Tide Stations in MFM crashes Mapsource

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Tide Stations in MFM crashes Mapsource

Postby stratman2 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:04 am

Hi MFM'ers,

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that predicting tides from the tide stations contained in MFM maps crashes Mapsource 6.1.3.7.

Here's an example - Pulau Rimau tide station (N5.24992 E100.28337). Right click on the icon and you'll see a "Predict Tides" function. Whenever I do this on any of the existing tide stations in MFM, Mapsource gives an error and exits the program, like so:

ScreenShot004.jpg

This happens on both my laptop and home desktop PC.

However, Garmin's Bluechart Pacific 9.5 outputs the tide prediction window without problems:

ScreenShot008.jpg

When the tide prediction is viewed on my eTrex, MFM returns "Inaccurate Result" while selecting the same tidal station (Pulau Rimau) by Bluechart Pacific 9.5 returns the tide prediction correctly though:

Comparison.jpg

I'm wondering if any of the senior mappers could shed some light on this peculiar issue. :-k

Thanks! :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cheers,

Stratman II

OngCC
Senior Mapper

Re: Tide Stations in MFM crashes Mapsource

Postby OngCC » Fri May 08, 2009 8:27 am

Yes, they are not workng with our map. Perhaps need to find out the reason.
Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs.
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11630

76gpsguy
Polygon Mapper

Postby 76gpsguy » Fri May 08, 2009 7:14 pm

OngCC wrote:Yes, they are not workng with our map. Perhaps need to find out the reason.

Hi Bro, what is the input data for tide prediction POI? I think there is a set of parameters attached to each tide prediction POI, with this data then MapSource / Garmin devices only able to compute and show the predicted tide.

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:14 am

OngCC wrote:Yes, they are not workng with our map. Perhaps need to find out the reason.

Thanks bro Ong. Well, the tide prediction feature isn't that critical for MFM as most of us here are land lubbers anyway. :mrgreen: It would be nice if for the sake of total functionality if you could look into this in your spare time. :thumbsup:
cheers,

Stratman II

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Sat May 09, 2009 3:00 am

I don't think cgpsmapper supports tide tables. The only reference to tide in cgpsmapper faq is this line
- Tide points are not supported (there are no plans to do it)
somewhere under Ver 0080.
http://flavors.me/nyem

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:06 am

nyem wrote:I don't think cgpsmapper supports tide tables. The only reference to tide in cgpsmapper faq is this line
- Tide points are not supported (there are no plans to do it)
somewhere under Ver 0080.

TQ bro Nyem. You may have just solved the mystery! I guess this out of the mapper's hands now since it's the compiler's restrictions. I'll just use Bluechart's tide tables then as it's Garmin compiled anyway.

:tq:
cheers,

Stratman II

chlesoh
Contributor

Postby chlesoh » Sat May 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Just curious, it means we can view the tide tables only with the presence of BlueChart, despite the fact that those mapping devices, eg oregon & etc, have such function built-in already?

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:04 pm

chlesoh wrote:Just curious, it means we can view the tide tables only with the presence of BlueChart, despite the fact that those mapping devices, eg oregon & etc, have such function built-in already?

Bluechart gives you more than just tide tables, bro chlesoh. You get also waypoints for wrecks/obstructions, Navigational aids, restricted areas, marine services and anchorage points too. On the eTrex it is found under Find->Marine Points. Tide stations are included in MFM but as bro Nyem put it, the mapping compiler software that our mappers use unfortunately doesn't support tide stations. :nutz:
cheers,

Stratman II

limyc

Postby limyc » Sat May 16, 2009 9:53 pm

did some quick research and found that other devices can also produce tide prediction and here is one for the palm. i just downloaded an application for the mac and it works fine but have to check against published tables to verify.

http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidet ... nload.html

and the bounty of applications is here below.

http://ocean.peterbrueggeman.com/tidepredict.html

8-)

lwlim

Postby lwlim » Mon May 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi,

If you need to get tide prediction works with MFM, you may use software such as PatchIMG to combine MFM mapset with bluechart tides mapset, if you don't need all the map in bluechart tides, you can selectively choose the map that you need and combine, the bluechart tides mapset are stored at C:\Garmin\BCPAC95\TIDES. I'd tried it and it works with my 60csx.

Regards

Return to “Project Room”