Waze

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sabre23t

Re: Waze

Postby sabre23t » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am

alyem wrote:yes, i refer it to traffic jam and police road block

For that matter police speed traps. On Kesas after morning rush hours, before evening rush hours, the police love to hide on the divider near bridges and shoot their radar gun at unsuspecting cars on the fast lane. A few times, Wazers reporting "hidden police" alerted me to this speed trap. But this is only effective if there are more kind Wazers sending real time reports.

We need more Wazers. :mrgreen:

BTW, how do we really make use of the group feature in Waze? I've joined the "MfM" group you created, but there's only 2 wall posts on it.
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

mingteikg

Where did Waze get the 3d map from

Postby mingteikg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 am

Just a general discusssion - How did Waze get our Malaysia (and any other countries maps)? Waze started off a non-profit, where did Waze get the map?

Especially map of malaysia...

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Where did Waze get the 3d map from

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 am

Waze is a "crowd-sourced" mobile navigation app, a kind of social network for drivers that collects map data from all its users, who can report traffic incidents /delays and then gives directions based on that data, which is collected in real time, to find the fastest driving route. The more users contributing data, the more accurate the map ...

mingteikg

Postby mingteikg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 am

I totally understand how does Waze works... but how did Waze get the 3d map? Did they reverse engineered it from Garmin or some other mapping service? I'm sure as a start up back then, they have no budget to purchase the maps from mapping providers..

user66

Postby user66 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 am

reverse engineering is wrong.

like bro silver mentioned waze is community map very much like mfm.

users draw the maps. you can still see many empty areas in the map.

users can also map from Bing satelite image.

ming86

Postby ming86 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 pm

User can record new roads and update new roads using their map editor at http://world.waze.com/editor/ :mrgreen:

halimsaleh

Postby halimsaleh » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Guys
i'm using waze for 2 months now. I like the features and community update about traffic condition.
It help me alot during day to day and also during Raya ...balik kampung .
Lets make WAZE a real time GPS tool!

n33d

Postby n33d » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:54 pm

After trying waze for a few days, i could say I LOVE the idea of crowd sourcing integration with gps navigation.. It makes the map more alive and full of useful information that helps me to anticipate the real traffic condition ahead like never before.

Same as other app that relied on the crowd sourcing. Size and quality of the community is the most important thing in order for the concept to work. that is why IMO the only downside is the awareness and amount wazers in my country, malaysia. In big cities like KL and Penang, no problem to find wazers here and there contributing realtime info but in smaller town, I hardly find any visible wazers around and the road is even in lesser details than the one from google maps.
Just hope that malaysia community will grow bigger next year and i promise myself to contribute as much as i can to the community

sulphur
Valued Contributor

Postby sulphur » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 am

alyem wrote:
yes, i refer it to traffic jam and police road block

+1

Samsunggalaxy

waze vs gps device

Postby Samsunggalaxy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 am

:peace: from android market app. WAZE better than GPS device :lol:
waze anytime can connecting, you don't bother heavy rain, high building and early morning, just switch on waze straight away connect and 100% real position
if you compare waze and gps device, :cry: gps device see weather first good or bad and building blocking or not and not real position sometime.

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”