Postal Codes For Malaysia

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postal Codes For Malaysia

Postby cwyap » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:04 am

I believe the MFM map does not have postal codes data for Malaysia (did a "Find" in MapSource but came out with Singapore's postal codes).

I am quite keen to help in inputing the Malaysia's postal codes - I think Pos Malaysia still sells the hardcopy version of Malaysia's postal codes (and hopefully it's up to date, at least till end 2008 la :mrgreen: ); gotta get my despatch clerk to go check & buy one next week. There is an online version at http://www.pos.com.my/V1/MAIN2.ASP?c=/v1/Postcode/Mainpage.htm, but that will be painfully slow to use.

If I can get the hardcopy, can anyone let me know how the data input should be? I am using MapSource and have no problem with inputing POIs' coordinates. Should it be (a) identical to marking a POI but with both ends of the road marked, or (b) marked at the middle of the road's length (this one will be quite a challenge)? Any guide from sifus who are experienced with this will be appreciated.

Hahaha... I guess this will be one of my 2010's contributions to MFM (besides new POIs marking and verifying existing POIs & road names for Klang Valley & anywhere else that I happen to be - though slow on this project as office work & domestic chores take precedent :-$ apa boleh buat? sudah kahwin mah :lol: ).
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Re: Postal Codes For Malaysia

Postby fruitplus » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:57 am

Im glad to read what you've posted here.
I see this is a big project thru 2010 & need our young fellas to help about this matter.
Im sure that our admin can see this as a good project & I want to help on this part.
Seems like I'll have time to do mapping in this coming year.
Past + Present = Future

mikelim
Location: Melaka, Dell Axim 50v + Haicom CF GPS + Agis Navigator 2006, Holux 62E + Papago X3, Samsung Ace + X5

Postby mikelim » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:02 pm

I was wondering too and planning to add in the postal codes after the Taman name. eg. Taman MFM (75350)

I guess it will be easier as putting postal codes after every road names is a tedious task.....

just my 2 cent

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:13 pm

mikelim wrote:I was wondering too and planning to add in the postal codes after the Taman name. eg. Taman MFM (75350)

I guess it will be easier as putting postal codes after every road names is a tedious task.....

just my 2 cent

I agree with your opinion.. We can discuss to find the best way to make it
Past + Present = Future

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:06 pm

I think the best way of inputing the postal codes is to follow the contents of the postal codes directory issued by Pos Malaysia; no guess work as to which Taman or Jalan is assigned what numbers. The inputing part shouldn't be much of a problem; it's the how to that needs to be figured out.

Once the proper method of inputing the postal codes is confirmed, then it's finger power time! :thumbsup:
- Chae Richardson

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Malaysia post code conventions are totally different with Sg.

In Sg, 1 building 1 code. So you could navigate with postcode, and it could direct you to specific location. For a stretch 10 terrace houses, it will be 10 postcodes for each has a unique postcode.

But in Malaysia, 1 postcode could easily cover > 10 square KM. Attached is Taiping post code 34000 for example. It covers > 20 square KM. Which I don't see the practicality for it.

I think it would information overload if in cooperate into the main map. 1 way I could think of is make a separate postcode map. Optional install like topo map and polygon during installations to cater other individual needs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:52 pm

doraemon wrote:Malaysia post code conventions are totally different with Sg.

In Sg, 1 building 1 code. So you could navigate with postcode, and it could direct you to specific location. For a stretch 10 terrace houses, it will be 10 postcodes for each has a unique postcode.

But in Malaysia, 1 postcode could easily cover > 10 square KM. Attached is Taiping post code 34000 for example. It covers > 20 square KM. Which I don't see the practicality for it.

I think it would information overload if in cooperate into the main map. 1 way I could think of is make a separate postcode map. Optional install like topo map and polygon during installations to cater other individual needs.

I think the whole Sungai Petani also 08000...

shawchyn
Valued Contributor

Postby shawchyn » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:55 pm

cwyap wrote:I believe the MFM map does not have postal codes data for Malaysia (did a "Find" in MapSource but came out with Singapore's postal codes).

I am quite keen to help in inputing the Malaysia's postal codes - I think Pos Malaysia still sells the hardcopy version of Malaysia's postal codes (and hopefully it's up to date, at least till end 2008 la :mrgreen: ); gotta get my despatch clerk to go check & buy one next week. There is an online version at http://www.pos.com.my/V1/MAIN2.ASP?c=/v1/Postcode/Mainpage.htm, but that will be painfully slow to use.

If I can get the hardcopy, can anyone let me know how the data input should be? I am using MapSource and have no problem with inputing POIs' coordinates. Should it be (a) identical to marking a POI but with both ends of the road marked, or (b) marked at the middle of the road's length (this one will be quite a challenge)? Any guide from sifus who are experienced with this will be appreciated.

Hahaha... I guess this will be one of my 2010's contributions to MFM (besides new POIs marking and verifying existing POIs & road names for Klang Valley & anywhere else that I happen to be - though slow on this project as office work & domestic chores take precedent :-$ apa boleh buat? sudah kahwin mah :lol: ).

count me in for this project!
:peace:
Snake Chia
http://appsblog.snakechia.com
http://www.nearby.com.my

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:57 am

doraemon wrote:But in Malaysia, 1 postcode could easily cover > 10 square KM. Attached is Taiping post code 34000 for example. It covers > 20 square KM. Which I don't see the practicality for it.

That's true, but wouldn't a search for a particular postcode yields a list of road names and that helps narrow things down for someone? It will be helpful for a general search before drilling down to more specific location.

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, if there is a specific set of rules/guidelines as to how to do this (inputing the postcodes into a database for incorporation into MFM map), I'll be happy to do. And for those bros who are willing to lend a hand, we can divide the work among ourselves to speed up the input but we will need to swap the results for QC purpose. Let's wait for the moderators to get back to us on this before proceeding, but I'll get my despatch clerk to check with Pos Malaysia tomorrow if the hardcopy directory is still available.
- Chae Richardson

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Bros, if you are able to compile the complete list of MY postcode in text format, I can try to insert them into our map :)

Just provide me a text file. Example:
47500|SS17
47500|SS18

Return to “Project Room”