HD vs HD Ready Plasma TV

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

HD vs HD Ready Plasma TV

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:29 pm

I am looking at replacing my aging TV. Been looking around but getting confuse between the terminology of HD vs HD Ready. The price difference is about $500 - 800 depending on the brand / features.

Initially was looking at Pioneer kuros but with them getting out of the business, I am looking at alternative such as Hitachi / LG / Panasonic / Samsung. Prices have fallen and those that I seen are hovering aroung the $1000-1500 region

Take note that I am only considering Plasma Models as most of my viewing is action / sports movies.

Need some advise on which direction to go. :tq:

ajay

Re: HD vs HD Ready Plasma TV

Postby ajay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:36 pm

full HD means it fully support HD since the panel resolution (pixel) is 1920x1080.
HD ready means it can playback HD but the panel don't have full HD resolution as above

& oh.. yes better go for full HD ;)
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

jeremaze
Polygon Mapper

Postby jeremaze » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:59 pm

the price different in Malaysia here is quite a lot...
I will put a HD ready 32" in my bedroom, HD 37" or bigger in living room.
dreaming only.... :$$: :rolleyes: :$gone:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/10000-People-Request-Garmin-to-provide-Compiler-to-MFM-Malfreemapscom/256105137738698

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:22 pm

The way I understand it is that a full HD TV will be able to receive a full HD input usually at 1920x1080 resolution and then display it back at 1920x1080 resolution. So if you play an HD software or an HD movie on a full HD player or a blue ray movie on a blue ray player, there will be NO degredation in or downscaling of the resolution when seen on the TV screen. The resultant picture is awesome.

An HD ready TV is able to receive an HD signal but will scale down the resolution to display it at resolutions that is generally below 1920x1080.

In real world terms, I doubt if you can see the difference in resolution between an HD Ready TV and a full HD TV for screen sizes below 42" at recommended viewing distances. The bigger the screen, the bigger the pixel and thus is more obvious up close.

Astro in Malaysia is not HD. In fact it is analogue and sometimes I feel a normal CRT TV is better for viewing Astro.

HD titles are rare in this market. In fact, there are more Blue Ray titles. Many download HD movies for playback on their HD TV.

Games on Playstation on full HD and HD ready TV is also great. I cant tell the difference on my full HD and HD ready TV.

I invested in HD ready very early and then HD TV with an HDMI DVD player. Frankly, I wasted my money. Ocassionally, I'll play the demo disc to feel good that my TV is capable to such resolution.

I should have waited a while yet before going on the beelding edge.
Last edited by drsec on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jchoong

Postby jchoong » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:55 pm

SilverBeauty,

Unless you want to get into BluRay which can take advantage of the full HD spec of 1080p, otherwise the HD ready units are good enough. As already pointed out, also if the screen is less than 50", it is unlikely one will be able to tell the difference from your normal sitting position.

Having said that, I went with full HD a few months ago and also got a BluRay and the combination is truly awesome - both video and audio. But at this stage, only BluRay can take advantage of the 1080p resolution. HD broadcasts on cable channels are not 1080p, so HD ready units can handle these adequately.

Plenty of info here:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/forum ... .php?f=226
Nuvi 2575; 40LM; Nexus 4

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Bro SB,

A TV usually last around 8-10 years. Hence I go for the full HD when I bought mine 2 years ago. One thing to look out for when choosing LCD TV is the contract ratio. This will ensure that you have enough back lighting to offset very bright environment. Most LCD TVs today have refresh rate of <8ms so you should have great viewing even for very fast action movies....

Choose one that has good color separation, depth of view and pay special attention to black & white color. Is it black or just dark and white shouldn't be glaring? Hope this helps.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Many thanks for all the responses. :tq:

Looks like I will go for a HD ready Plasma. :thumbsup: LG has just launched a new model LG42PQ30R with a resolution of 1366x768, a 600Hz refresh and a 200,000:1 ratio at $999. I will pop to view the model. :thumbsup:

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Bro SB, maybe you should call up Goh Ah Bee (Hougang) to enquire their price. I believe, they offer the cheapest price in SG. :thumbsup:
I brought all my household appliances from this shop for all my 3 house shifting in the past 20 years. Never regret.
You need not go down to the shop. Just call them with the model you wanted and if the price is acceptable, give them your address and they will deliver to you. You then pay them with cheque, as simple as that.
Forget about those big stores with free "gifts" and "special offer". In actual, you are paying for the "free" gifts. :thumbsdown:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:38 am

full hd better as this is nao the computer age. i've hooked mine up on my comp and confirm via hdmi, pic quality is .....awesome. no money to buy blu-ray rom yet but ........ u can get 1080p stuff for free , especially movie trailers and game trailers.

ajay

Postby ajay » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 am

bro SB, for 42" better get full HD (1920x1080) la coz u'll notice the lack of pixel at that big size. for smaller size TV it's ok to buy HD ready (1355x768).. IMO
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”