25880 (Jalan Bayan Lepas)
    Right turn is not supposed to be allowed, but Papago will allow right turn and Garmin does not.

The coordinate information should be on the Papago screen itself, but for easier reference you could install Garmin MapSource and our Garmin map on your PC.

Have a look at this thread how other members typically feedback stuff on our maps.

Thanks.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

Peter Yee

Re: Papago-specific Feedback for Penang, Kedah, Perlis

Postby Peter Yee » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:51 am

Hi bro. tympg,

Thanks for your invaluable insight into the installation of Garmin MapSource and Garmin Map. I have already done so.

I have also viewed the threads. However there is one information that I need from you. How can I draw directional arrows on the map? I have tried the route option but it does'nt seem to show an arrow. :tq:

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Peter Yee wrote:I have also viewed the threads. However there is one information that I need from you. How can I draw directional arrows on the map? I have tried the route option but it does'nt seem to show an arrow. :tq:

You can use the Track Draw tool (keystroke 't') in MapSource.

For road directions, I often submit a graphic instead (drawn by Paint in Windows) like my post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19&start=17

Peter Yee

Postby Peter Yee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi bro. tympg,

There is another feedback I need to submit.

The route from N 5.38575 E 100.27586 (Lebuhraya Thean Tek) to N 5.38583 E 100.27655 (Lebuh Rambai 14).

Right turn is not supposed to be allowed, but Papago will allow right turn.

Thanks.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 am

OK, I think we can safely say now, all the Turn Restrictions we have in the mappers' files are not translating well into Papago format.

Henceforth, report if there's a Turn Restriction that actually works in Papago.

Thanks.

Return to “Penang, Kedah & Perlis Map Feedback”