GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Re: GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Postby chaicka » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:07 am

I would agree with cruiser. Cheapo pasar malam torch light just ain't anywhere comparable with those novice/pro flashlights that uses industrial grade LEDs. Cree is just one of those LEDs, and it's square in shape.

The photos shown by bro cruiser just doesn't fully illustrate the 'power' of good LED flashlights as it only show the brightness but doesn't show the projection distance. Cheapo pasar malam LED flashlights can have near-distance brightness too (I have one super bright but doesn't shine anything further than 2-3m) but doesn't project any further than 5m.

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 am

chaicka wrote:I would agree with cruiser. Cheapo pasar malam torch light just ain't anywhere comparable with those novice/pro flashlights that uses industrial grade LEDs. Cree is just one of those LEDs, and it's square in shape.

The photos shown by bro cruiser just doesn't fully illustrate the 'power' of good LED flashlights as it only show the brightness but doesn't show the projection distance. Cheapo pasar malam LED flashlights can have near-distance brightness too (I have one super bright but doesn't shine anything further than 2-3m) but doesn't project any further than 5m.

I concur with you 100% bro Chai! :thumbsup:

I tried one RM30 pasar malam LED torch - the one that says "Police" on it and claims to be a 40-watter (not!). The tail end cap doesn't make good contact with the AAA alkaline (it takes 4 triple-As) adapter base. However, for the price I paid I ain't complaining - it makes an "OK" flashlight for my car.

I have two Inova LEDs - an 85-lumen (3.2 watt) T3 with the older TIROS optics and the current T2 (125 lumens) model. The new T2-MP has a much warmer tint than the older T3, but the throw isn't as tightly focused without the TIROS system. The side-spill light is useful to light up a wider frontal area but I still prefer the precise focus of the discontinued TIROS based Inovas.

There's also another Inova in my bedroom - an X5 ultraviolet model. I use it to charge the luminous dials of my watches at night.

They're too expensive to risk being stolen, so I don't put them in my car's glove box. That's when the el cheapo pasar malam flashlight comes in handy! :mrgreen:
cheers,

Stratman II

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 am

chaicka wrote:The photos shown by bro cruiser just doesn't fully illustrate the 'power' of good LED flashlights as it only show the brightness but doesn't show the projection distance.

You certainly are right on that conclusion for I don't really go all out to set up and compare the varying throws of my flashes... simply because, I have seen them as they were posted in other flashlight forums already... why replicate the hassle from proven pics of others when I now finally have it before me and am fully satisfied on them and agrees to their distance and beam strength as already alleged by many??? :mrgreen:

I may after all, do so someday... for the album records of my own gallery pics... so, hang on to yr reins.... :thumbsup:

The Fenix T1 really brightens a good deal with either of its two-modes only for a distance of 50 meters and 100 meters respectively... awesome with its 225 lumens!! As for the TK40, it bundles 630 lumens and with two modes as well, it throws a longer and brighter beam and you need to get one to enjoy exclaiming.... WoW!!!

As for the larger flash, it is a 50w halogen that lights up from a 12v connection and throws a good 750,000 candlelight beam. I'll have that long beam into the sky snapped someday... it is magnificent in a pitch dark area... truly opening up the night with daylight at any given spot as far as 300 meters. I have used it up in hilly terrains and its sensational.
Image ~ Cruiser ~

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:56 pm

cruiser wrote:
chaicka wrote:The photos shown by bro cruiser just doesn't fully illustrate the 'power' of good LED flashlights as it only show the brightness but doesn't show the projection distance.

You certainly are right on that conclusion for I don't really go all out to set up and compare the varying throws of my flashes... simply because, I have seen them as they were posted in other flashlight forums already... why replicate the hassle from proven pics of others when I now finally have it before me and am fully satisfied on them and agrees to their distance and beam strength as already alleged by many??? :mrgreen:

I may after all, do so someday... for the album records of my own gallery pics... so, hang on to yr reins.... :thumbsup:

The Fenix T1 really brightens a good deal with either of its two-modes only for a distance of 50 meters and 100 meters respectively... awesome with its 225 lumens!! As for the TK40, it bundles 630 lumens and with two modes as well, it throws a longer and brighter beam and you need to get one to enjoy exclaiming.... WoW!!!

As for the larger flash, it is a 50w halogen that lights up from a 12v connection and throws a good 750,000 candlelight beam. I'll have that long beam into the sky snapped someday... it is magnificent in a pitch dark area... truly opening up the night with daylight at any given spot as far as 300 meters. I have used it up in hilly terrains and its sensational.

WOW... Too bad over here, hardly requires so powerful flash, else I will be like you with plenty of various flash around. :mrgreen:

nanotech17

Postby nanotech17 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:33 pm

WTS :mrgreen:
cheap - cheap

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3566

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Alternatively there is an option - make up your own led lighting specifications.. try this link www.nightlightning.co.nz

Was shopping for a new lighting system for my helmet after my old unit battery compartment broke when I dropped it.

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:45 pm

chinwy wrote:try this link http://www.nightlightning.co.nz

Thanks Chin. :good:

I've just paid a visit to that link and since I am flying into Christchurch, I'll drive up to their shop and check out and hopefully, order something flashy for my dog too (LED flash on headgear) and pay by PayPal and go personally to collect it....;)

Good to know they are prepared to customize to one's needs and I have one design I'd like to fix onto my Guard-dog's headdress when we stroll out at night... will be awesome!!! :thumbsup:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:14 pm

http://www.zweibrueder.com

Another very interesting high end stuff eg X21. Thats with 950 lm using 7 Cree! This guys use precision optics for focusing. Will be eyeing the H7 as replacement. Saw the stuff in the shop yesterday and it looks very compact. New player in the market. Being German technology, I am quite sure the reliability will be there unlike my previous unit - broke due to stress in the cold and design weakness. Fortunate I was not in a mission critical condition.

FauSham
Location: Kelantan [Legend Cx / Nuvi 200(Damage) / Nuvi 760 / Nuvi 265W(New)]

Postby FauSham » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:10 pm

=D> nanotech17

DALAM NIE PUN ADA JUAL LAMPU SULUH GAK???
Ingatkan hobie jer :D
FauSham @ Malaysia & Singapore Free Maps - MalFreeMaps
AMATEUR RADIO CALLSIGN: 9W2WFN

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:45 pm

chinwy wrote:http://www.zweibrueder.com

Another very interesting high end stuff eg X21.

WoW... the X21 is looking impressive esp. with its massive floodlight & centred search beam and I assume thats where all 950 lumens is blasting away too!! At 395mm it's like the length of my single pod camera support that I carry along... this is getting to be hard to avoid in my next wish list... :mrgreen:

Those sample display of floodlights within the caves are awesome.... gave some food for flashing beyond my thoughts to captivate my own samples when I'm in NZ soon. :thumbsup:

Is the shop (Army) you referred to in Hamilton, brudder Chinwy? Lets go visit it when we meet up... \:D/ I'm signing up for their catalog after this.

One last thing, is this 7-LED flasher available by yr side at just under 280 euros(=NZ$616)? However, from this other source, at light&knives, its offered at: $299.95 (approx. 245 euros)... available within the USA.

Looking For Army Surplus?

Kiwi Disposals has more than 20 years experience in the Army Surplus business bringing the very best Military and Government Surplus from around the world to you.

Our customers come from all walks of life with an expectation of purchasing hard working/high spec clothing, equipment, camping and accessories at a reasonable price, often at a fraction of the price of the more mainstream hunting/fishing/outdoors and adventure stores.

Buying army surplus is a good way to save money. When you buy surplus you get good quality, hard-wearing stuff that doesn't cost the earth and has been designed and made for harsh conditions. That makes it great for hunting and strenuous outdoor activities. We're certain that you'll find something in here that appeals to you, whether it's a pair of fingerless gloves for $6.50 or a Search Light Antique Tilley for $550.00.

We have grown from our beginnings in a small warehouse servicing wholesale only customers, to now having two outstanding retail stores servicing the cities of Auckland and Christchurch, and a huge new warehouse servicing our network of retailers, wholesalers, internet and mail order customers here in New Zealand and Internationally.

This is most favorable as I'll be in both cities too. They should soon be replacing that Tilley price tag to $699.00 for the X21.
Last edited by cruiser on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ~ Cruiser ~

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”