Pulau Redang will no longer be budget travelers spot

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
stimix

Pulau Redang will no longer be budget travelers spot

Postby stimix » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:27 am

Very sad day for budget travelers :cry: ](*,)

KUALA TERENGGANU: Pulau Redang — rated as one of the world’s most beautiful islands — is set to be turned into a getaway exclusively for the rich and famous.

Terengganu Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Said said the state government would no longer approve the construction of chalet-type accommodation on the renowned island, which is much visited by the diving community.

“Only hotels rated five-star and above will be allowed to be built,” he said when met after the state assembly sitting here yesterday.

In future, only wealthy individuals would be able to afford holidays in Pulau Redang as hotel rooms will cost no less than US$500 (RM1,599) a night, Ahmad said.

He that said with the decision to turn the island into a high-end holiday destination, current chalets catering for backpackers would have to upgrade and raise their rates.

Asked if the move would draw criticism from non-governmental organisations, Ahmad said it was the only way to save the surrounding rich marine life and prevent environmental destruction due to pollution and indiscriminate littering.

“Some of the budget accommodation places on the island have no proper sewage system and waste is directed to the sea, and this destroys the corals,” he said.

Apart from that, Pulau Redang is a jewel for Terengganu and the 10th most beautiful island in the world, Ahmad said.

“Efforts must be made to save the island from deteriorating environmentally. Those on budget excursions can visit other islands like Pulau Kapas and Pulau Perhentian that are equally charming.”

Pulau Redang, a popular holiday destination for locals as well as foreigners, attracts about 100,000 visitors annually including many who flock there to visit the marine park.

Terengganu Tourist Association deputy president Alex Lee lauded the move, saying that it was time for Malaysia to create its own niche market.

“Redang has only one five-star hotel and others are mostly budget accomodations,” he said.

He believed the move by Ahmad was initiated out of concern for the environment as damage to the corals had been extensive.

The owner of an eight-room hotel in Redang, however, was worried that his livelihood would be affected if Pulau Redang became an exclusive holiday destination.

He said the move would affect many holidaymakers, both local and foreign, who would not be able to afford to stay in Pulau Redang if the state government went ahead with the niche market proposal.

“I hope the state government will meet budget hotel and chalet operators in Redang to get our views and include us in the planning,” said the man, who wanted to be known only as Dina,

He also said the state government should ensure there was proper drainage and sewage on the island for better waste disposal.

Another chalet operator, Nik Kamal Nik Husin, 43, said the move would only burden the villagers on the island as many were renting out rooms to budget travellers.

He also said only a handful of irresponsible chalet operators were directing the waste into the sea.

The state government, he said, should build a centralised sewage treatment to deal with the waste disposal problem.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
ImageImage
ImageImage

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Re: Pulau Redang will no longer be budget travelers spot

Postby FrancisTLim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am

As long as they allow boats to visit the Pulau Redang Lagoon and beaches, then it will not be a problem because I usually stay on Pulau Perhentian and take a boat to Pulau Redang to enjoy the beautiful corals there for a few hours.

But I have not been there for a few years already, so I am not sure if Pulau Perhentian has changed. Haha.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

divemuster
Contributor

Postby divemuster » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:41 am

This really irks me to no end!!!! :frus:

The reasons given are completely ridiculous :nutz: . If they had intended to preserve the environment, there are many ways to do it and they have NOT been doing anything all these while. Education & enforcement are sorely lacking.

This is just about preserving money in selected pockets and nothing else....

:x
To Air is Human, To Nitrox Divine!!

naim

Postby naim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:44 am

They are doing the same thing to G Kinabalu.
Pls see my travelogues at http://naim.my - THANKS!

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:33 pm

It is "a getaway exclusively for the rich and famous". Do not disturb the rich & famous [-X

stimix

Postby stimix » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:54 pm

I got the feeling this new Redang will become a exclusive nudist beach liao...If yes me OK liao to spend just for a chance.. :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:56 pm

tuah wrote:It is "a getaway exclusively for the rich and famous". Do not disturb the rich & famous [-X

we are poor and unknown lol

seeseesee

Postby seeseesee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:32 pm

:fire:

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 am

rich and famous all go Caribbean and Mediterranean liao la.. stupid tourism people.. when will they hire 'educated people that can make educated guess' rather than simply hantam.. of the 1 5star resort in redang, berjaya.. how full is it? THE DEMAND FOR THE RICH IN REDANG IS NOT THAT HIGH!!

terengganu will die if redang loose's its 'poor' tourist.. imagine no redang's usual 'peak season tourists'.. then all the 'mahligai' buses empty lio.. as 'rich flies' and dont sit bus.. all the budget hotels around jetty all can tutup kedai d as the rich dont use them.. all the mamak, restaurants nearby jetty all tutup also as the rich dont eat there.. SO HOW? terengganu suffers at the end..

even the backpackers ang moh langs will also avoid redang d.. u think they suka to pay so much to hotel r? thing twice.. backpackers go for budget.. not luxury.
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

BMarqa

Postby BMarqa » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm

U can observed that how smart MB Teganu...........

Return to “Holiday & Travel”