HERE for Android Beta

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
tympg
Senior Mapper

HERE for Android Beta

Postby tympg » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Nokia (the part that was not taken over by Microsoft) has released their HERE map app for Android, although it's still in Beta.

HERE for Android webpage: http://here.com/beta/android/?lang=en-GB
(Click on the blue "Get the app now" to download the APK which is 30+MB in size. It is not yet available in Google Play.)

Features
  • Offline navigation: Interactive maps and turn-by-turn voice guidance are still available even without an internet connection.
  • Maps to download and to use offline for nearly 100 countries.
  • Public transport maps and directions for over 800 cities in over 40 countries, also when you're offline.
  • Live traffic info for more than 40 countries.
  • Plan your journey on beta.here.com, then find your way there using your mobile.
  • Personalise your map by creating Collections of your favourite places.
  • Share your location with family and friends in real time as you go via Glympse. It’s private, secure and safe.

What I like about HERE is you can have true offline navigation unlike Google Maps which at the moment is not possible to download offline maps for Malaysia. For Nokia HERE, you can download whole countries' maps for offline use.

Also, navigation accuracy is superior to that of Google Maps in my local area (this is partly because Google's Malaysia map provider MapIT is really hopeless).

Downside is Live Traffic is only available for Klang Valley, SG & JB. And I think for User Interface, Google Maps is still more slick than HERE; for instance in Google Maps you can do 1½ taps (double-tap but stay on the screen on the 2nd tap) then move up or down to zoom in or zoom out with one finger.

As for POI database, neither Google Maps nor Nokia HERE is perfect; what's missing in one may be available in the other and vice versa and sometimes the POI location is a bit off (contributor fault I guess).
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Re: HERE for Android Beta

Postby sobamy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Thank you for sharing bro. Will try it out. Navfree maps which can be downloaded free from Google Play Store is another good one - uses GPS and not data connection unlike Google and Waze.
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks for the HERE Beta apk. I have just installed and played with it for a short while - looks good. In Spore, can also search by Postal Code - that's great!
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

ahza
Valued Contributor

Postby ahza » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:26 am

Thanks for sharing. Btw could not install on my phone (Zenfone 5). Offlinemap which has free version on play store can dl map from google, bing and other site but not the whole country, or our community map sadly.

edit: 3rd time try - able to installed properly link with my acc. Voila my poi ported

Tijah yang hantar pakai trak SWM
255W retired, 3560 current
64s and old Nuvi 350

jankalman

Postby jankalman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Huh, but there is an another software, you can download it through play.google! ;)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sygic.aura
I tried this one, it is brilliant!

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks for sharing Bro...
Common Sense Is Not Common.

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:50 am

I own Sygic, nice interface but the map is terrible especially wrong road in my area, Penang

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 am

Tested Here map, the roads :/ the map is comprehensive, but again lack of POI.

时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

eddy_duyung
Contributor
Location: Tinggi Island,Johore. Garmin Mobile XT,nüvi 50LM,nüvi 880,nüvi 255W,nüvi 2465

Postby eddy_duyung » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:54 pm

HERE applications is using NAVTEQ maps,same as previously Nokia Map on Nokia Symbian.This map still cant beat MFM bro...MFM map still on the top.I have NAVTEQ map on my Garmin.So i'm abort to download the map,BTW TQ for the informations,might usefull for others to use this applications.
Nokia 5800XM , Garmin nüvi 50LM,Garmin nüvi 880,Garmin nüvi 255W,Garmin nüvi 2465

klchua

Postby klchua » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:39 pm

yc1437 wrote:I own Sygic, nice interface but the map is terrible especially wrong road in my area, Penang

Sygic still need to be online for search?

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”