Fixing the continuous recalculation problem

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: Fixing the continuous recalculation problem

Postby antyong (retired) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:40 pm

sharkteef wrote:
upon the u-turn i made along LDP @ Jalan SS2/55.

Perhaps my statement was blurry. Anyway, here's what happened and is still happening to me.

Destination from SS2/73 (in-law's house)
Destination to Aman Suria (say kayu or something)
GMXT and Nuvi 205w plots route to drive via LDP heading towards Kelana Jaya.
I refuse due to massive jam encounters.
So i exit to LDP @ SS2/75 and make a U-Turn via SS2/55 LDP (as shown on wikimapia in 1st post of mine)
Due to extremely slow moving traffic, recalculation only begins after i pass Petronas/BHP petrol station.
Continously re-calculating for several times. Pink route still showing initial calculated route which is heading through Kelana Jaya LDP.
300-500m later after the U-Turn should be near KDU/indian cemetary.
Finally a proper re-calculation appears and shows me the proper route to where i am heading which is towards sprint highway/kayu ara/bandar utama centerpoint.

So in other words, i get the designation a lil bit late. sometimes too late to make a turn out of LDP heading to Kayu Ara. if i didnt know my way around, i'll be heading to the Damansara Utama Tunnel and miss the turning when i should be keeping left.
This could be an annoyance if people from out of town came and used this particular route. As we know, the LDP after KDU/indian cemetary, one will need to know which lane to keep to. unfortunately both my devices always end up re-calculating till i hit very near the indian cemetary. a very risky situation and detour is a long way.

the times i am in are always in the early evenings. clear weather still sunny. (pasar malam in ss2 is on mondays and thursdays so the jam is pretty horrible)
i cannot be moving very fast and neither am i under the bridge at the u-turn for very long. so i doubt something is affecting the signal.

thanks in advance for advice.

I think bro sharkteef's case is another kind of multiple recalculation. This kind of recalculation is due to the weak processing power of symbian phones. I faced this problem many times with my E65.

I think what happened was:
1. When sharkteef U-turned, MXT recalculated and recommended SS 22/48 -> SS 22/43 -> SPRINT -> Tropicana Selatan -> so on
2. By the time MXT completes recalculation, sharkteef had already passed the SS 22/48 junction. MXT recalculated again and recommended SS 22/41 -> SS 22/43 -> SPRINT -> Tropicana Selatan -> so on
3. By the time MXT completes recalculation, sharkteef had already passed the SS 22/41 junction. MXT recalculated again and finally recommended turn left to SPRINT at DU I/C -> Tropicana Selatan -> so on. Recalculation stopped.

Bro sharkteef, you can verify my guess by taking SS 22/48 -> SS 22/43 -> SPRINT -> Tropicana Selatan -> so on and see whether there is any recalculation again.

What bro sharkteef encountered in different from others. We still need to investigate other kinds of continuous recalculations.

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Interesting fact about recalculating.

There is NO RECALCULATION, if you are traveling on the parallel road in the same direction as the calculated route. See pic for better understanding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 pm

yah i got the same case as bro tuah also. mostly what i get is travelling on the parallel road in shah alam area.

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:33 pm

This Recalculation problem up again.

I hv oredi forgot my nuvi has this problem, becos few latest version of MFM map, so far never happen continous recalculation problem.
Just forgot which version of MFM onward, No more continuous recalculation problem.
:prayer: antyong always solve our problem.
:tq: :good:
:rox:

chlesoh
Contributor

Postby chlesoh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:48 pm

tuah wrote:Interesting fact about recalculating.

There is NO RECALCULATION, if you are traveling on the parallel road in the same direction as the calculated route. See pic for better understanding.

The above "non-recalculating" situation has been highlighted before. I did notice if our new position or detoured route is still within 300M of distance from the suggested route, then it won't recalculate. This is an issue. As I know that garmin map doesn't have such issue. It re-calculates as soon as we detour. We need to find out where is the bug.

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 am

will it help or ease if we set it to show at gps location instead of on the road ? i gotto go try this later in the afternoon.

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:19 am

sharkteef wrote:will it help or ease if we set it to show at gps location instead of on the road ? i gotto go try this later in the afternoon.

I think it won't help unless the deviation is more than (200m or 300m ??) as mention by bro chlesoh. It could be due to road position and gps position not being syncronize - a layman thinker :mrgreen:

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Just my finding on the Re-Calculating problem with the new MFM Maps. Since v1.43a (now using v1.44) there are no instances of recalculating. The route (N5 20.225 E100 17.509) I take everyday is very prone to this problem and having a recalculating free route for 2 weeks is a welcome sight. Will load the older version to verify (GMXT vs Nuvi comparison).... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Postby 76gpsguy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:11 pm

moeyhc wrote:Just my finding on the Re-Calculating problem with the new MFM Maps. Since v1.43a (now using v1.44) there are no instances of recalculating. The route (N5 20.225 E100 17.509) I take everyday is very prone to this problem and having a recalculating free route for 2 weeks is a welcome sight. Will load the older version to verify (GMXT vs Nuvi comparison).... cheers!

Hi Bro, please try older version after v1.30. If I remember correctly, this issue had been resolved since v1.31. :D

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Bro,

I can confirm that using v1.36 gives the same problem. Couldn't remember if v1.40-1.42 behave the same...this is the problem when the Updates are so frequent that not much can be observed...a very good problem thou.. =D> Will keep you all posted... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Return to “Project Room”