How to include audio to your POI (for nuvi 2XX)

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
zamad
Valued Contributor

How to include audio to your POI (for nuvi 2XX)

Postby zamad » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:09 pm

I started out experimenting with embedding voice to the POIs for my nuvi 205W, but found out it cannot take MP3 files. Going through various fora, I found that the nuvi 2XX series could indeed include audio file, not MP3 but WAV. The trick is that you require the correct sox application. Version 14.0.1 works! Version 14.1.0 doesn't. There might be newer versions that works, but I stopped searching... O:) . I reckon that if your nuvi takes MP3 files than the procedure would be similar, except that you don't need sox.

As stratman II rightly pointed out to me, the method I'm putting down is not the same as creating the TourGuide files. In TourGuides, you have the option of either 'play' the voice file (there's a little 'play' button on the screen) or not. The method described below plays the audio when you pass over that particular POI. If you want an earlier notice, include your 'warning' radius in MapSource, in the Proximity field.

What you need:
1. POILoader.exe v2.5.3 (or later)
2. sox.exe v14.0.1
3. Your WAV file
4. Your POIs

Step 1:
a. Open Mapsource and edit your POIs.
b. Save as SameName.gpx

OR

a. Open a text editor and write in your information in this format: "latitude, longitude, description" (without the quote marks), eg:
    101.62851, 3.05637, North Exit
    101.62829, 3.05098, South Exit
    101.62594, 3.05407, West Exit
b. Save it as SameName.csv

Step 2:
a. Create a WAV file in PCM 44.100kHz 16 Bit, Mono format.
b. Save it as SameName.wav

Step 3: (Optional, otherwise your POI will just be a small grey circle)
a. Create a BMP file no larger than 24 x 24 pixels
b. Save it as SameName.bmp

Step 4:
a. Copy those 3 files into the same folder,

Step 5:
a. Run PoiLoader, and follow the screen instructions.
b. After you have chosen your device, say, your SD card, > Next Select 'Install new custom POI's into your device' > Next
c. Next, select your directory (where SameName.*** was saved), your 'units' and 'Express' mode.
d. You're done!

NOTES:
1. POILoader.exe v2.5.3 (or later) [ http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/ ]
2. sox.exe v14.0.1 [ http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=10619 or http://rs56.rapidshare.com/files/139638423/sox.zip ]. Copy the sox.exe file into the same folder as your poiloader.exe is located.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

Return to “Project Room”