Thailand -- General Discussion

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Thailand. Also discussions on various mapping issues.

Moderators: keong8260, Moderators, Thai Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
tonyyan

Thailand.

Postby tonyyan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10 am

I'm new on this forum but wanna express my gratitude to you guys for the maps I have in my 250W.

May I provide some background info.

Driving is still my passion but from 2000 I chanced upon off-roading having bought a suzuki Jimny.

In our Team we always have a end of the Year long road trip with just a few rigs.

Thru the years we've done Thailand, Laos/yunan,Cambodia & Vietnam (up river by boat not car).

I'm old school having been a Wolf Cub then Boy Scout during my schooling days so compass and paper maps were my navigation tools.

It was a kinda personal challenge trying to learn to use a GPS and my initial purchase was the Gecko 100 just to ''breadcrumb'' trail our off-road routes.

At my age I'm a computer dinnosaur and am wary of similar stuff becos I cannot work my way around the ''steps'' involved.

My strength if I may humbly state lies in my mechanical affinity and ability tho I'm not a mechanic by profession but by passion.

From 26 Dec. 08 -4 Jan. 09 I went on a Thai trip and for the first time my better half was with me together with another off-road teammate as co-driver.

This was her first trip with me on ''local '' roads tho we have done Aus ,NZ & Russia together. Then such trips were kinda us guys teammates only ,not by concious choice but more coincidental.

We did the Thai North west region....Doi Ithanon, Angkhang,Doi tung Phu Chi Fa before catching up with my brother and his family in Mesai. Coming down we visited Khampang Phet.

I wish to share some of my GPS experiences in Thailand and hopefully learn something in the resulting exchange that follows.

On the way up north E4 there were not much problems but close to BKG where they were upgrading the E4 some problems arose.

I'm not sure of the cause but can only infer from my past experience.

What was previously a single lane H'way is now a dual lane carriageway so if I drive on the right lane of the dual carrige way the ''Lady'' in my 250W will prompt me to execute a ''U'' turn..!! Maybe future updates will solve this issue.

When we entered into BKG there were kinda similar issues with frontage roads and toll h'ways.

Also in downtown BKG becos of the overhead ''Skytrain'' obstructions there was intermittent loss of satellite reception. Also many previous ''U'' turn intersections are now blocked off for smoother traffic flow .

Surprisingly traffic was uncharactically light and I was secretly most pleased that I was able to locate a ''hotel'' which we stayed in way back in 2003 .

Returning we tried to locate a ''cave'' in Petchaburi but was unsuccessful. I've done some google map searches but so far still am not successful but next I'll try my paper maps and I'll find it eventually.

I too have ''found'' that on my 250W the GPS cannot calculate any route outta 'bout 250km range and I adapted to this restriction. In future i'd need to save waypoints with this parameter in mind.

Sorry for my lengthy discourse but I'm still rather amazed by what the 250W has empowered us on this trip.

Happy Wheelin.................

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: Thailand.

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks for sharing your experience with us :)

fat_miao

Re: Thailand Map Development - City Index Standard

Postby fat_miao » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:43 am

Yeah ~~~~ :peace:

hope to try out by November ... hopefully the Flu isnt there to halt my trip to BKK hehehe ~~

I will try to do some point if I am in Sungai Kolok ... havent gone much, coz i m chicken of the bombs ~~ :oops:
Garmin Mobile XT --> Garmin 205W --> Papago (android) --> Papago 8.5x (Car)

samho1976

Postby samho1976 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:48 pm

i am driving to bangkok from Alor star this friday. I am using Nuvi 255W. Anything i can help along the way? please advise.

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:43 pm

samho1976 wrote:i am driving to bangkok from Alor star this friday. I am using Nuvi 255W. Anything i can help along the way? please advise.

yes, we need 1 sec track for accuracy.

track for POI too
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

samho1976

Postby samho1976 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:40 am

alyem wrote:
samho1976 wrote:i am driving to bangkok from Alor star this friday. I am using Nuvi 255W. Anything i can help along the way? please advise.

track for POI too

pardon me. I am still noob on GPS. what is 1sec track for accuracy? how to do that?

as for POI no problem. hehe

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:42 am

samho1976 wrote:
alyem wrote:

track for POI too

pardon me. I am still noob on GPS. what is 1sec track for accuracy? how to do that?

as for POI no problem. hehe

Get to understand this >> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3929

and this >> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1616

and this >> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3166

:tq:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

hesperus

Postby hesperus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:27 am

Hi,

I'm a new member here.. Understand that you guys are building up the map for Thailand at the moment and would like to see if I can offer any help in terms of language support.

Given that my family migrated from Thailand to Singapore when I was young, I wouldn't say my Thai is of a native standard, but I think I can help out when it comes to naming places, roads, etc into English.

Do let me know if I am able to help.

josephsbs

Postby josephsbs » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:01 am

alyem wrote:Thailand is not ready for download. Still in the Oven. :mrgreen:

hi there
any projected date for release?
i'm planning a ride up to maybe chiangmai, guess the routable map will save my day :thumbsup:

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 am

josephsbs wrote:hi there
any projected date for release?
i'm planning a ride up to maybe chiangmai, guess the routable map will save my day :thumbsup:

The map has been released a few weeks ago as part of the MFM Mal/Sing map but the mapping has not reached Chiangmai yet. Only south Thailand so far. :)
Lean not on your own understanding

Return to “Thailand Map Discussion & Feedback”