GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
lls
Valued Contributor

Re: GPS'ers must carry flashlight(s)

Postby lls » Sat May 22, 2010 5:03 pm

uncle wong wrote:Thrunite Catapult V2
The ThruNite Catapult V2 version has been designed to be a search & rescue and tactical flashlight without peer.

The new version has been improved in many ways compared to the previous Catapult.

We re-designed the new driver without a MCU, which allows it to accept higher input voltage and current in our search in improving the output. We made important changes in five ways:
1) We are using an IC with higher efficiency at the heart of our circuit. With higher efficiency, less heat is produced.
2) Eliminating the MCU allows our circuit to have a greater range of operating temperature. Now it will work when the outside temperature ranges from minus 30C to over 130C, making it perfect for tactical applications where reliability is a must.
3) Because of the high output of the light (and resulting heat generated by the LED), we added an automatic overheat shutdown function. When the circuit senses temperature in excess of 120C, it will automatically shut down. When the temperature has cooled to below 120C, it can be turned on again. This will prevent damage to the light and give it a longer working time.
4) We have selected premium quality 2oz brass PCBs to increase the heat dissipation ability. This allows the light to handle the heat easily, and reliably.
5) We eliminated the anodized layer between the LED and electronic housing. In our tests, after removing this layer, the heat transfer rate is increased 15 times. When the LED is working, this allows the heat to dissipate more effectively, especially important for LEDs under such high current, allowing for greater brightness and increasing the LED’s lifespan. We are continually seeking ways to improve our lights, and this was a great advancement.

The Catapult’s aluminium bezel has been replaced with a stainless steel on the Catapult V2. This allows for a much higher impact resistance, making it much more effective in tactical situations.

The Catapult V2’s ergonomic design enables it to be used for extended periods of time without fatigue. It provides an anti-slip surface and grip design to lessen any chance of dropping the light.

While many of our competitors use softer and more affordable 6061 aircraft aluminum, we craft our lights from the ultra-strong 7075 aircraft aluminum and coated with mil-spec hard anodizing, making the Catapult V2 extremely durable and well made. With its massive output from the state-of-the-art Luminus SST-50 LED, the Catapult V2 sets a new standard in LED flashlights for both pure output and throw.

The beam of the Catapult V2 has been fine tuned to offer maximum throw while still providing massive amounts of spill. Whether used for search and rescue, security operations, boating or any activity requiring tons of illumination, especially at a distance, the Catapult V2 is a fantastic choice.

The Catapult V2 is easy to use. It offers 2 levels of output: High and Low. To cycle through the modes, simply loosen the bezel for Low or tighten it for High.

Version 2 of the Catapult improves on the original by increasing output, simplifying user interface, adding a stainless steel bezel, and allowing for the use of both CR123 and lithium-ion batteries.

World-class super bright Luminus SST-50 emitter with the highest flux bin
Stainless steel bezel
Maximum of 1000 emitter lumens on high
Low Output: approx. 250 lumens
2 Levels of output
Operating voltage between 3.7V to 13V
Low = 900mA; High = 3.5A
Mil-Spec Type III Hard Anodizing
Constructed from 7075AL for superior durability.
Length: 185mm; Head diameter: 58mm; Body diameter: 31mm; Weight: 390g.
Tactical momentary-on forward click switch
IPX-8 Water/Dust Resistance
Tail cap design allows the light to tail stand
Shatter resistant ultra clear lens with double-sided multilayer AR coating
54mm textured orange peel reflector
BATTERY OPTIONS: 2 x 18650 / 2 x 17670 / 4 x CR123/ 2 x 18650. (2 x CR123/2 x 16340/1X17670/1x18650for low stage only)

Uncle wong, what is the price for this toy :-k How about the output distance :-k
I got G2 Nitrolon from Surefire, Xenon lamp & 65 lumen output only. I just plan to upgrade the lamp to the highest 120 lumen. So, my question is , Xenon vs LED Lamp. As i know, xenon lamp can get the brighter output & the better shooting distance, the major problem for xenon lamp is just only the "Heat". But the LED lamp, i'm not sure its can beat xenon lamp or not, i'm just query about the output distance :-k .
Navigate Confidence with mfm

uncle wong
Regional Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur - Selangor - Johor I did not have a GPS device

Postby uncle wong » Sat May 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Thrunite Catapult V2
Output distance 600FT & more
V2 UI More simple , tighten to High mode & loosen a bit to low mode .
Brightness almost same . V2 is 100 lumens brighter than V1.I think to be quite noticeable visibly, you must have at least 50% more. The problem of heatsink grease leaking solved .
Catapult V2 added automatic overheat shutdown function .
This will prevent damage to the light and give it a longer working time.
The Catapult V1 aluminium bezel has been replaced with a stainless steel on the Catapult V2 .
Thrunite Catapult V1 Review http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=252477
Thrunite Catapult V2 Sneak Peek http://brightside.lumensreview.com/view ... ?f=32&t=78
Thrunite Catapult V2 Group Buy http://brightside.lumensreview.com/view ... ?f=21&t=29
Thrunite Catapult V2 Group Buy http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1388660/+640
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

uncle wong
Regional Mapper

Postby uncle wong » Sun May 23, 2010 12:01 am

Thrunite Catapult V1 & V2 Beamshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

k5011
Polygon Mapper

Postby k5011 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:54 am

uncle wong wrote:Thrunite Catapult V1 & V2 Beamshot

no difference [-X
Image Image Image

uncle wong
Regional Mapper

Postby uncle wong » Sun May 23, 2010 8:59 am

k5011 wrote:

no difference [-X

Brightness almost same . V2 is 100 lumens brighter than V1.I think to be quite noticeable visibly, you must have at least 50% more.
From the image, it looks like V2 flood is brighter, and the spot is slightly smaller .
Last edited by uncle wong on Sun May 23, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

lls
Valued Contributor

Postby lls » Sun May 23, 2010 10:30 am

k5011 wrote:

no difference [-X

Yes, what is the meaning " Brightness almost same . V2 is 100 lumens brighter than V1. I think to be quite noticeable visibly, you must have at least 50% more."

If the V2 is 100 lumens brighter than V1 , we should notice the difference but it's looks like no difference :-k . Maybe it's difficult to us to notice the difference in the picture :-k . What is the distance between these building :-k

uncle wong
Regional Mapper

Postby uncle wong » Sun May 23, 2010 11:35 am

lls wrote:
k5011 wrote:

no difference [-X

Yes, what is the meaning " Brightness almost same . V2 is 100 lumens brighter than V1. I think to be quite noticeable visibly, you must have at least 50% more."

If the V2 is 100 lumens brighter than V1 , we should notice the difference but it's looks like no difference :-k . Maybe it's difficult to us to notice the difference in the picture :-k . What is the distance between these building :-k

Distance 50-60Feet .
It hard to notice between 200Lumens Light & 300 Lumens Light different .
If the lumens gap is 500 lumens , maybe noticeable visibly .
Reflector play important role too for throw & spill .
Smooth & deep reflector for throw .
Orange Peel reflector for more spill
Catapult V2 is design for throw .
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

lls
Valued Contributor

Postby lls » Sun May 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Distance 50-60Feet .
Catapult V2 is design for throw

Uncle wong , sorry :prayer: i'm not that good :mrgreen: . What does throw & spill mean :-k
Maybe it's easily to understand & notice the difference if the beamshot tested at dark & long straight road.

uncle wong
Regional Mapper

Postby uncle wong » Sun May 23, 2010 3:15 pm

lls wrote:

Distance 50-60Feet .

Uncle wong , sorry :prayer: i'm not that good :mrgreen: . What does throw & spill mean :-k
Maybe it's easily to understand & notice the difference if the beamshot tested at dark & long straight road.

Throw mean how far the light out from torch can go , spill mean wide angle of light out from torch .
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

lls
Valued Contributor

Postby lls » Sun May 23, 2010 9:17 pm

uncle wong wrote:
lls wrote:

Distance 50-60Feet .

Throw mean how far the light out from torch can go , spill mean wide angle of light out from torch .

:tq: uncle wong , now i known the difference . Hope to see more beamshot info from you.

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”