Sygic

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
hongaun

Re: SYGIC for Android

Postby hongaun » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Sygic definitely better. the reason why sygic is faster when you run wrong route because it calculates all the possible routes when you start. PPG recalculates on the fly. Many times PPG ask me to turn into the wrong direction (Assume that im in a LH drive in Malaysia wth!). Even with the latest MFM maps, PPG's routing is really bad.

Sygic despite its limited coverage in Malaysia, still remains my first choice.

Lanujang

Postby Lanujang » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 am

if only sygic can work together with mfm... :thumbsup:

adx

Postby adx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:48 am

I wish that too. How do we make this happen?

gpsmy

Postby gpsmy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Sygic will not fly in countries like Malaysia & Singapore, as long as they don't work with a free map community like MFM. It is nice to see all those 3D things, but what is the point when the map is not updated & point you to no where? If you're familiar with those places then you don't even need to look at the GPS screen itself.

If Sygic wanna to be successful then they should partner with MFM.

:rox:

Lanujang

Postby Lanujang » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:14 pm

sygic is contracted to tomtom hence cannot work with mfm or any other garmin maps

rgseries320

Postby rgseries320 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi all, i've been using Sygic 1.1.25 for my android device. I found it something fishy upon routing when i use it for assistance driving at Kuala Lumpur. I found the routing are incorrect and it brings me to further distance. I wonder why is it so. I use garmin before this. Garmin route me to a distance in real time. Not like Sygic, it brings me to a place with a big round. Is there any setting?
I went through the setting and change to faster time, shorter distance but still the same..

mych

Postby mych » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:18 am

I am considering moving to Android but GPS app is my primary use. Been quite happy with Garmin XT on WinMobile 6.1. It still works fine on my older Asus P535 and TYTN II.
Is there Garmin XT for Android?

sweetsour224

Postby sweetsour224 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:05 am

I'm so perfectly happie with Garmin XT on my Winmo (Thanks a lot a lot for your hard work on the fantastic map! I can't imagine how my life would be without it!!) until I changed to Samsung Tab recently. Desperately looking for new GPS navigation for android.

I'm unsure about Sygic, still wondering if it's worth trying.
Anyone have tried "Navfree"? the map at the "OpenStreet.org" for malaysia is so crude. Is there any possibility that MFM will produce compatible map for it? :D

thanks~~ ^^
RElaX.. and go SLOWLY.. life is enjoyable if unhurried.

Saros

Postby Saros » Mon May 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Been using Sygic for a year. I came from a 205 and 205W (205W is inferior btw), using Garmin + assorted MalSing/MFM/NT maps.

Summary:

Pros:
- UI excellent, lots of customization. You can rearrange elements of the screen around the borders.

- UI fast and fluid no jerky jumps or rotation of map. It even has a

- Excellent lane guidance system, clear, simple, quick to understand (don't like junction view anymore after using this feature).

- Search by Google! This makes up a little bit for the lackluster POI system. If it's listed on Google Maps, Sygic can grab the coordinates and guide you there even if it does not have the correct POI. Does not always work.

Cons:
- Malaysia map is not good. Lots of roads and areas don't exist. It's OK for some areas, totally useless for some. There's no logic to it, sometimes small road have, big road don't have. It's just not good coverage overall.

- Only one update in a year, I'm not even sure if it did anything as there is no change log that I can see. They don't seem to care about Malaysia.

- Hardly any POIs and not logical, good luck searching by POI

- Some parts of the UI aren't so intuitive, for example, POI search by city
eg: Previous search was Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Jalan Raja Chulan, KFC
New search Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, (no road specified), McDonalds
There isn't a clear way to "blank" the road name. You have to actually pull up the keyboard and type Kuala Lumpur.

- As in the Pros section, POIs don't always work. You'll get POIs not in the area you specified sometimes, or it just doesn't exist. Sometimes even the Google search results in nothing, although using Google Maps shows results. I have no idea why.

- While Singapore map is excellent, with more POIs, better directions, Malaysia again lacks in this area. But I also feel that Garmin is rubbish. It just loves to bring me around in circles or illogical roads. I've been asked to drive into a condo block once to get to the road on the other side. It's not even a joined road... this happened for both Garmin and Sygic though. So I guess Malaysia roads just plain suck.

- personally, I feel the location arrow is damn big. Feedback to them about this but no change or reply. I don't see a reason why the arrow should be so big that it covers 3 lanes of roads, was fine with Garmin's smaller arrow.

- drains a crapload of battery. Even on a 1-amp charger, I start a 2 hour journey with 50% on my SGS2 I9100G, I end the journey with 55%. The phone is super hot to the point where I feel uncomfortable pocketing it. This may be a problem with the I9100G as I have many problems with this model. I heard the I9100 without the G is fine. Don't expect to use this without a strong charger. I don't think those 0.5A ones will cut it if you turn on 3G and maximum brightness.

So, will I stay with Sygic?
Yes, but only because I search by road names and GPS coords rather than POI. If you're like me who plans the journey before hand, then Sygic is fine. If you're the kind who spontaneously likes to hop in and key in POIs, better not.

P.S: I still carry around my 205W for POI hunting :oops:

Saros

Postby Saros » Mon May 28, 2012 12:31 pm

rgseries320 wrote:Hi all, i've been using Sygic 1.1.25 for my android device. I found it something fishy upon routing when i use it for assistance driving at Kuala Lumpur. I found the routing are incorrect and it brings me to further distance. I wonder why is it so. I use garmin before this. Garmin route me to a distance in real time. Not like Sygic, it brings me to a place with a big round. Is there any setting?
I went through the setting and change to faster time, shorter distance but still the same..

Garmin also brings me big round. They both do that sometimes, I still don't know what logic they use.

Sygic is also real time, I'm not sure why you say it is not. It recalculates immediately if you make a wrong turn. It just doesn't nag you with "Re-calculating, re-calculating, re-calculating" all the time. My 205W randomly does this and it's annoying (more so because in Japanese it sounds rude somehow)

!

Another con of Sygic:
NO JAPANESE VOICE :lol:

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”