GPS Apps on Android

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
indrapr
Valued Contributor

Re: GPS app on Android

Postby indrapr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 pm

winterrealm wrote:i got alot of confusion like online navigation and offline etc.. need data plan etc
anyway 60+ for the navigation software kind of exp :( anyway im from singapore.
should i get papago or garmin?

If you have Android, then your only choice would be Papago. Garmin is not supported on Android.

Take note that MFM has stopped releasing new version of Papago maps until further notice, so the latest available map is dated April 2010. Let's hope for a good news from MFM to continue releasing Papago maps.

Thank you.

winterrealm

Postby winterrealm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:57 pm

indrapr wrote:Since the GPS software (that you are going to buy) will use the map data locally (which is downloaded to your Android device beforehand), there will be no downloading of the map data, thus internet data plan is not necessary.

Unless if you have AGPS (assisted GPS) enabled on your device, then when acquiring satellite, you might incur some data charges. To avoid this, just disable AGPS.

hmm.use the data locally, so if i want the map to assist me "to,from & where i am".. i need to on agps?

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:29 pm

I have the HTC Desire that runs Android 2.1 and soon (hopefully) will be upgraded to 2.2. I believe the only Papago (with English navigation) that is suitable for Android is the X5. But then I just read elsewhere that X5 supports only Android 1.6 and below. So, is it correct that Papago (English) is not an option for me? Thanks.
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:47 am

winterrealm wrote:
indrapr wrote:Since the GPS software (that you are going to buy) will use the map data locally (which is downloaded to your Android device beforehand), there will be no downloading of the map data, thus internet data plan is not necessary.

Unless if you have AGPS (assisted GPS) enabled on your device, then when acquiring satellite, you might incur some data charges. To avoid this, just disable AGPS.

hmm.use the data locally, so if i want the map to assist me "to,from & where i am".. i need to on agps?

If you already have the map installed locally, for navigation "to, from and where you are", you need the GPS. You don't need the AGPS since it's just an optional feature for faster satellite locking.

Thank you.

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 am

jchoong wrote:I have the HTC Desire that runs Android 2.1 and soon (hopefully) will be upgraded to 2.2. I believe the only Papago (with English navigation) that is suitable for Android is the X5. But then I just read elsewhere that X5 supports only Android 1.6 and below. So, is it correct that Papago (English) is not an option for me? Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, the Papago version which supports Android 2.1 would be the M6, not the X5. But I might be wrong, though.

winterrealm

Postby winterrealm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:59 pm

indrapr wrote:
winterrealm wrote:

If you already have the map installed locally, for navigation "to, from and where you are", you need the GPS. You don't need the AGPS since it's just an optional feature for faster satellite locking.

Thank you.

ic :)
thanks for the clear info..
im using samsung galaxy s, i cant seems to install this Papago X5 SE .exe on window. anyidea?

tokg
Valued Contributor

Postby tokg » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:47 pm

actually Papago! X5 Mobile version (not X5 SE), please read here: http://www.m3shoppe.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=26
before=user, now=contributor, future=c2bc (continue to be contributor)

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:40 am

Papago,
X version is for PND device.. based on WinCE,
M version is for Phone mobile.. based on Android, iPhone

but there is some new X5 version based on WinMobile & Android..
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

sukoo

Postby sukoo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Need some advises.
I found Papago X5 for hongkong in the Apps Market and downloaded it.

When tried to run, it pop a message which says "Map data validating failed. Please copy valid map data onto sdcard then reopen the program."
I guess its because I only downloaded the navigation software and it doesn't come with a map?

Is this a trial version? Anyone running this? There are also a X5 version for Taiwan but in Chinese.

Tongpoz

Postby Tongpoz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:52 pm

i baru install Ndrive navigation sistem pada samsung galaxy s. dapat tahu pun lepas surf youtube. tapi still learning cara nak guna.. 7 days trial free and after that kena beli map pada harga 20 euro..anybody who expert in navigation system hopefully can give some opinion on this nav system, thanks
http://www.auralifeperfumes.com

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”