Asus to Garmin: Bye bye!

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
wwloon
Valued Contributor

Asus to Garmin: Bye bye!

Postby wwloon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 am

As anticipated by many analysts...

Asustek to end cellphone cooperation with Garmin

* Asustek to give more details on Tuesday

* Garmin likely to close smartphone business: analyst

* Garmin shares up 1 percent (Adds analyst commentary, shares)

By Argin Chang

TAIPEI, Oct 25 (Reuters) - Taiwan's Asustek Computer Inc (2357.TW) said on Monday it would end its mobile phone cooperation agreement with Garmin (GRMN.O), clearing the path for the navigation device maker to exit the smartphone business.

Asustek, which sells laptops and mobile phones carrying its own name, is set to give more details on Tuesday, a company official said.

"The smartphone market is seeing huge growth, but the Garmin-Asus alliance has, to date, delivered disappointing volumes," said Canalys analyst Tim Shepherd.

Garmin will now likely seek to close its own smartphone business as it has indicated it is ready to do, Shepherd said.

In September, Garmin, the No. 1 U.S. maker of personal navigation devices (PNDs), told Reuters it will decide over the next couple of quarters the future of its struggling smartphone unit, and is ready to exit the business if it does not achieve success. [ID:nLDE6881WD]

A spokesman for Garmin did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

For Garmin, the smartphone exit could improve its earnings and ease the investments it's been making in order to try to impact the competitive smartphone market.

"It makes sense and it wouldn't be surprising should it prove true," Oppenheimer analyst Yair Reiner said.

Garmin could now be at liberty to pursue the business of selling navigation apps for the iPhone and Android devices, Reiner said.

Its Dutch rival, TomTom (TOM2.AS), offers an application for the Apple (AAPL.O) iPhone.

Garmin smartphone sales totalled $27 million in the June quarter.

SOURCE: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE69O17U20101025

Albert_Chong

Re: Asus to Garmin: Bye bye!

Postby Albert_Chong » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 am

In Chinese:
"華碩雙品牌手機 Garmin罷手不玩"
http://money.chinatimes.com/news/news-c ... 0&cid=1211

azlan96

Garmin navigation to be headed to Apple and RIM app stores

Postby azlan96 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Garmin navigation to be headed to Apple and RIM app stores

Details of the Garmin-ASUS breakup are slowly being revealed. We now know that ASUS has obtained exclusive rights to license Garmin navigation and location based services on its Android smartphones with a Garmin navigation trademark slapped on the back -- other Android handset makers need not apply. ASUS will go back to selling its own-brand handsets in January, including models equipped with 3D for gaming and connectivity with ASUS ebook readers and tablets, according to DigiTimes. For its part, Garmin's official blog says that it will be expanding its mobile application handset development by offering navigation and other applications through "certain consumer application stores." According to DigiTimes, that means Apple's iTunes App Store and RIM's App World. So, in other words, Garmin and ASUS are still friends but are now free to date anyone they want, you know, except for anyone in eachother's families. How mature.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/27/garm ... headed-to/

Does that mean Garmin will be on Android and iPhone's ?

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:42 pm

http://mytechnews.info/b/2010/11/garmin-navigation-software-on-ios-soon-asus-grabs-android-exclusivity.html

If this is true, then say bye bye to garmin for android for other than asus android phone. What a no sense decision :thumbsdown:
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

dkvcopy

Postby dkvcopy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:19 am

Cho sad coz I really love my Garmin Asus M10 ever since I bought it 3 months :shock: :cry:
I guess my wife will be killing me coz the other day i wanted to get her the A10 but instead she asked for the Nokia N8 :$gone: :x

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”