1st trip to hat yai - some questions

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
gvmsia

1st trip to hat yai - some questions

Postby gvmsia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

i'm driving into hat yai soon, 1st trip to thailand. some qs...
1. best place to change ringgit to baht - before or after border crossing? any suggestion for place with the best rates?
2. where is the earliest point i can buy thai 3g data sim card (DTAC Happy Internet plan)?
3. parking along hat yai streets... do i need parking ticket, coupon etc?
4. return to malaysia... where best to buy duty free liquor?
thanks

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: 1st trip to hat yai - some questions

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Start off with this thread and add contribution after your trip :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12144&hilit=thailand

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:09 pm

gvmsia wrote:i'm driving into hat yai soon, 1st trip to thailand. some qs...
1. best place to change ringgit to baht - before or after border crossing? any suggestion for place with the best rates?
I always change in Changlun while buying 3rd party insurance. There are several to choose from and you should check the rates. I always compare the rates with I can get from money changers in Penang and have always found HTC to be very reasonable. Don't wish to be seen here promoting one above the other. My logic is very simple. If I do not get good rates in Changlun, there is a chance to try better at destination but if I do not try before reaching Hat Yai, then I have no options. Rule of thumb is because you are captive after the border, they can charge you anything they want.
2. where is the earliest point i can buy thai 3g data sim card (DTAC Happy Internet plan)?
Don't know. I always use my own on roaming.
3. parking along hat yai streets... do i need parking ticket, coupon etc?
Not easy and not wise. Better to park your car safely at your hotel and move about by tuk-tuk. Cheap and efficient. Don't even need a GPS.
4. return to malaysia... where best to buy duty free liquor?
If you are returning via Bukit Kayu Hitam, then the only place is at the BKH Duty Free Shop but they close at 5:00pm Malaysian time. I always buy what I need on the way in then I do not need to rush before they close. The Thai authorities do not check and the shop will sell you any quantity you wish - no restrictions.
thanks

I shall try to answer your questions as best as I can. Answers inserted after your questions above.
Lean not on your own understanding

ajay

Postby ajay » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 am

try look for 7-11 to buy your thai sim card
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

gvmsia

Postby gvmsia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:48 am

thanks all for info :thumbsup:

Return to “Holiday & Travel”