Travel to Thailand from KL

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
netly

Re: Travel to Thailand from KL

Postby netly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Thai insurance was selling many place near Changlun normally I bought at 5a.m Malaysia time and the place call “Naluri Aman Bukit Kayu” .

ajay

Postby ajay » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:37 pm

just came back from phuket. road condition is quite smooth except for a few stretch between trang & krabi where road widening is taking place. i think from next year onwards the journey will be much better. border crossing is quite smooth at wang kelian. just show passport & no need for the whole family to turn up at the counter. at danuk on the way back, everybody needs to be at the counter.
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

dee64

Postby dee64 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Ajay, I notice that you're running both Papago and Garmin. For your recent Thailand trip, particularly in Krabi, which device (and which map) did you use? If you used both, which one worked better for you? Thanks.

wcl1988

Postby wcl1988 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:18 pm

ajay wrote:just came back from phuket. road condition is quite smooth except for a few stretch between trang & krabi where road widening is taking place. i think from next year onwards the journey will be much better. border crossing is quite smooth at wang kelian. just show passport & no need for the whole family to turn up at the counter. at danuk on the way back, everybody needs to be at the counter.

hi, just want to ask, is the map coverage until krabi? i will use this map as my navigation to Krabi from penang next month....

ajay

Postby ajay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 pm

sorry for not answering...

i use both papago android & garmin in phuket. both are fine. but if i have to choose one, i'll take garmin.

yes, krabi is covered.
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:49 pm

ajay wrote:just came back from phuket. road condition is quite smooth except for a few stretch between trang & krabi where road widening is taking place. i think from next year onwards the journey will be much better. border crossing is quite smooth at wang kelian. just show passport & no need for the whole family to turn up at the counter. at danuk on the way back, everybody needs to be at the counter.

Don't bet on the roads being completed. I thnk it will be another 2-3 years for Highway 4 after Huai Yot to be complete. Take the hill road just before Trang. Work was started last year to convert to dual carriageway. This year - hardly anything has been done. We not only don't have full use of the single lane road any more, some sections we had to take detours. I have not tried Wang Kelian crossing. May try next year.
Lean not on your own understanding

saha

Postby saha » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:17 pm

is there any new map for papago 8.5 on Thailand...

Alphast

Postby Alphast » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:38 pm

JasonLee wrote:
maxjohn wrote:Actually you can get original JPJ registration certificate or photostate JPJ registration certificate with chop validation from nearest police station.
Once you approach Changlun R&R shop, there has counter to help ppl fill up white card and buy Thailand card insurance.
In the border show them you JPJ registration certificate if Malaysia Police request, then drive into big car park which located behind of Thai custom.
After chop your passport, next counter for those drivers to submit their JPJ cert and Thailand insurance to issue the temp Thailand RoadTax (White paper).
When going back from Thailand remember to return the White Paper when you depart at custom.
MFM are very useful in SouthThailand and Have a nice journey.
:rox: :tq:

jusbella wrote:need to get police chop? I heard a lot ppl said no need any chop, just owner car photostat IC, owner IC photostat will do... haiz... so confusing now..

I am afraid you are confusing yourself - not those who are trying to help you.

Bro Maxjohn said that you need to get a chop from the nearest police station IF YOU ARE INTENDING TO USE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE JPJ card. This is to verify that the photocopy is a certified true copy - standard procedure but if you use the original, then there is no need to certify with a chop.

What Bro Maxjohn mentioned about White Paper, is what I told you is the Import Form. You will be importing your car into Thailand albeit for a brief period only.

Your problem is to convince the Malaysian Customs that you are not driving a stolen vehicle and that the legal owner consents to you driving the car out of the country. Just so simple an issue. How you go about proving that the car is not stolen and that the legal owner consents to allow you drive the car out of the country is for you to figure out what will be acceptable to the Malaysian Customs. Don't forget if your car is under finance, there will be a rubber stamp on your JPJ card stating that ownership is claimed by the finance company. As long as the Malaysian Customs sees that, they will want to see an authorisation from the legal owner.

One final word on insurance. Malaysian Insurers have a deal with their Thai counterparts that your Malaysian insurance is valid up to 50Km from the border (same deal in Singapore). Do you wish to face an argument on this score? Is the 50Km line-of-sight or road distance? If by road distance, the centre of Hat Yai is more than 60Km from the border.

Since the 3rd-party Thai insurance is only RM16 for 9 days, it is no big issue to buy. However, that covers only the third party involved in any accident. If your car gets damaged or stolen, you are not covered. If you want that to be covered, you will have to pay extra to your Malaysian insurer. I pay 25% extra on my premium per year to have my comprehensive cover extended to the whole of Thailand.

Hope you are less confused now.

Hello,
Would you advice me to subscribe AXA Insurance in this case ? https://www.axa.com.sg/travel-insurance

Return to “Holiday & Travel”