Makan Makan with Sharkteef

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Makan Makan with Sharkteef

Postby sharkteef » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Firstly, i have to apologise for several matters. Due to mapsource not being obedient on my computer, i am unable to provide to you a gdb/gpx file.
Secondly, i would like to apologise as my makan makan thread will mainly consist of non halal restaurants.
Thirdly, i always like to throw in some humour in my thread that might seem offensive and rude to some but hey....cant please everyone.
Fourth, because i have several devices on hand, and each give me diff co-ordinates even if i didnt move an inch, i will randomly post u the co-ordinates and in hopes u can find the place yourself.
Fifth, i am not really a camera person nor am i a blogger.
Sixth, i am pretty much fit to review chinese restaurants. i have very high expectations but only for chinese food.
Seventh, i will try to post receipts but most of them are scribblings on a scrap paper.
Eighth, i am not biased as i'm a paying customer. i will condemn or praise as i feel like it.
Ninth, most of my makan places are not in mfm/msm so it'll take me a while to compile em. its all in my brain.

[NON HALAL]
Restaurant Teck Wah
No. 33, Jln A, Taman Batu, Off Jalan Kuching, 52000 Kuala Lumpur
03-6251 4629

Co-ordinates: N03 11.984 E101 39.955 (Samsung Omnia 16gb GMXT)

My conversation: [Translation]

Me: Taukay, yau mat kai siu ? - [Boss, got what nice introduce ?]
Boss: Ngo tay chut meng yok choy kai - [Here famous for herbal chicken]
Me: ok, chong yau leh ? - [ok, what else ?]
Boss: Choy pou sek pan - [salted vege fish (dunno what name)]
Me: ok, chong yau leh ? - [ok what else ?]
Boss: kali har oi sek mou ? - [wan eat curry prawn ?]
Me: Moi la, fat yit hei ah, kor lin sek ching tit hou... - [dowan, scared heaty, eat healthier better]
Boss: Mun pai kuat hou jeng gah - [braised pork rib cun !]
Me: ok, tor yat kor cheng choi kau lah. - [ok 1 vege enough]
Boss: tou chai pau oi mou, sung longan sui tim pan - [lotus paste rabbit serve with longan dessert]
Me: ok, soon pin pei mai yat kor sang har meen lei lah. chut choy - [ok, also gimme prawn noodle. servis me now !]

Overall, what he recommended ada standard wor.
My biggest concern is, how much will it cost me. How expensive can it be in Jinjang area man.....
Bill came.... i ordered around 9 dishes including the 2 dessert.
RM 450 NETT
for CNY price, this is like......ultimate liao. most of the ones i see starts with a number 8. RM 888 la, 688 la, 1288, 1388, 3888. eat same food. this one better quality summore. so yea, no regrets coming here.

9 dishes / 10 people @ RM 450 = 45 bucks a person .....

My rating for this place - 3/10 - [should try at least once]
Why ? cause place is quite clean, food is so-so, herbal chicken is the outstanding one coz i really got to taste the super strong herbs, and is really cheap.
bear in mind, i will never simply use the word cheap. affordable, reasonable yes i will use alot, but cheap no. and this place is cheap, nothing beats the cheapness of the restaurant i found in sg buloh. next time give u all the POI so u can go makan makan there and pay very little.

*highest i've rated a restaurant is 9/10 but its not in malaysia.
*antyong i know u've been anticipating me making a thread like this, so here u go. my first contribution ( many many more to come )
Last edited by sharkteef on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

imantulen

Re: Makan Makan with Sharkteef

Postby imantulen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:43 pm

and i thots it's to eat with sharkteef during cny =P~ .... tengok-tengok, he eat liau then tell us........ :-({|= :fire:

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:06 pm

[HALAL]

Been so long since i last visited Pak Ngah's Laksa in Kuala Kangsar. I've been here before to his original shop around 20 odd years ago. Decided to try again.
Soup now become very watery already and cendol drop a notch in quality. Still edible and brings back old memories.

Because it was a clear day, hot and sunny, and my nuvi's and omnia and n79 were in sync, i'll give u my co-ordinates to use instead. The latest map seem to run abit for Kuala Kangsar for me so therefore the co-ordinates originally placed in MFM 1.35 might be a bit off. Well for me that is.

Classic Jukebox at his shop !

N04 46.218
E100 55.570

Pak Ngah got alot of subdivisyuns, he franchise to alot of "van sellers" around town. haihz. degrade the original, but yah, back 20 yrs ago when i ate, it was good tasting.
His cendol still good evethough drop 1 notch in quality. Ice is shaven finely so u dont get the ketul ketul bits in your cendol and chew em like rocks later on.
I think i paid RM 2.20 per bowl of Assam Laksa. i forgot.

[Non HALAL] [FAIL CATEGORY]

During CNY i expect harder to find good hor hee in ipoh. All my ultimate shops were closed but i stumbled upon this.

Restaurant Embassy
N04 35.471
E101 04.948

To sum it all up, i rate this place, -10000 /10
If you are ever desperate to eat hor hee, please do not visit this place. there are other better places in my worst category than this.
For those that dont know, Ipoh "Hor Hee" is kuey teow with chicken strips. more like "kai see hor fun".
FAIL LA THIS PLACEEE FAILLLLLLLLLLLL

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 pm

[Non HALAL]

East Ocean in Menglembu Perak
Yah i know i've been posting alot of Perak stuff that are already incorporated into the map. but my regular places are not open so this is like ....2nd best on the list for me lor. and some hero posted the "Under the TREE" yong tau foo in pasir pinji, haloooooooooo, that restoran got name wan lehhh, and his bradder open beside him in a shop not in a tree lehhhh.

N 04 34.105
E101 02.939

No business wan the restoran opposite.

My Conversation: [Translation]

Boss: Wah Mr Teoh hou loi mou lei ah - [Mr Teoh u long time no come]
My dad: Hai lor eee pai mong ah, kor lin you chap okay ah [Cny abit busy got a lot to prepare]
Boss: Wah lei tai seng kah yan lei, hou ngor yee pei soon yeh pei lei [u bring whole family i'm flattered i prepare specialties for you]
My dad: hou ah hou. [ok boss]
Me: ah pa, lei yau mou lan wor, kam tu tak ah [father u got balls, like that also can]
Boss: Lei lou tau pai pai tu pong chan ngor. kang hai yau special treatment [My dad regular customer got special treatment]
Me: hou fai fai lei [good fast fast come]

My Menu:
1 fatt tiu cheong [buddha jump over the wall]
1 pak chong yue ard 1kg in size. [some fish in soya sos, dunno what the fish called in english]
1 thai sik kai [thai sos chicken = fail]
1 steamed prawn with dunno what sos and mushroom
1 chai choy [vegetable]
1 fah sang mun pai kuat [braised pork ribs in nuts i think]
1 cheng chau kai lan + keong lou soon [kailan fry with asparagus in ginger and garlic]
1 nasi goreng cina
1 longan water

for 10 people bill was .......... RM 248 i think. inclusive of my fatt tiu cheong and inclusive of taxes and inclusive of ....errr cny festive season this kinda price where to finddddddddd. next time non-festive i go back show my face and see he really that cheap or not.

Rating: 3/10. Cheap price, i go outside the moment got fatt tiu cheong alreayd is RM 100, and my fish also another RM 80 at least. and i like fah sang mun pai kuat eventhough pj can get, but his tasted alot diff. like the nuts in menglembu got class wan. after all, they are famous for nuts ma....kacang menglembu.
my dad hero, didnt make booking, and when i saw the restaurant from outside, it was full. i need to follow my dad more, damn alot of contacts for makan places.

[Non Halal]
Yong Tau Foo under the tree. [Perak Pasir Pinji]

N04 34.940
E101 05.181

Actually closed so cannot makan and take picture. Next time i go back i will take picture. Confirm very nice.
And beside the huge tree, there's a shop. Apparently his brother is the one that opened it, but unfortunately i cant taste any diff between them. both also that good.
i rather sit below the tree coz can spit everywhere and smoke till no kingdom come.

Tuck Kee is the restaurant at its corner, also damn good and damn cheap. but this year around, my dad made the decision to eat elsewhere so have to postpone.
His brother Tuck Seng is in Segambut. but not nice wan so i will skip it. i will post either really good ones, or really sucky ones so u all can makan or stay away.

Rating: 5/10 [Must try and most likely will return]
Love the kari laksa also. kari laksa + yong tau foo + barli peng = win !

9W2CBL
Polygon Mapper

Postby 9W2CBL » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:05 pm

the title sharkteef says makan makan with him.. and I thought got chance to eat with him...but he already eatla!

then the title should sound like this..

Sharkteef makan makan or Sharkteef eat alone no one can join...he! he!

Happy Chinese New Year Bro!
Common sense is instinct, and enough of it is genius
The avatar is design by Bro. Sulphur - Thanks!
Owned - nuvi200 (US Version), nuvi255W (TWN -> SGMY -> US -> TWN), Last MobileXT V5.00.60

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor

Postby jans_wkh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:54 pm

sharkteef wrote:For those that dont know, Ipoh "Hor Hee" is kuey teow with chicken strips. more like "kai see hor fun".

Heh bro sharkteef, fyi, Ipoh Hor Hee is noodle (most of the time kuey teow or as per customer's request) soup with fish ball and slices of fish cake. There are no slices of chicken meat. Could you have been ordering the wrong food at the right stall? :mrgreen: Like ordering hainan chicken rice at a mamak store instead? The reason I am writing is because I know a nice Hor Hee store around there which my family and I use to 'tar pau'. Sorry, I couldn't remember the name or the exact place unless I am there again. Will let you know once I can confirm the place. :D

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 am

jans_wkh wrote:
sharkteef wrote:For those that dont know, Ipoh "Hor Hee" is kuey teow with chicken strips. more like "kai see hor fun".

Heh bro sharkteef, fyi, Ipoh Hor Hee is noodle (most of the time kuey teow or as per customer's request) soup with fish ball and slices of fish cake. There are no slices of chicken meat. Could you have been ordering the wrong food at the right stall? :mrgreen: Like ordering hainan chicken rice at a mamak store instead? The reason I am writing is because I know a nice Hor Hee store around there which my family and I use to 'tar pau'. Sorry, I couldn't remember the name or the exact place unless I am there again. Will let you know once I can confirm the place. :D

ipoh hor hee @ woolley food court ipoh garden.
no la no wrong la. u see the uncle's sign at restoran embassy boh ? i also ask hor hee kuey teow 1 , but he gimme some cacat kai see hor fun and the soup manyak fail.
once every 2 months i travel to ipoh for bisnuss, so i also know where is nice. near majestic also got, near excelsior/overseas restoran also got, the kau kai cheong also got but all not open during cny :(

this is pik i took at woolley coz the rest of the shop tutup kedai due to cny celebration. so only left back this place..... haihz... after i makan at cacated embassy restoran i had to taste a reasonable hor hee so i came to ipoh garden lor.

Hor Hee @ woolley =

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:39 am

Greetings from Kuala Pilah Negeri Sembilan....... go one day trip only coz my inlaws bising long time never see me.

[Halal]
KP Hailam kopitiam
N 02 44.410
E 102 14.835

What is good ?
Roti bakar butter kaya. Their butter super generous, from SCS brand punya. Kaya sendiri make. Roti sendiri make.
Nasi lemak, not too spicy and sambal is not the sweet type. is more salty. bestttttttttttttttt but early morning better eat bread if not stomach cannot take.
Cham si is highly recommended. kopi o and teh si also. but since i dont drink any of those i normally ask for teh o peng kau kau kau. besttttttttttttt.
Their steam bread and bun supposedly damn good, but i prefer toasted. i like crispyness. my wife likes hers steamed so she normally ask for steam bun with butter only.

My conversation: [Translation]

Me: Taukay, teh o peng kau chi pui, butter siuh eh neng ter [boss teh o ais kau 1 and butter hot bun 1]
Boss: Aneh ku boh lai liao, lu teng sua ki ta lok ?
Me: Mai aneh cheh kong ming kia, wa eyau liao. kin kin tampok. [ less talk more aksyun]
Boss: Mai aneh kwan, wa cho hor lu see ter butter mian pao sui boh ? sang hor lu neng ter [ dont liddat, i free 2 piece for u]
Me: sui ! lim peh kong lu steady ah [ censored ]
Boss: boh ki talok chit toh ah ? [no go anywhere happy ka ?]
Me: boh lui an chua ki happy wor, lu heng wa tampok sponsor sui boh [no money to go happy, u sponsor la]
Boss: teng meng ooo magnum ka toto ti ah boey [opposite got magnum and behind got toto]
Me: kin kin lai wah ai chiak liao, lim peh kah teng balu kalu kong lam pa oey. chiak seng taukay. [fast fast come, i tok kok wid u after makan]

Prices here is almost the same as KL/PJ. abit less expensive but about there la. but yeah they are generous with their butter. and their kopi is genuine hainanese punya with hainanese style making. see their equipment also very antique type. sorry bout the piks. forgot to take phone with me too early. realised it only when it was night.

Rating : 1/10. to purposely come here and eat, u will be dissapointed. if u're in the area, then yeah, this place worth dropping by, not worth travelling here just to eat bread and butter.

[Non Halal]
KP's famous char kuey teow using arang to fry.
Bukit intan otw to senaling.

N 02 43.072
E 102 14.663

Ok this hero use arang to fry. his entire family is in this business. handed from generations to generations, when i asked him, i think he said he's the 5th generation to fry kuey teow. geng ! my father encourage me to study, his father encourage him to fry kuey teow. power man his family. my wife's good friend btw. not promoting for him but yeah i think its worth the taste testing.
I still feel that penang's CKT is better coz got prawn. ini apa pun takde only got see ham nia. got 1 biji limau nipis so if i put on my kuey teow it taste like maggi goreng.

Shop only opens at night. Consists of one row of shops but i think all inactive punya. only this one opens till night. rest all close very early. there was once i remember i came here to eat at 1.30am. still open. Remember, this is a quiet town, a quiet place. They open whatever time they like and close shop whenever they feel like it. steady la these people. So it's impossible for me to tell you their business hours. The difference between KP's CKT and Penang's CKT is pretty simple. i observe the way this boy fry. i almost pengsan. Got egg, got ngar choy, got see ham. but he added something extra which penang one dont.

U know the pile of see ham u normally put in a bowl and take some and fry, so there's definitely some.....blood and all remaining. he puts a spoonful of that to fry. u call it gravy if u want. so their CKT is moist and not dry and oily. ITS MOIST. it might sound disgusting, u know taking the "chap" from the uncooked see ham to fry, but i assure u , it adds abit of flavor and old folks like it. I like mine with prawns though.

Ratings: 1/10. "Wok mei" got, so i give it a 1. Even if u fry with arang or kayu or kerosene or induction cooker , if i cannot taste the "wok mei" i will give a zero. its moist and not oily so its pretty edible for me. No point driving to this place just to try it. try only if u're within the vincinity.

From here, i wanted to go to bahau to makan the beefballs. but i kena roadblock once i left this place and the nice polisman gave me 2 keping of saman. so i decided to head back to KL instead. i go another time when the traffic cops are more inactive.

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 am

9W2CBL wrote:the title sharkteef says makan makan with him.. and I thought got chance to eat with him...but he already eatla!

then the title should sound like this..

Sharkteef makan makan or Sharkteef eat alone no one can join...he! he!

Happy Chinese New Year Bro!

less tok more aksyun. next time i go down we go batu kikir eat yeh mei. if u hardcore abit i bring u go bentong eat claypot guinea pig.
my wife looking forward to go bentong to buy taufu pok and the super giant sized pineapple. i think got about 4 feet tall. shud be around that height. special order punya.
somewhere in march i can go i think. unless my boss give me some superhero assignment.

stimix

Postby stimix » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:24 pm

Geezz...I din know u posted this Pak ngah Laksa!! I was there 2 days ago without realising u already posted. Although soup watery as u said but still good..The noodle..it's good too :thumbsup: ..BTW, my wife preferred the stall (Van no 2) beside the tourist info board. and it's only RM1.50/bowl (smaller & thus we decided to go back to the restaurant for 2nd round!!!) Restaurant portion bigger & comes wth egg so RM2.20/bowl :mrgreen: )

OK I hv posted the tracklog around Kg Pak Ngah Laksa here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1295
sharkteef wrote:[HALAL]

Been so long since i last visited Pak Ngah's Laksa in Kuala Kangsar. I've been here before to his original shop around 20 odd years ago. Decided to try again.
Soup now become very watery already and cendol drop a notch in quality. Still edible and brings back old memories.

Because it was a clear day, hot and sunny, and my nuvi's and omnia and n79 were in sync, i'll give u my co-ordinates to use instead. The latest map seem to run abit for Kuala Kangsar for me so therefore the co-ordinates originally placed in MFM 1.35 might be a bit off. Well for me that is.

Pak Ngah got alot of subdivisyuns, he franchise to alot of "van sellers" around town. haihz. degrade the original, but yah, back 20 yrs ago when i ate, it was good tasting.
His cendol still good evethough drop 1 notch in quality. Ice is shaven finely so u dont get the ketul ketul bits in your cendol and chew em like rocks later on.
I think i paid RM 2.20 per bowl of Assam Laksa. i forgot.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Project Room”