Guide To Digital Photography

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Guide To Digital Photography

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 am

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 am

Priced around US$2K... expensive for a prosumer...need to check it out 1st. It also support rechargeable Li-Ion and AA batteries (multi batteries pack module)... :thumbsup: No sales date yet... #-o

The review HERE.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:12 am

RAW format is the way to go if you are a serious photography enthusiast. But because of the different formats for different manufacturers, there is yet a standard common format or guideline for RAW formats. Have a look at this article in Wikipedia on RAW formats:= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

Just to give you an idea how diverse these formats by manufacturers are, these are some examples:
NIKON = nef
CANNON = crw or cr2
SONY = arw, srf, sr2
Olympus = orf
Fuji = raf
Panasonic = raw, rw2
Pentax = ptx, pef

There are some good utilities out there that allows you to read RAW format from different camera manufacturers.

NIKON has a codec that will allow Windows-users to view .NEF images directly without the need to convert to JPG. Link = http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Better still is ADOBE, who have come out with a good freeware to convert all RAW images into digital negatives. More and more manufacturers are now adopting .dng as a RAW format because of ADOBE Photoshop. Link for download and write-up = http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

If you are like me, using free source software such as Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird, Google Chrome & Picasa, GIMP, Inkscape, Photoscape, this is this plug-in that allows you to open RAW images directly in GIMP for processing your RAW images. Link = http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Some other softwares that you can use to process RAW images and also your photos are:-

ADOBE Lightsource
ADOBE Photoshop
ACDSee
CorelDraw

However take note above programs, you have to pay.. (note feel free to add to the above list)
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Nikon updates its compact camera range

By TAN KIT HOONG
intech@thestar.com.my

S1100pj 2.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: Apart from its DSLR range, Nikon has also updated its compact camera lineup with a number of new models, most notable of which are the Coolpix S1100pj, S80 and P7000.

Like its predecessor, the S1100pj is a compact camera with an unusual feature - it comes with a built-in projector that can be used to project and share photos and videos.

The S1100pj improves on the older model by increasing the projection brightness by 40% and adds a 3in TFT touch panel LCD monitor on the back.

The camera can also connect to Windows or MacOS computers and it can act as a projector to show images and text from the computer's display.

On the camera side, the S1100pj comes with a 14.1-megapixel image sensor, a zoom lens equivalent to a 28-140mm and ISO settings from 80-6400. It even comes with a built-in stand for propping the camera up when used as a projector.

The Coolpix S1100pj has a recommended retail price of RM1,148.

Coolpix S80

Positioned as a stylish, pocketable compact camera, the S80 nevertheless has a number of interesting innovations up its sleeves.
S80 2.JPG

This 14.1-megapixel camera has a 5x optical zoom equivalent to a 35-175mm lens and ISO settings from 80-6400.

The stand-out feature on the camera, however, is its large 3.5in OLED screen, which allows the user to see the screen clearly even when viewed from extreme angles.

This screen also features capacitive touchscreen technology and has a menu system driven by a touch of the finger.

There's also 720p HD video recording with stereo sound. There were no confirmed pricing details for the Coolpix S80.

Coolpix P7000

Top of the line is the Coolpix P7000, which is aimed at the advanced amateur.

Equipped with a 7.1x zoom lens equivalent to a 28-200mm lens, the 10.1-megapixel P7000 has a number of features specifically tailored for advanced users.

For one thing, the camera has most of its important controls easily accessible via dials and custom buttons - exposure compensation, for example, has its own dedicated dial.
P7000 aa.jpg

The camera also allows the user to shoot in RAW format in addition to JPEG, which means that all the picture information captured by the camera is retained in a lossless format.

Other interesting "pro-level" features include auto-bracketing, macro photography from as close as 2cm from the lens, and even a virtual horizon display (taken directly from Nikon's high-end DSLRs) for helping the user keep the camera level when shooting landscapes.

ISO settings range from 100 to 3200, with an ISO boost setting of up to 6400.

The Coolpix P7000 has a recommended retail price of RM1,598.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Nikon launches the D3100

By TAN KIT HOONG
intech@thestar.com.my

D3100 aa.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: Nikon has officially launched two new DSLR cameras, namely the entry-level D3100 and the recently announced D7000.

The D3100 is a fairly significant update to its sibling, the D3000 - it ups the megapixel count to 14.6-megapixels (from 10-megapixels), has ISO settings from 100-3200, 11 autofocus points and most importantly, adds Live View and FullHD 1080p video recording.

Nikon has also added full-time continuous autofocus during video recording and to sweeten the pot, there's face-detect autofocus which can track up to 35 faces simultaneously.

In spite of the added features, the D3100 even weighs a tad lighter than the D3000, at just 505g with battery compared to 534g for the D3000.

The D3100 will have a recommended retail price of RM2,198 and comes bundled with the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G lens.

As for the Nikon D7000, no prices have yet been finalised for the mid-range DSLR, although the camera is expected to hit our shores at the end of the month or in beginning of November.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm learning to use the manual mode on my camera, and it's driving me crazy...no, it's my eyes.

the picture composed looked fine on the liveview finder and the manual viewfinder. so i pressed shutter button, but the image comes out either too dark or too bright or too blurry.

*sigh*. i know, it's me.

can someone help me? wasted so many pretty poses by my cats, that they're shunning me already whenever i whip out my camera. initially they were excited to pose for me, when i shot using auto mode, can show them what they look like on film.

i took too much time adjusting the manual mode settings, they just walked off after awhile posing for me.

and yes, my cats know what it means to "pose pose"
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:18 pm

You can start by letting us know what settings you used and your camera model. Some pictures together with its settings and lighting source will be best.... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:16 pm

what are you saving your shoots in? jpeg or raw? if you are using raw, all is not lost, you can use photoshop program like the freeware or open source GIMP to touch up. jpeg can still be done but you will lose details when you make adjustments. If you are shooting in manual mode, it is advisable to save in jpeg + raw. All DLSR allows you to save in those mode.

If it is too dark and you are not using flash, you need to up your ISO to min 400

if too bright means you are setting your aperture to low or your shutter speed too long

if it is blurry, it means the camera was not stable when you took the shot

The other 2 factors are white balance and exposure compensation...

but sometimes, it can be a combination of all the above. That's way bro moeyhc ask for your settings and camera model.

It is just GPS pnd. if you don't tell us your model, GARMIN 2xx or 7xx or 1xxxx, or papago how to help...

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”