Assembling of a "Guide to contributing to MFM" guide

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Nicholas Chan

Assembling of a "Guide to contributing to MFM" guide

Postby Nicholas Chan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:32 pm

As per my introduction, and a gentle reminder from fancheng, I am putting together the Guide to volunteering and contributing to MalFreeMaps - Now everyone can map! document. The purpose of that document is to encourage and enable all MalFreeMap users to contribute and volunteer in whatever capacity and time they have by giving them a simple and easy to follow guideline on what areas to work on.

I had a nice chat with Edward of ECMS when I arrived at Klang on Saturday (and bought a waterproof Ram Mount for my Nokia E71) and we both were thinking of how this manual can be given to Garmin GPS buyers in ECMS, as well as how companies like his and our own can contribute to MalFreeMap in more tangible manners.

I am in the midst of preparing the content page, and would appreciate it if more comments and advise can be given to me so I can piece the entire document together.

Entry level volunteer work (suitable for casual contributions)
POI
- SG Postal Code verifier and assigner
- POI individual categories project co-ord (to open up by interest by type and source)
- Web-only information harvesters (for batch data compilation, supports POI indiv. cat)
- Existing POI additional details data entry
- POI Error checker
- Theme-based POI project teams (ie. Food via MakanSutra)

Mid level volunteer work (suitable for people with at least 1 hour a day)
- Polygon mapper

High level volunteer work (suitable for people with at least 2 hours a day)
- Tracker

Corporate support (support should be relevant)
- Sharing of mapping related information

Tools of the trade
- MapSource
- MapEdit
Last edited by sharkteef on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: shark edit

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Re: Assembling of a "Guide to contributing to MFM" guide

Postby tlchuan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Thank for the great start :good:

J-Slade

Postby J-Slade » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 am

Will be looking forward to it. :tq:
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic loaded with Garmin Mobile XT loaded with mfm
www.KnowMoreStuff.com
Everyone wants to know more stuff... Don't you?

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Postby fauzee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:11 am

:tq: :good: this is good Guidance to our members.. :peace: :peace: :peace: :rox:
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:11 am

Side-track a little. Would having a SVN helps to manage the contributions via .mp files? SVN has version control, change trail, back-track, etc.

rcmaps
VIP Mapper

Postby rcmaps » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:37 am

chaicka wrote:Side-track a little. Would having a SVN helps to manage the contributions via .mp files? SVN has version control, change trail, back-track, etc.

We use svn Googlecodes at NZ open GPS maps FWIW.
Works great for us so far. :-)
http://www.rcmaps.nzopengps.org/
Home of Free auto routing Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, New Zealand Topo, Samoa, Niue Garmin GPS maps

Nicholas Chan

Postby Nicholas Chan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:28 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the affirmation but what I need now is:

1.) Can you please CHECK and COMMENT what I propose as the topics and see if I am missing any particular roles?
2.) Can you POINT me to existing threads or resources that have some form of writeup to some of the posts (ie. Polygon drawing threads and tutorials)
3.) Can you please give me a WISH LIST of what you hope to be useful (ie. Data checkers to standardize naming format?)

Thanks!

Nicholas Chan

Postby Nicholas Chan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 am

For everyone who has been reading this thread but no reply, please provide me the feedback and suggestions, because:

1.) I never wrote such a guide before.
2.) I never did many of the areas of volunteering (ie. tracking) before so I am merely compiling and providing clarity in the form of a how-to guide
3.) I am always busy with work, and any assistance in resource compilation and collaborating on this would be very much appreciated.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Nicholas Chan wrote:2.) Can you POINT me to existing threads or resources that have some form of writeup to some of the posts (ie. Polygon drawing threads and tutorials)
Looking at the response (or non-response) I guess you have to start on your own, and feedback what you've got. Hopefully by then, when you've gain momentum, members will start chipping in. By knowing keywords, you should be able to search through the forum. And since you said you are busy at work, take it easy... :)
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

BlackAltis

Postby BlackAltis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi might I add for item 1 to include routing error. I find that there are many errors in all the maps that I used both in SG and MY.

Rgds

Return to “Project Room”