GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ajay

Re: GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Postby ajay » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:10 pm

ah.. so the mild seven is also your survival tool yeah? :)
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

mohicans
Valued Contributor

Postby mohicans » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 pm

err i guess so...the adrenalin serum
"When the grey hair is dead,Magua will eat his heart out"

uncle wong
Regional Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur - Selangor - Johor I did not have a GPS device

Postby uncle wong » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:20 pm

wat so special ? Y so expensive ?? :-k :-k
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

dealova

Postby dealova » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:31 pm

ye lar...beli kat pasar malam rm25 jee....hehehe...takdak warranty ler...

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:25 pm

Fenix is a China brand, quite cheap in China/Taiwan.

I am using this LED Lenser 7736TS and dun be deceived by juz the lumens numbers of LED flashlights... quite alot cannot make it and there is no industrial standards on how the lumens is measured.

7736TS cost me around S$100 inclusive of expensive freight charges. I believe LED Lenser is a german brand and has several patents (pending patents). Quite impressive in the quality and performance.

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 pm

I started with Maglites of different sizes and then added China-made LEDs. I have one in every car and every bedroom. I equip my children and misus with one each. I have a few in my desk at the office and beside my bed. The single LED China-made ones for RM10 is good enough for my night photography. If it breaks, throw it away and get a new one. But you will be amazed what a good flashlight can do and how long it lasts.

One of the main problems with flashlights is that the owner leave them tucked away for long periods and find it is not working when they need them usually because the battery is dead or worse still, the battery has swelled up and leaked.

My dream is Surefire Aviator.

Flashlight must be accompanied with a Swiss Army knife or a multitool.

One of my prized possessions is a Victorinox Traveller which come with a Victorinox Huntsman, a ruler/compass/magnifier/thermometer and a Maglite Solitaire in a leather holster.

What to do I'm a gadget collector. I also collect knives.

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:40 pm

The price looks so expensive ... what is special things about this torch light as compare to those China made ... which is also LED (very brite too), rechargeable and only cost RM10 at pasar malam. :mrgreen:

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:21 pm

keong8260 wrote:The price looks so expensive ... what is special things about this torch light as compare to those China made ... which is also LED (very brite too), rechargeable and only cost RM10 at pasar malam. :mrgreen:

LED comes in grades too. Furthermore, the design and projector lens determine the distance and/or way the light is projected. 7736TS, easily can shine across an open-air carpark into the block, even given that our carpark and streets are so lighted up.

I have multiple cheap pasar malam flashlight before too. After owning my first professional flashlight, I will impressed by how a professional flashlight outshine any cheapo flashlight.

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 pm

i bought RM 12 flashlight from pasar malam quite bright. how much diff between that and these high end ones ?

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 pm

sharkteef wrote:i bought RM 12 flashlight from pasar malam quite bright. how much diff between that and these high end ones ?

Mine are simply... novice-level lights... but serves well and with some history and service contributed to the community too...(found an almost dead body with my guard dog on a nightly stroll in a park) semua boleh jadi pulak!! :thumbsup:

Get a Fenix like this here>>: Image

It came in extremely handy in cave-like conditions, one being in the cave up in the Upper Rock in Gibraltar. Without the Fenix, no one would have spotted the secret chamber that was the "Sick-Bay". It was pitch dark and out of sight... but I spotted it and snapped a pic of the two wax personnel inside. :thumbsup:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”