MFM Lane Assist Project

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
saujanacom
Polygon Mapper

Re: MFM Lane Assist Project

Postby saujanacom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:10 am

moeyhc wrote:Bro saujanacom,
Yes, a program to create the submission code. User just need to click on a Graphic Icon to select all the lane directions and click generate to create the code that can be copied into Mapsource.... Interested?
Thanks for asking.... :tq:

yeah .... very interested. This apps also can be built in web based such as Java and Php. But I dont think that I can do it ... tak pandai. :mrgreen:
9W2ICT - SCORE - 9M4RSC (146.600)

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:42 am

Any Takers on the Lane Assist Codes Program Generator?

Please get in touch with me via PM. This will make our work much easier...
Thanks for volunteering.

P/S: :oops: I'm still looking thru' my old CD collection for my Visual Basic 6.0 installation disk... hope to find it soon. :oops:

:tq:
Common Sense Is Not Common.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:27 pm

zamad wrote:General observation: ALL roads allow Left, Straight and Right turns. At the (assumed) traffic lights, these roads have three lanes. IMHO, nodes 'Jct-01' and 'Jct-04' are too close to the 'first' turning. 'Jct-03' looks about OK. 30m from the U-turn?

The red points are the routing nodes in question, the green points are where we report the lane information.

The green points don't have to be precisely at a particular spot because where the LA information appears depends on the navigation software (Garmin, Papago, iGo etc.)

The main thing is to put ourselves in the user's viewpoint and see what useful information can be conveyed moments before the driver arrives at the junction.

In that diagram, we try to have the information displayed before the U-turn (if exists) and the turn-left lane is encountered.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:36 pm

moeyhc wrote:Any Takers on the Lane Assist Codes Program Generator?

Please get in touch with me via PM. This will make our work much easier...
Thanks for volunteering.

P/S: :oops: I'm still looking thru' my old CD collection for my Visual Basic 6.0 installation disk... hope to find it soon. :oops:

:tq:

Bro Moey, hold your horses. Don't get too carried away. All these codes: \ < > / etc. are my own because I thought this is a simple way of conveying the information that is required for Lane Assist. These codes are NOT what is entered in the mappers' files.

I think we are many weeks away from finalizing how to have our members submit report Lane information to our mappers in a clear, consistent manner.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Looking at bro Zamad's Puchong Jaya intersection on Google Earth (N3.04845 E101.62169), I realise it is not enough merely to have direction arrows.

In Klang Valley especially, there are many expressways, where, let's say, the rightmost 2 lanes (going straight) are going to destination X, the next 2 lanes (going straight) are going to destination Y and the leftmost lane will exit to destination Z in 300m. So if we just have 5 arrows, 4 of which are Going Straight, it doesn't quite help the driver.

If you have seen Lane Assist in action, the lanes which you should take are brightly lit, whereas the lanes you shouldn't take are dimmed.

So we need a way of conveying where each lane is going (connected to where?) in a standardised manner.

More deep thinking about this.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:03 pm

FYI, what the mappers are actually using for Lane Turning info is numerical values:
Malfreemaps Lane Assist Turning Values.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Bro tympg,

Looking at your chart it is more relevant now to have an automatic code generator to eliminate any misinterpretation of the symbols. All the user needs to do is to click the sequence of graphical icons to generate the code/s. Since it is a program we can assign anything (numerical, Alpha-numeric or both) to the field. The same program can also be written to decode the data back to graphical icons in the correct sequence for the Mappers. All we need is a template of directional arrows like yours for the contributors to select. This will be as simple as it can gets... What do you think?
Common Sense Is Not Common.

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 pm

Ok i support u :mrgreen:

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Here's a confusing one in Shah Alam, Left to Right towards LKSA... not as bad as the ones in Puchong.
ShahAlamLA2.jpg

Code: Select all

Node 1: <; \; ^
i.e. left: exit 212 to PJ/KL; bear left: probable exit to Klang OR straight on LKSA; straight: proceed to LKSA

Code: Select all

Node 2: <; \; /
i.e. left: exit to Klang; bear left: enter roundabout; bear right: proceed to LKSA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:53 pm

moeyhc wrote:Bro tympg,

Looking at your chart it is more relevant now to have an automatic code generator to eliminate any misinterpretation of the symbols. All the user needs to do is to click the sequence of graphical icons to generate the code/s. Since it is a program we can assign anything (numerical, Alpha-numeric or both) to the field. The same program can also be written to decode the data back to graphical icons in the correct sequence for the Mappers. All we need is a template of directional arrows like yours for the contributors to select. This will be as simple as it can gets... What do you think?

Feasible. Maybe we don't even need a full-blown app; just a webpage with the appropriate Javascript.

Return to “Project Room”