Cut the link to avoid route to hazards roads

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sunn
Senior Mapper
Location: Shah Alam (HP4150 & SIRF3 BT, HP6515, Etrex Legend HCX, Omnia i900 16GB, Samsung Note 2, Ipad 2

Re: Cut the link to avoid route to hazards roads

Postby sunn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 am

Under the Route Objectives->Routing in GPSMapedits. Both Motorcar and Motorcycle is classified as one :cry:

So is there a way to specifically classify roads only for Car or Motorcycle? :-k
It is a merit to forgive others:
The more we forgive the more merit we collect.

(Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs. )

shideen
Senior Mapper

Postby shideen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 pm

OOppps #-o
road object.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nuvi200, 255W, GMXT on N5800, 60csx, Papago X3 (EastGear), Galactio V8

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:40 pm

sunn wrote:
Sorry Bro,

Just read your post.

User will not be able to route through as we split the road in the middle. This will prevent User new to the area going through alley roads from one highway to another, or in some other way, in just a short distance unless it is routed to that particular road. Either directions, the user will be able to route to the splitted road.

Setting your GPSr to use shortest route will not only route you through alley road but also unpaved roads as well.

Mappers will have to made the decision to split the roads and also from user feedbacks.

Yes bro sun...

Alley roads like roads in cemetery for example... me as a user lets say now in cemetery try to route out from it. GPS wont route to the nearest exit as the roads already split. So for me to browse the map to look for better route before drive away, i see a remark says "Split in purpose" at the disconnected joint, I understand that road can access physically. So the choice is back to the user to take the road.

If no remark, then user may think that road is not connected... or later some members thought there was an error and request you to fix the link.

sunn
Senior Mapper
Location: Shah Alam (HP4150 & SIRF3 BT, HP6515, Etrex Legend HCX, Omnia i900 16GB, Samsung Note 2, Ipad 2

Postby sunn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:50 pm

doraemon wrote:Yes bro sun...

Alley roads like roads in cemetery for example... me as a user lets say now in cemetery try to route out from it. GPS wont route to the nearest exit as the roads already split. So for me to browse the map to look for better route before drive away, i see a remark says "Split in purpose" at the disconnected joint, I understand that road can access physically. So the choice is back to the user to take the road.

If no remark, then user may think that road is not connected... or later some members thought there was an error and request you to fix the link.

Yes doraemon,

Will implement in future as you suggested and we need members to feedback for this kind of situation.
It is a merit to forgive others:
The more we forgive the more merit we collect.

(Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs. )

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:27 pm

doraemon wrote:
Yes bro sun...

Dear Bro Doraemon,

I think it is not a good idea to disconnect or 'split' the road just to avoid routing. No matter what we do, it will visually confuse the user into thinking that there is an error.

Perhaps it is better to restrict all traffic like this:
No Routing.jpg

I think this will stop the GPS routing through this polyline but 'should' allow the user to route out of it if the user chose to ignore the routing and intentionally entered the alley. I say 'should' because I have never tried restricting all traffic in the map. May be worth a try though if you can identify an alley that will not create problems for the map in general should things go wrong.

Just my 2 sen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lean not on your own understanding

shideen
Senior Mapper

Postby shideen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:13 pm

I agree with Bro Jason. I think it should work to get out of that place, but will not be considered when calculating routing.
Lets try :-k :-k
Nuvi200, 255W, GMXT on N5800, 60csx, Papago X3 (EastGear), Galactio V8

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:50 am

Oh ya... thats also one of the options to consider.

Return to “Project Room”