Conversion to Magellan Format

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Sockeye

Conversion to Magellan Format

Postby Sockeye » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:04 am

Hi all,

I am running a project for free maps for Magellan GPS (http://www.maps4me.net) and one of my users asked me to convert your great Malaysia map to a Magellan compatible format. This is technically no issue, but I wanted to know if I would be allowed to host it on my site and offer it for download to the public.

I do not intend to change any data, it would only be displayed otherwise and the POI categorys will change. In addition I'd add a digital elevation model (DEM) from SRTM data.

Of course your site will be mentioned as the data source.

Best regards,
Sockeye

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: Conversion to Magellan Format

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 am

Hi Sockeye,

Thanks for your offer. You are welcome to proceed with the creation of our maps in Magellan format and make them available for free download from your site. With your consent, we would also like to make our maps in Magellan format available here at MFM.

In the future, perhaps you can teach us how to do the conversion? [-o<

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Hooray! we have another new hardware option to choose from...

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:47 pm

antyong & sockeye,

Just a thought. As long as the converted magellan format map still follows our 'Free for Everyone' moto, it's a welcome addition of use of MFM map/data.

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:53 pm

antyong wrote:In the future, perhaps you [sockeye] can teach us how to do the conversion?
Quick googling found me this website ...
http://www.msh-tools.com/ "On this site you will find collection of tools created by author to work with Magellan GPS receivers. Most of the programs and "How-to" were posted originally to Mobilemapper, Mapsend_Format and Magellan_Meridian yahoo groups. Here I maintain the latest versions of the programs, updates and new development."

This page describe the Garmin to Magellan conversion via MP format. Looks quite elaborate and involved. :-k

Maybe sockeye have a much easier tool to do that Garmin to Magellan conversion more automatically. 8-)
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:42 pm

how many magellan users in m'sia ?

i still have my old tomtom unit from UK. anyone wanna convert mfm to tomtom maps for me ?
and mah fwen has a knight rider mio. anyone wanna convert mfm to miomaps for him too ?

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Yes... Garmin, Papago, Magellan (coming soon), ... what next? =P~

Many many hardware option to choose! :thumbsup:

limyc

Postby limyc » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:01 pm

when all the gps receiver formats are all represented here, the gps'rs would come to malaysia and enjoy a gps holiday (heaven) 8-)

LLCC

Postby LLCC » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:53 am

Excellent! Looking forward to MFM as THE COMPREHENSIVE site offering free map downloads for all types of GPSr makes.

And finally, a map for my old Magellan Sportrek pro. In this light, may I request that an option be made available in the installer to choose between colour and monochrome displays?

LL

Sockeye

Postby Sockeye » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:57 am

antyong wrote:Hi Sockeye,

Thanks for your offer. You are welcome to proceed with the creation of our maps in Magellan format and make them available for free download from your site. With your consent, we would also like to make our maps in Magellan format available here at MFM.

Hi the Magellan maps for the Triton 400 - 2000 series is online (http://www.maps4me.net/asia/malaysia_and_singapore/) Feel free to also host them on your site.
A smaller sized version for Triton 200, 300 and eXplorist will be online soon, as well as a special editon for Sportrack and Meridian Color.

antyong wrote:In the future, perhaps you can teach us how to do the conversion? [-o<

At the moment it is a lot of manual conversion using 5 different tools... but we are working on automation and I hope we will have a solution in not so far future...

Thanks and best regards,
Sockeye

Return to “Project Room”