Sygic

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
jchoong

Re: SYGIC for Android

Postby jchoong » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Sygic's weakness is the outdated and incomplete maps. It is quite good for Singapore; I have not used in in KL and I believe it should be decent. Then it deteriorates quickly with the smaller cities.

I have changed my mobile device and still waiting for a replacement code from Sygic; same problem with my Papago X5.
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

curiou5

Postby curiou5 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Personally I prefer Sygic over Papago for reasons as follows :-

1) Beautiful UI and maps. It shows contour map with green hills and blue sky.
2) Navigation instructions are clear and precise
3) It has the fastest route option which helps to cut down traveling time even though the route maybe further.
4) Landscape mode
5) Navigate to address stored in Contacts.
6) Coordinate input
7) Over speed limit warning and speed limit info at certain route
8) You can add way point to the suggested route and edit the suggested route if you want to avoid certain roads
9) You can search you contacts and make call from Sygic without leaving the program
10) It will let you know roughly the weather condition at your destination.
11) Satellite connection bar chart when locking into satellite.
12) And many other functions not found in Papago

However the downside is the maps coverage. Their Malaysia map are being mapped by TeleAtlas and I understand the update is every quarter. TeleAtlas has opened an office in KL and hopefully Malaysia maps will be more up to date. For KL so far it has gotten me to where I wanted to go.

jaromire

Postby jaromire » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:24 pm

When I'm using Sygic on my SGS2, the phone is not getting hot comparing when i'm using Papago X5. The only disappointment was the updating of the map.
Garmin Nuvi 3970V,Papago X5 Android & Sygic Android

rimmoto
Contributor

Postby rimmoto » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:45 am

i'm using sygic too on my galaxy, It is fast and beautiful. Hopefully MFM can support sygic.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:56 am

rimmoto wrote:Hopefully MFM can support sygic.

It's up to Sygic :mrgreen: . (I doubt they will.)
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

curiou5

Postby curiou5 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:14 pm

jaromire wrote:When I'm using Sygic on my SGS2, the phone is not getting hot comparing when i'm using Papago X5. The only disappointment was the updating of the map.

I was surprised Sygic map is more accurate than Papago in certain areas that I have travelled in Klang valley. Sygic re-routing is faster than Papago

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:20 pm

curiou5 wrote:
jaromire wrote:When I'm using Sygic on my SGS2, the phone is not getting hot comparing when i'm using Papago X5. The only disappointment was the updating of the map.

I was surprised Sygic map is more accurate than Papago in certain areas that I have travelled in Klang valley. Sygic re-routing is faster than Papago

Can you point out which Klang Valley areas that we have not track?

curiou5

Postby curiou5 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:34 pm

tuah wrote:
curiou5 wrote:

Can you point out which Klang Valley areas that we have not track?

Certain roads/tracks in Taman Setiawangsa, Dato Keramat, Ampang, Sri Rampai areas appeared in Sygic but not in Papago. Certain junctions in the same areas appeared in Sygic but not in Papago. A lot of small roads like back lanes appears in Sygic but not in Papago.

Some alleys (frequently use by cars) near my office (Bukit Bintang) not in Papago but in Sygic map.

garytan
Valued Contributor

Postby garytan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:27 am

[quote="curiou5"]Personally I prefer Sygic over Papago for reasons as follows :-

for me sygic better than papago because when i plug in the in car charger my phone battery will not drain off. if I using papago with my sgs2 from klang to the most jasin melaka my battery is totally flat!!

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:27 pm

I changed device recently, and after a couple of tries contacting Sygic support, I finally got a free license transfer to my new Galaxy S2. Not so lucky with Papago - no response to my emails re upgrading from X5 to X8!!!
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”