Google Nexus One Handphone 2010

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Google Nexus One Handphone 2010

Postby drsec » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:31 pm

The reports that have come in so far is that its camera is below par and the low battery life.

I suspect it is bandwidth hungry and requires a reliable and a very stable 3G network, which may be an issue here in Malaysia.

bahathir

Postby bahathir » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Camera : I am not an expert about photography, the pictures taken by the N1 is just OK... no bells or whistles. Just a very basic and simple.

Power hungry? Most of the smartphones such as the n1 and iphone connected to Internet most of the time. So, the power consumption will be greater then normal phones.

Ok, beside N1, I also have Nokia E52. If I enabled SIP apps, the battery lasts about 8 hours. But I get better result with N1, considering it checks my google apps, web browsing, playing games, ..... Next, I'll try to disable data connections, and use it as normal phone, and I may get better battery life. FYI, the Nokia E52 battery is 1500 mAH, and N1 is 1400 mAH.

IMHO, celcom 3g is Ok. I can get good connection most of the time.

TQ.
--
Garmin nüvi® 755T (v2.80 TWN)

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:49 pm

bahathir wrote:Camera : I am not an expert about photography, the pictures taken by the N1 is just OK... no bells or whistles. Just a very basic and simple.

Power hungry? Most of the smartphones such as the n1 and iphone connected to Internet most of the time. So, the power consumption will be greater then normal phones.

Ok, beside N1, I also have Nokia E52. If I enabled SIP apps, the battery lasts about 8 hours. But I get better result with N1, considering it checks my google apps, web browsing, playing games, ..... Next, I'll try to disable data connections, and use it as normal phone, and I may get better battery life. FYI, the Nokia E52 battery is 1500 mAH, and N1 is 1400 mAH.

IMHO, celcom 3g is Ok. I can get good connection most of the time.

TQ.

You are very lucky indeed En Bahathir. Cos my Celcom internet connection sucks big time. Most of the time I cant get connected at all, especially when the area has the competitor network. Been to Celcom many times and they can't resolve my problem. It is the same with both my missus' 2 handphones and my 3G modem. My 3G modem is forced down to 2G most of the time.

I can only conclude that Celcom internet connection will be the deal breaker for Nexus and that Celcom internet access is the worst of all the Service Providers.

If there are any Celcom execs here, hear me.

bahathir

Postby bahathir » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah... the celcom 3g connectivity quality is related to the locations. Ok, TBH, there are places where the connection is bad, or I only got GPRS or EDGE only, especially at kampung areas. Celcom 3G is not excellent, but just OK enough for me to do my daily tasks. :)
BTW, this type of smartphone are suitable for who likes to be connected to Internet at most of the time. So there are few things that this phone are not quite up to the normal standards, such as,
1) Battery life
2) SMS Messaging
3) No 3G video
4) Not as tough as old Nokia or Motorola phones :)

Thank you.
--

drsec

Postby drsec » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 pm

That is what I mean.

The reports indicate that Nexus works well only if the 3G network is strong and stable. This is because it does use a lot of network connectivity. In areas with less than stable network or poor network signal strength (like here in Malaysia), the phone work as a standalone phone just like other mobile phones.

One more very disturbing feedback is the poor support. Some suggest that Google, having no experience is selling & supporting hardware, is ill-prepared. Google seems to respond only to email complaints. Many Users have resorted to calling the Network Provider or HTC for phone support and they are in turn pushed back to Google. I can imagine the fall-out if it were introduced here.

There have been numerous problems uncovered, many are being worked on and the solutions are slow in coming. There are compatibility issues with some Android based applications downloaded from the marketplace. In many cases, Users are asked to factory reset the units.

I would really advise everyone to wait until the bugs are ironed out. Dont be like me, being the first one off the blocks for the HTC HD2.
Last edited by drsec on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelim
Location: Melaka, Dell Axim 50v + Haicom CF GPS + Agis Navigator 2006, Holux 62E + Papago X3, Samsung Ace + X5

Postby mikelim » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:44 pm

After reading some of the negative feedbacks, i guess i just let go of Nexus 1 for the time being..... and maybe looking for HTC Cruise, Hero or Magic..... or Nokia 5800 or newer versions...... i have till May to get a new handphone.....

bahathir

Postby bahathir » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes those problems also distubing me. Actually I ordered my N1, before I read the problems :)... But, thanks to God, I am satisfied with my N1, :) Even on Edge, it is still acceptable fast.... as long the network is not congested :).

I am quite puzzled, why testers or google's staffs or reviews (engadget,... ) did not report any problem before the announcement/sale ? IMHO, the reviewers were very attracted the the phone itself. Yes, the phone is slim and very nice. You can read my impression in the LYN thread which I posted earlier. :

Google said, the N1 has international HTC warranty... so I am not worried much, :) I also hoping HTC will brings in the N1 to Malaysia too :), and you can feel it by yourself. :)

Yeah... to be safe, just hold your intention to buy the N1... There will be N2, N3, .... :) or, until it officially in Malaysia.

TQ
--

l380n

Postby l380n » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 am

Hai all,

I happen to be using Nexus One (for 2 weeks now), what I can tell about it is that: it needs bigger battery capacity (hahaha).
Under normal use (i.e.: SMS, phone calls lasting for 5-10 mins each, checking emails-newsfeed, no games) it can last a day (8 a.m. - 7 p.m., just in time to get it recharge)
But when I try Google Maps....well....you better wish you bring your charger with you
Until now I've set the device with minimum screen brightness, disable 3G.

Apart from the battery life, for me everything is good, it has good screen, light, and thin (but i wish it has more grip, the casing's too slippery for me haha)

Btw, does anyone know by any chance if Papago is available for Nexus One? my friend use it with Dopod Android and it works like a charm and I want one if you guys (or girls) have any info about it.
(Thanks a bunch :) )

bahathir

Postby bahathir » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Welcome to MFM :)

Battery life.... yeah, in normal use, it only can stay about a day (12 hours). and from the Battery Use informations, the most power hungry item is the DISPLAY. :). Imagine if it use the TFT LCD. Mught be some day, I'll try to limit my N1 as normal phone and see how long it can survive. :)

Beside Papago, I am also waiting for Android apps from Garmin. This will be very interesting.
--

hmanxx

Postby hmanxx » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello,
I am Nexus one owner, love the phone to the core..Despite the initial negative report(intentionally bullshit to ruin this phone from some ill intentions media). I proceed to order.

Proven to be true..browsing speed, usability, LCD quality..all good good..to make it perfect..i need to find a offline GPS software..

Question: Any good recommendation ?

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”