Assembling of a "Guide to contributing to MFM" guide

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Nicholas Chan

Re: Assembling of a "Guide to contributing to MFM" guide

Postby Nicholas Chan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 am

While I would love to add a volunteer position as "Route Error Checker", wouldn't this be more appropriate as "error reports" to the mappers as I don't see how anyone can volunteer to check route errors unless they are volunteering by driving non-stop every possible route?

BlackAltis wrote:Hi might I add for item 1 to include routing error. I find that there are many errors in all the maps that I used both in SG and MY.

Rgds

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Digging out this proposed project which is still in "proposed" stage. Will delete soon if no progress O:)

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:29 pm

antyong wrote:Digging out this proposed project which is still in "proposed" stage. Will delete soon if no progress O:)

Hi Antyong,

I am thinking of doing this but different from what Nicholas is doing. Going through the forums, I noticed that most of the questions ask by new users like me are basic questions like how to contribute, how to do this, how to do that.

Therefore I am proposing to do a new user guide. Outline is as on the attached document file. Guide will be divided into 2 parts - one for how-to- and the other trouble shooting. Basically I will go through the forum and then cut and paste the items into the guide. This way I can shorthern the time on compiling the guide. By doing this, not only will I increase my learning curve but also help other new users at same time.

Who knows, in future, maybe we can use this as a source of income for MFM.

Appreciate if all seniors will guide me on this project. As this I update the document, I will upload here for review and comments/correction. Also since this is a "living" guide, I will also update all new problems highlighted and the steps taken to overcome the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply....

The structure looks ok. Most of the contents are already in our Library forum. Structuring it properly will help but it is important for a newbie to read the guides before blasting off 8-)

Looking forward to your guide :)

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:41 pm

edited 1st post.

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:25 pm

antyong wrote:Sorry for the late reply....

The structure looks ok. Most of the contents are already in our Library forum. Structuring it properly will help but it is important for a newbie to read the guides before blasting off 8-)

Yeah, most of the topics are already in the Libray Forum but the problem I noticed some newbies don't actually read the forums before posting. Also some of the information are all over the forum especially when it comes to trouble shooting problems.

Essentially the guide will compile all the information in the Library Forum and other sections into one single document which users can download either in pdf or doc format for their reference. Also senior members can also direct newbies to this document to read before posting here.

I will try to kick off the project by next week, still in xmas mood... :D \:D/

Also should I post the guide to this topic or create a new topic for feedback?

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:33 pm

aikliang wrote:

Yeah, most of the topics are already in the Libray Forum but the problem I noticed some newbies don't actually read the forums before posting. Also some of the information are all over the forum especially when it comes to trouble shooting problems.

Essentially the guide will compile all the information in the Library Forum and other sections into one single document which users can download either in pdf or doc format for their reference. Also senior members can also direct newbies to this document to read before posting here.

Open a new topic. Will delete this topic later.
:tq: :thumbsup:

cynide
Contributor

Postby cynide » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:18 pm

aikliang wrote:

Gd idea but will d topic b updated when d need arise?

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:24 pm

cynide wrote:
aikliang wrote:

Gd idea but will d topic b updated when d need arise?

The guide will be in 2 parts:-

1st part will be a "how-to" guide, basically a compilation of topics in the Library Forum. I will copy/cut & paste the guide into one document. I do not foresee any big changes here as the procedures are basically the same for identical/similar devices such as where to download MFM map, how to install to devices, etc..

2nd part is the trouble shooting part. Taking my example above on the maps, sometimes users will encounter problems like after installing the maps do not show. The guide will then outline possible solutions to solve. Problem in this part of the guide is that the problems are all over the forum, so I will need to go through and extract the relevant details. The tricky part is how to cope when new problems arise. As new problem arises, I will need to extract and update the trouble shooting section. Still trying to figure out how to do the up-dates. Any idea, anyone? I am thinking of doing an up-date once every 2 weeks.

Return to “Project Room”