GPS Apps on Android

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
corrochan

Re: GPS app on Android

Postby corrochan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:29 pm

kttan wrote:
sejtam wrote:Is there a trial version of Papago? I'd like to test first before buying for my Dell Streak.

http://www.papago.com.tw/android/downlo ... GMY_X5.htm

You can download the trial version here.

Thanks for this? Is this trial exactly the same as the paid version (but with limited use period) or is this a slimed down version with fewer features? For how long can I use this trial?

Pls advise. Thanks.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm

The trial version is exactly the same as the paid version, but without the time limitation.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

kadajawi

Postby kadajawi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:06 am

I tried Papago and absolutely hated it. iGo works... rather stable, though it's pretty basic. But it works. Papago crashed a lot, entering an address is confusing and difficult and always went wrong. GMN is still the best, though unstable and you need a data connection.

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 am

kadajawi wrote:I tried Papago and absolutely hated it. iGo works... rather stable, though it's pretty basic. But it works. Papago crashed a lot, entering an address is confusing and difficult and always went wrong. GMN is still the best, though unstable and you need a data connection.

using data connection? = useless.. :lol:

get free "real" satellite reception...! use PND! or "internal on-chip" GPS..
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

kadajawi

Postby kadajawi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Well, depends. In Germany I pay about RM 30 for an internet flatrate (in addition to a regular mobile phone line, unlike Celcom where you can only use it for data, unless you pay much more). Routing works pretty well, it finds _everything_ (you could enter the name of any shop, if it has its address somewhere on the internet it'll probably find it), and it tells you where traffic jams are (sometimes so precise that it tells you it is right around the corner, and there it is). Traffic jams don't work in Malaysia yet (in Singapore they seem to do, including regular roads), and search doesn't work as good as in Germany, but it's getting there. Entering the address works rather well (unlike Papago... or perhaps I just don't understand the logic there). So if you have a data connection anyway... routing btw. also continues when you don't have a data connection, it caches the route (+ a few alternative routes).

Oh, and AGPS also works without data connection, though it's faster with.

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:05 pm

kadajawi wrote:Well, depends. In Germany I pay about RM 30 for an internet flatrate (in addition to a regular mobile phone line, unlike Celcom where you can only use it for data, unless you pay much more). Routing works pretty well, it finds _everything_ (you could enter the name of any shop, if it has its address somewhere on the internet it'll probably find it), and it tells you where traffic jams are (sometimes so precise that it tells you it is right around the corner, and there it is). Traffic jams don't work in Malaysia yet (in Singapore they seem to do, including regular roads), and search doesn't work as good as in Germany, but it's getting there. Entering the address works rather well (unlike Papago... or perhaps I just don't understand the logic there). So if you have a data connection anyway... routing btw. also continues when you don't have a data connection, it caches the route (+ a few alternative routes).

Oh, and AGPS also works without data connection, though it's faster with.

You do not compare a native-on-chip GPS (satellite reception gps) with a-gps (3G/edge internet data connection)
in German you must "PAY".. but in Malaysia you can get Absolutely "FREE" if you'r using native-internal-chip on your GPS (PND). That's what I mean,..

Anyway, in Malaysia you bound to using papago or garmin if you want to get most complete map.
and can use Galactio for TMC reception (in Singapore). Internet data GPS (a-gps) is useless in Asean country region, caused by not have completed map set & got weird routing liability.

IMHO, Papago version X3 & below have bad routing issue, So try to version X5 & above, to got more better routing calculation.
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

kadajawi

Postby kadajawi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:12 pm

True. Well, there are advantages and disadvantages to every system (if you have a data connection anyway because you need it for other things, you won't be paying extra).

I think the best choice is Garmin, because you can get maps for any region you want to go. iGo works well too IMHO. I think I used Papago X5, routing was fine, but I resorted to using iGo or GMN most of the time because I just couldn't find the address. :-/ The UI was pretty slow too.

Apart from the weird issue that GMN doesn't want to use the causeway to SG I haven't had any routing issues (at least I haven't noticed). I've only been in JB though, where any satnav seems to have decent maps.

Btw., any experiences with Ovi Maps? How are their maps? (Navteq IIRC). That's what WP7 is going to get, so I'm curious.

kouga

Postby kouga » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:28 pm

How can i put GPS map into Samsung phone with android 2.2? prefer offline map. Is there any free apps available? I came across Garmin apps which is paid version.

kadajawi

Postby kadajawi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Where did you find Garmin for Android? I didn't know it exists as a stand alone application.

I think if you want to use offboard I'm afraid you will have to use Papago, though that isn't free as well. (There are ways around that, but you'll need to search for yourself on the internet.)

There is also a hacked version of Google Maps Navigation (which I like a lot), but it's not flawless, and you will need an internet connection all the time.

universal

Postby universal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:18 pm

azlan96 wrote:
Inggo wrote:we are currently support Garmin map & Papago Map..
so, just using Garmin for Android or Papago for Android..
if any.

There is a Garmin for Android? I never knew.. can give me links?

this is the link, just found in test yet.
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... GllbnQiXQ..

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”