Nokia 5800 - Part 1

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
kennyboy

Re: Garmin Mobile XT Symbian 5.00.30 Support 5800 Touch Screen

Postby kennyboy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:11 am

duke17 wrote:
Thanks a lot bro :tq:

I still have difficulty in getting the Virtual Keyboard from the pages listed here.
Only 2 things need to be done.

1) To install the Virtual Keyboard.
2) The installation does'nt recognise my Device ID (Is this my phone's IMEI?) so this resulted in the software not recognising my integrated GPS :frus: :ko:

virtual keyboard isn't needed anymore.

duke17
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Re: Garmin Mobile XT Symbian 5.00.30 Support 5800 Touch Screen

Postby duke17 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:12 am

kennyboy wrote:
duke17 wrote:
Thanks a lot bro :tq:

I still have difficulty in getting the Virtual Keyboard from the pages listed here.
Only 2 things need to be done.

1) To install the Virtual Keyboard.
2) The installation does'nt recognise my Device ID (Is this my phone's IMEI?) so this resulted in the software not recognising my integrated GPS :frus: :ko:

virtual keyboard isn't needed anymore.

:thumbsup: :tq:
Garmin Montana 650; Nuvi 2575RLM; BMW Navigator V; Nuvi 205; Garmin Edge 1000; mfm

duke17
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Re: Garmin Mobile XT on Nokia 5800

Postby duke17 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:32 pm

My N5800 is now functioning very well.
When connection is made with Assisted GPS & NetworK based under POSITION METHODS, connections to GPS is very fast, but ..you have to pay for packet data charges....to the service provider. :shock: :( :cry: The advantage is .. you are able to obtain much more information \:D/
To save cost, just use the Integrated GPS connection. However, connection to GPS satellites will be a little slower, and of course you get less information because you are not online. :peace: :peace: :peace:
Garmin Montana 650; Nuvi 2575RLM; BMW Navigator V; Nuvi 205; Garmin Edge 1000; mfm

J-Slade

Postby J-Slade » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 pm

duke17 wrote:My N5800 is now functioning very well.
When connection is made with Assisted GPS & NetworK based under POSITION METHODS, connections to GPS is very fast, but ..you have to pay for packet data charges....to the service provider. :shock: :( :cry: The advantage is .. you are able to obtain much more information \:D/
To save cost, just use the Integrated GPS connection. However, connection to GPS satellites will be a little slower, and of course you get less information because you are not online. :peace: :peace: :peace:

Bro I wouldn't advice you to use Network Based because someone used that and the phone bill came up to quite high of data usage.

Just use Assisted GPS and Integrated GPS enough... within 3 seconds can get a lock. The charges is only about 10~50cents for each time to connect.
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic loaded with Garmin Mobile XT loaded with mfm
www.KnowMoreStuff.com
Everyone wants to know more stuff... Don't you?

duke17
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Postby duke17 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 am

J-Slade wrote:
duke17 wrote:My N5800 is now functioning very well.

Bro I wouldn't advice you to use Network Based because someone used that and the phone bill came up to quite high of data usage.

Just use Assisted GPS and Integrated GPS enough... within 3 seconds can get a lock. The charges is only about 10~50cents for each time to connect.

Bro J-Slade :tq: :champ: :peace:
:rox: :rox:

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:40 am

the data charges is from AGPS and not Network Based..
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

duke17
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Postby duke17 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 am

vash_h wrote:the data charges is from AGPS and not Network Based..

:-? :-? :-? :ko:
Is it Connection charges by Assisted GPS?
and Data Charges by Network Based?

stevenycs

Postby stevenycs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:46 pm

I don't think you need to pay anything to the network provider for the A-GPS capability as it uses Satellite directly. Unless one day Garmin decided to charge us for that. ](*,) ](*,)

Anyway, I am using Nokia 5800XM and this problem doesn't arise.

Just use Assisted GPS should be OK. :rox:
GPS'ing around town with my JB iPhone 3GS

duke17
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Postby duke17 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:04 pm

:frus: I came across Topic on "Nokia Sports Tracker" sometime.. but could'nt seem to find this thread.
Can anyone help? :(

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:46 pm

stevenycs wrote:I don't think you need to pay anything to the network provider for the A-GPS capability as it uses Satellite directly. Unless one day Garmin decided to charge us for that. ](*,) ](*,)

Anyway, I am using Nokia 5800XM and this problem doesn't arise.

Just use Assisted GPS should be OK. :rox:

how does nokia AGPS work? basically, the moment u switch on your AGPS enabled phone's GPS, your phone will collect your current cellular broadcasting station's unique ID, and send it to Nokia's server (you can see it defined on your 5800xm menu->settings->Phone->Application Sett.->Positioning->Positioning Server, it is defined as supl.nokia.com. However, if your Access Point is not defined, OR you did not set the GPRS/3G/EDGE/3.5G settings properly, then AGPS jst simply dont function and normal GPS will take effect.)

The server then checks with its database, on the strongest satelites covering your cell broadcast tower, and sends it to your phone.

Your phone's GPS will then attempt to connect to those satelites. Result: GPS lock in less than 3 secs, and data charges of 7kb each time you use your AGPS.

to comfirm if there is any data transfered, reset your data usage counter, then start up your garmin.. after you get a lock, exit the program and check the counter. you will see 3kb out going and 4kb incoming data transfer..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copy and paste from Nokia Website: http://europe.nokia.com/A4480068

What is A-GPS?

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) is an enhanced version of GPS. A-GPS retrieves assistance data over a data connection (like GPRS or 3G), which helps your device calculate the coordinates of your current location when receiving signals from satellites.

What are the benefits of A-GPS?

A-GPS is designed to get a fix on satellites faster and more reliably, meaning you get a smoother GPS experience. It reduces the time a GPS enabled device requires to find its current position, known as Time To First Fix (TTFF), for most geographical locations worldwide.

A-GPS is most useful in urban areas, where you could be navigating through "urban canyons", or in a moving car.

A-GPS improves user experience for all applications on your device which use integrated GPS.

Are there any extra costs for using A-GPS?

You pay your service provider for data transferred over the cellular network. Please keep in mind that the charges might be higher while roaming.

How do I activate A-GPS?

The first time you use an application that involves GPS (and A-GPS) service, the device will automatically ask for the access point with the question: "Access point is required for secure positioning. Define now?" If you want to enable A-GPS usage, answer "Yes".

If you select "No", you can define the access point later: select Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Positioning > Positioning Methods > Assisted GPS.

Now you only need to define the correct access point. Select your service provider's access point for accessing the internet.

If you want to change the A-GPS access point, go to the main menu > Tools > Settings > General > Positioning

* > Positioning methods - enable/disable positioning methods. If you do not want to use A-GPS (e.g. while roaming) you can disable it from here.
* > Positioning server - change the access point and the positioning server address used for A-GPS (and network based positioning when available).

How do I know if I have A-GPS activated on my device?

Please check following settings from your Nokia device:

Main menu > Tools > Settings > General > Positioning

* > Positioning methods - select assisted GPS.
* > Positioning server > Access point - Select your service provider's access point.
* > Positioning server > Server address - the positioning server address used for A-GPS (default supl.nokia.com)

To confirm that A-GPS is working, open an application that shows the Satellite status such as Nokia Maps: (Menu > Maps > Options > Maps options > Satellite info).

When A-GPS info is received successfully, there should be a list of satellites with very short strength bars visible soon after the Nokia Maps application is opened.
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”