Community edit for Google Maps, can be useful for us ...

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sabre23t

Re: Community edit for Google Maps, can be useful for us ...

Postby sabre23t » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:49 pm

chaicka wrote:I can just guess where it will be used: Android phones with GPS feature and Google comes up with its own GPS s/w and maps

Mmm ... I'm already using Google Maps with the GPSr on my WM6.1 Treo Pro. No charges, other than the telco charges. Not a problem if you are already on telco unlimited data packages. Google Maps for Mobile don't store the maps on the phone, but download tiles from the server.

I don't object Google charging those who are willing to pay, as long as they continue their free services to users (Gmail, Googlemaps, etc). Somebody have to pay for all the Googleplex server farms right? 8-)

We're going a bit far off the original topic of "Community edit for Google Maps" though. :-#
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:30 am

I've just googled for export google my maps and found this particularly useful tip ...

Devin Braun, San Diego MTS said ...
This isn't currently "supported" (which means it could go away at any time), but paste the url of the MyMap that you've created in your browser and add &output=kml to the end of it. You'll get a KML file with the coordinates of the route you're working on.

It still works. I just tested that &output=kml on ...
* http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=112770787988981658814.00046ec08643dd9815ed5
* http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=112770787988981658814.00046ec08643dd9815ed5&output=kml

So after collaboratively editing the map on Google MyMaps, we can export it to KML, and use GPSBabel to convert that to GPX/GDB for MFM/MSM contribution. :D

PS: I've tried &output=gpx, but it doesn't work. :(

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:22 am

For Awareness:

Please be sure to understand the Terms of Use.

2. Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not:

(a) access or use the Products or any Content through any technology or means other than those provided in the Products, or through other explicitly authorized means Google may designate (such as through the Google Maps/Google Earth APIs);

(b) copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content or any part thereof;

(c) redistribute, sublicense, rent, publish, sell, assign, lease, market, transfer, or otherwise make the Products or Content available to third parties;

(d) reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Service or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by applicable law;

(e) use the Products in a manner that gives you or any other person access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including but not limited to numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery, and visible map data;

(f) delete, obscure, or in any manner alter any warning, notice (including but not limited to any copyright or other proprietary rights notice), or link that appears in the Products or the Content; or

(g) use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with (i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device; or (ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior.

4. Content in the Products. Google Maps and Google Earth allow you to access and view a variety of content, including but not limited to photographic imagery, map and terrain data, business listings, reviews, traffic, and other related information provided by Google, its licensors, and its users (the "Content"). Additionally, you may choose to access other third party content made available in the Products through Google services such as Google Gadgets. You understand and agree to the following:

(a) Map data, traffic, directions, and related Content are provided for planning purposes only. You may find that weather conditions, construction projects, closures, or other events may cause road conditions or directions to differ from the map results. You should exercise judgment in your use of this Content.

(b) By using the Products, you do not receive any, and Google and/or its licensors and users retain all ownership rights in the Content. You may not use, access or allow others to use or access the Content in any manner not permitted under the Terms, unless you have been specifically permitted to do so by Google or by the owner of that Content, in a separate agreement.

(c) Certain Content is provided under license from third parties, including but not limited to Tele Atlas B.V. ("Tele Atlas"), and is subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights owned by or licensed to Tele Atlas and/or such third parties. You may be held liable for any unauthorized copying or disclosure of this Content. Your use of Tele Atlas Content, including but not limited to printing or use in marketing or promotional materials, is subject to additional restrictions located in the Legal Notices page.

More terms at the Legal Notices -> http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/help/l ... _maps.html

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:55 pm

chaicka wrote:Please be sure to understand the Terms of Use ...
2. Restrictions on Use ...
(a) access or use the Products or any Content ...
(b) copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content ...
4. Content in the Products ...
(c) Certain Content is provided under license from third parties ...

Looks to me this would be in reference to "Content" provided by Google or affiliate.

Where "Additional Content" were uploaded by me to "Google My Maps", from my factual knowledge of locations of business/offices/POIs, I don't believe Google automatically own that "Additional Content". My original licence for the "Additional Content" would still apply, and I can relicense it to anyone else in addition to Google.

I would say clause 4 (c) would apply to me as a third party providing content to Google via "Google My Maps", right? ;-)

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:24 am

sabre23t wrote:
chaicka wrote:Please be sure to understand the Terms of Use ...
2. Restrictions on Use ...
(a) access or use the Products or any Content ...
(b) copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content ...
4. Content in the Products ...
(c) Certain Content is provided under license from third parties ...

Looks to me this would be in reference to "Content" provided by Google or affiliate.

Where "Additional Content" were uploaded by me to "Google My Maps", from my factual knowledge of locations of business/offices/POIs, I don't believe Google automatically own that "Additional Content". My original licence for the "Additional Content" would still apply, and I can relicense it to anyone else in addition to Google.

I would say clause 4 (c) would apply to me as a third party providing content to Google via "Google My Maps", right? ;-)

The 'Third Party' does not refer to consumers/end-users. Open the actual ToS and that 'license from third parties' links to this: http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/help/l ... _maps.html which clearly states the 'third parties' which are corporates.

Return to “Project Room”