General Discussion & Queries for Penang, Kedah & Perlis Map

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Kedah, Penang & Perlis. Mapper: OngCC

Moderators: tympg, keong8260, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sandmanz
Contributor

Re: General Discussion & Queries for Penang, Kedah & Perlis

Postby sandmanz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Need confirmation on the official and correct spelling for a road in Alor Setar town.
Which one is correct?
1. Jalan Teluk Wanjah
2. Jalan Teluk Wan Jah (in MFM map)
3. Jalan Telok Wanjah (picture at site)
4. Jalan Telok Wan Jah

Picture taken at this location: N6 07.277 E100 22.877

:tq: :rox:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 pm

sandmanz wrote:Need confirmation on the official and correct spelling for a road in Alor Setar town.
Which one is correct?
1. Jalan Teluk Wanjah
4. Jalan Telok Wan Jah

A very good question...

If I not mistaken, there is a signboard some where along that road spell Jalan Teluk Wan Jah.

Let use the address of Great Eastern Life Assurance (from your screen capture), you can clearly see there is 2 "official" spelling... Jalan Telok Wan Jah and Jalan Telok Wanjah. So, which one is correct?

Is there any place we can verify, JKR, Jabatan Tanah, etc etc etc... Please suggest and I will go to that department for verification.

Another classic example is a place name near my workplace, the official signboard from East is Sungai Bongkok while the signboard from West is Sungai Bongkoh. So, which one is correct? I ask the local, some say Bongkok, some say Bongkoh! (Both also claim that they are using "Melayu Baru"... :ko: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alharis299
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Postby alharis299 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:32 am

keong8260 wrote:
sandmanz wrote:Need confirmation on the official and correct spelling for a road in Alor Setar town.
Which one is correct?
1. Jalan Teluk Wanjah
4. Jalan Telok Wan Jah

A very good question...

If I not mistaken, there is a signboard some where along that road spell Jalan Teluk Wan Jah.

Let use the address of Great Eastern Life Assurance (from your screen capture), you can clearly see there is 2 "official" spelling... Jalan Telok Wan Jah and Jalan Telok Wanjah. So, which one is correct?

Is there any place we can verify, JKR, Jabatan Tanah, etc etc etc... Please suggest and I will go to that department for verification.

Another classic example is a place name near my workplace, the official signboard from East is Sungai Bongkok while the signboard from West is Sungai Bongkoh. So, which one is correct? I ask the local, some say Bongkok, some say Bongkoh! (Both also claim that they are using "Melayu Baru"... :ko: )

Jalan Telok Wanjah :thumbsup:

sandmanz
Contributor

Postby sandmanz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:37 am

Bro keong8260, i also don't know where to check. Maybe Majlis Bandaraya Alor Setar (MBAS)?. I remembered during highschool for a geography assigment, i went there to photocopy the latest map for alor setar town. They must have the official name.

However, checking at this site http://www.townplan.gov.my/new_web/hubungi.php (jabatan perancangan bandar dan desa semenanjung malaysia).. you can't be more official that that right?.. noticed at the bottom page there is an address with "Jalan Telok Wanjah". Quick search for most goverment agencies in alor setar also revealed that all are using either "Jalan Telok Wanjah" or "Jalan Telok Wan Jah".

alharis299
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Postby alharis299 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:40 am

sandmanz wrote:Bro keong8260, i also don't know where to check. Maybe Majlis Bandaraya Alor Setar (MBAS)?. I remembered during highschool for a geography assigment, i went there to photocopy the latest map for alor setar town. They must have the official name.

However, checking at this site http://www.townplan.gov.my/new_web/hubungi.php (jabatan perancangan bandar dan desa semenanjung malaysia).. you can't be more official that that right?.. noticed at the bottom page there is an address with "Jalan Telok Wanjah". Quick search for most goverment agencies in alor setar also revealed that all are using either "Jalan Telok Wanjah" or "Jalan Telok Wan Jah".

Jalan Telok Wanjah

just follow signboard :thumbsup:

sandmanz
Contributor

Postby sandmanz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:50 am

Ok.. i haven't been to this place yet at N6 07.435 E100 22.772. Is there anything special or some VIP house? Buried treasure maybe? =P~ There's no description, only "--". What could it be? :-k Hmmmm.

alharis299
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Postby alharis299 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:56 am

sandmanz wrote:Ok.. i haven't been to this place yet at N6 07.435 E100 22.772. Is there anything special or some VIP house? Buried treasure maybe? =P~ There's no description, only "--". What could it be? :-k Hmmmm.

2 possiblities

1) Maybe Polygon Mapper was wrongly press -- button i/o label it or press esc key
2) Maybe it some kind of security codes to prevent our map from being copied by other ...

=D>
:peace:
:rox:

OF COURSE I'M LYING

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:30 pm

alharis299 wrote:
sandmanz wrote:Ok.. i haven't been to this place yet at N6 07.435 E100 22.772. Is there anything special or some VIP house? Buried treasure maybe? =P~ There's no description, only "--". What could it be? :-k Hmmmm.

2 possiblities

1) Maybe Polygon Mapper was wrongly press -- button i/o label it or press esc key
2) Maybe it some kind of security codes to prevent our map from being copied by other ...

=D>
:peace:
:rox:

OF COURSE I'M LYING

:-$

keong8260
Regional Mapper

Postby keong8260 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Jalan Teluk Wan Jah change to Jalan Telok Wanjah! :peace:

mucha

Postby mucha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:40 am

Dear moderator(s) and seniors,

I got location for speed trap at Pauh,to which place shall put it ? I got it on lat and long.

Thanks

Return to “Penang, Kedah & Perlis Map Feedback”