GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Re: GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Postby chaicka » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:58 pm

chinwy wrote:http://www.zweibrueder.com

Another very interesting high end stuff eg X21. Thats with 950 lm using 7 Cree! This guys use precision optics for focusing. Will be eyeing the H7 as replacement. Saw the stuff in the shop yesterday and it looks very compact. New player in the market. Being German technology, I am quite sure the reliability will be there unlike my previous unit - broke due to stress in the cold and design weakness. Fortunate I was not in a mission critical condition.

It is not a new player in market. LED Lenser is a old timer. I am using their 7736TS. I am impressed with their precision focusing lens/optics (whatever it's called) and their battery compartment is pending patent (solid design) and the button really solid too.

My brother has a few of similar sized/design china made ones (including the Fenix brand). After seeing the LED Lenser 7736TS, he is also impressed by the design of the projection lens/optics and battery compartment. If comparing just the LEDs, both china-made and LED Lenser are probably the same type or quality (hard to tell with naked eye). But without good projection lens/optics, the effectiveness of the underlying cree LEDs is just that much.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:02 pm

chinwy wrote:http://www.zweibrueder.com

Another very interesting high end stuff eg X21. Thats with 950 lm using 7 Cree! This guys use precision optics for focusing. Will be eyeing the H7 as replacement. Saw the stuff in the shop yesterday and it looks very compact. New player in the market. Being German technology, I am quite sure the reliability will be there unlike my previous unit - broke due to stress in the cold and design weakness. Fortunate I was not in a mission critical condition.

Here is another alternative website for LED Lenser:

http://www.ledlenserusa.com/

This site has other range of LED Lenser products that's not found on the http://www.zweibrueder.com site.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:09 pm

Here is the LED Lenser 7736TS I am using:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:56 pm

I'm currently flashed with a 225 lumey and another bigger/longer brother with some 630 lumey... on any strolls and travel beats. \:D/

A brighter, longer & greater floodlit like the X21er seems befitting for the next switch>>> superb lighting beam!!!

Though its an added weight to my backpack. :-k :mrgreen:

Last edited by cruiser on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ~ Cruiser ~

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:04 am

Here are some photos taken of the LED Lenser 7736TS (pardon if I did the LED Lenser unjust becoz it's taken from a handphone camera):

Full 7736TS:

Battery Compartment:

Projection Lens/Focus Optics:

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 am

cruiser wrote:I'm currently flashed with a 225 lumey and another bigger/longer brother with some 630 lumey... on any strolls and travel beats. \:D/

A brighter, longer & greater floodlit like the X21er seems befitting for the next switch>>> superb lighting beam!!!

Though its an added weight to my backpack. :-k :mrgreen:

I think the lumen is not a good way to gauge how bright and how far the throw is for flashlights since there isn't an industry standards on how measurement is to be done.

I do not have a digit camera with me now, thus I am unable to capture a good photo of just how powerful (given it's patent pending focus lens/optics) the 7736TS is.

I am sure you will find one (between the 2 LED Lenser sites + 1 more online retailer site below) that suits your needs (look at all 3 sites for full range of LED Lenser products).

http://www.lightsandknives.com/

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:40 am

chaicka wrote:
I think the lumen is not a good way to gauge how bright and how far the throw is for flashlights since there isn't an industry standards on how measurement is to be done.

Without doubt about definitive stats you raised and I personally found, after comparing between my Fenix T1 and the TK40, the significant gap & difference is not very far off with distance throw but sure is on floodlight intensity.

It really doesn't matter to me 2B honest so long as when I notice a distant object gets strongly illuminated, that is when the vision becomes exceedingly appreciated with the naked eye at distances like between 75m to 125 factual meters, it gains my appraisal. :thumbsup:

But when its showing unparalleled brightness in dense darkness and it outshines the classic medium range models by a furlong... Lumens say little... unless we're again dealing with a Polarion 4-5000 model of course!

I'm thinking of that too for someday... the 4000 smaller model is adequate for my personal use. :mrgreen:

My pre-review posted >>HERE.
Last edited by cruiser on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ~ Cruiser ~

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 am

cruiser wrote:
chaicka wrote:

Without doubt about definitive stats you raised and I personally found, after comparing between my Fenix T1 and the TK40, the significant gap & difference is not very far off with distance throw but sure is on floodlight intensity.

It really doesn't matter to me 2B honest so long as if I notice, an object gets strongly illuminated that the vision is exceedingly appreciated with the naked eye at distances like between 75m to 125 factual meters, it gains my appraisal. :thumbsup:

but when its showing unparallel brightness in dense darkness and it outshines the classic medium range models by a furlong... Lumens say little... unless we're again dealing with a Polarion 4-5000 model of course!

I'm thinking of that too for someday... the 4000 smaller model is adequate for my personal use. :mrgreen:

Good opinion... Still learning to appreciate flashlights... You have a valid point on the naked eye distance between 75-125m. Maybe I should narrow my next flashlights to be within this range too. Think my next one would be a T7.

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi,

Any way to purchase it locally in Singapore?

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:39 pm

simseair wrote:Hi,

Any way to purchase it locally in Singapore?

LED Lenser, limited models available. I had to parallel import it in the last round.
I may be getting more of LED Lenser flashlights soon (in Aug).

What's the model you are looking at?

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”