Speedview (Tracking for Android Devices - GPX Output)

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
tympg
Senior Mapper

Speedview (Tracking for Android Devices - GPX Output)

Postby tympg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:06 pm

If you have an Android device, you can use Speedview to record GPX tracks on your phone.

I like this app because, although it is mainly a speedometer app, you can get it to record your trip easily. The GPX file is output in the Speedview folder in the SDCard / storage of your phone.

And unlike other Android apps I have used (mainly cycling or running apps or even "My Track" by Google), Speedview's records the GPX tracks in one-second intervals, which is precisely what we want in a good track for mapping purposes.

The app is flexible enough to turn off or on the recording feature (the blue Log On area in the diagram below) whenever you want to.

Here is a sample of my track, which I converted to GDB (using GPSBabel) because MapSource doesn't seem to like Speedview's GPX format (but GPSMapEdit is fine with it).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

aie125

Re: Speedview (Tracking for Android Devices - GPX Output)

Postby aie125 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:24 pm

:thumbsup:

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 am

tympg wrote:If you have an Android device, you can use Speedview to record GPX tracks on your phone.

I like this app because, although it is mainly a speedometer app, you can get it to record your trip easily. The GPX file is output in the Speedview folder in the SDCard / storage of your phone.

And unlike other Android apps I have used (mainly cycling or running apps or even "My Track" by Google), Speedview's records the GPX tracks in one-second intervals, which is precisely what we want in a good track for mapping purposes.

The app is flexible enough to turn off or on the recording feature (the blue Log On area in the diagram below) whenever you want to.

Here is a sample of my track, which I converted to GDB (using GPSBabel) because MapSource doesn't seem to like Speedview's GPX format (but GPSMapEdit is fine with it).

Thank you bro for sharing the info. Although I have yet to try it, I noticed that "Speedview" GPX has to be converted (similar to "Sports Tracker") to GDB or GPX for Mapsource to open whereas "My Tracks" GPX, saved in SD Card, can be opened directly with Mapsource. Also in "My Tracks", one can use the Pin Marker to mark the POIs. Both also have a 1-sec tracking capabilities. These are just my observation. :-)

Sent from my i9500 using Tapatalk 2
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

aie125

Postby aie125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

=P~ first,my english very bad.. hantam saja lah..haha #-o .. I've use this SpeedView to record my first track ..Useful for android phone built in gps user ,easy to use..

aie125

Postby aie125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:40 am

But Mapsource cant read the .gpx file .. Is there are any android app can convert it to .gdb .. ?? =P~

aie125

Postby aie125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:43 am

Well,not all people got pc to convert it to .gdb .. :champ:

aie125

Postby aie125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Cannot use gpsbabel because no pc , still can convert it using gpx to gdb online converter ..Wish someone can make mapsource app for android,gpx to gdb converter for android and edit map via android only.. =P~ :zzz:

wblee

Postby wblee » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm

aie125 wrote:But Mapsource cant read the .gpx file .. Is there are any android app can convert it to .gdb .. ?? =P~

mapsource unable to read gpx file generate from speedview?

aie125

Postby aie125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Yes,mapsource unable to import the gpx file from speedview ..I use speedview pro,dont know about the lite one ..

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:36 pm

aie125 wrote:Yes,mapsource unable to import the gpx file from speedview ..I use speedview pro,dont know about the lite one ..

The Alert Mode for Speed Warning is not available in the Lite version as opposed to the Pro version I suppose.

Sent from my i9500 using Tapatalk 2
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”