Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Forteowner
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:52 am

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby Forteowner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:01 pm

cwyap wrote:
Forteowner wrote:Does it comes with 2 version like u mention earlier VHF & UHF and subjected to 0.5Watt which in that case hows the distance like..


Puxing 777 comes in 2 versions - UHF and VHF. You buy either version only. The walkie-talkie itself doesn't have both UHF and VHF together. It's EITHER OR.

0.5W of Puxing 777 transmits much better because of its antenna. So far, it can hit about 2km in undulating terrain in Cheras. In KL centre have not tried it yet.


Would prefer the VHF how troublesome is getting one license and if i use it without any would i get into trouble as we are using it mostly on cars convoy trips out of country and we frequent Thailand most during long holidays and i pressume using it there shouldn't be any problem..

Remember using a set of kenwood can't recall the model and manage to hit about roughly 2Km any user can share if you using KW and do shed a light any one using the VHF frequency in Thailand..


Cheers,
:tq:


Cheers,

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby FrancisTLim » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Forteowner wrote:...we frequent Thailand most during long holidays and i pressume using it there shouldn't be any problem..

I remember reading on the web before that Thailand quite strict on unlicenced use of walkie talkies (they have their own CB freq and the sets that comply are red in colour). Seems that they will keep you in jail until the court case. Maybe you can do a google search for that article.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

Forteowner
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:52 am

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby Forteowner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Puxing 777 comes in 2 versions - UHF and VHF. You buy either version only. The walkie-talkie itself doesn't have both UHF and VHF together. It's EITHER OR.

0.5W of Puxing 777 transmits much better because of its antenna. So far, it can hit about 2km in undulating terrain in Cheras. In KL centre have not tried it yet.[/quote]

[b]So which should i get the UHF or the VHF as u mention
that it can hit till 10Km..

Can it be program to the frequency with my MT5720 so that i can use it with friends who do not wish to upgrade

Thanks,
[/b]

User avatar
cwyap
Valued Contributor
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:56 pm
Location: N3 09.008 E101 42.518
Contact:

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby cwyap » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:28 am

cwyap wrote:Puxing PX777 has two versions - (a) the VHF version - we can't use (legally) without getting a ham radio licence, and (b) the UHF version (450MHz - 500MHz) - this one can be used freely subject to (i) transmitting at 0.5W, (ii) no scrambling/encryption is used, and (iii) frequencies used do not stray from the 477MHz range.


Bro Forteowner,

The above is the answer as to which version you should be getting.

Yes, you can programme the Puxing PX777 to communicate with the Motorola Talkabout 5720. However, bear in mind:-

(a) the frequency range used by MT5720 is not authorised by MCMC; and

(b) even though the PX777 can hit up to 10km or more at 5W transmission power & your MT5720 can pick up the transmission from that distance, the MT5720 WILL NOT be able to transmit back the same distance given its max. 1W power, i.e. you will still have to live with the short range limitation of MT5720
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby FrancisTLim » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:26 pm

When going in a convoy, the trick to arrange different sets with different power/ranges is to have the longest range ones at the first & last vehicles. The shortest range ones can be in the middle vehicles, because they only have about half the distance to cover. That was the way we arranged when I was using them in short convoys when we were going places in a group on holiday in the USA.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

bimmer
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: KL
Contact:

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby bimmer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Francis,

Since you have experience in group convoys in USA, can you provide more tips and pointers on using handheld transceivers in USA please? I'm planning a trip to CA, USA with some driving involved (2 cars) from LA to Vegas and San Diego (and back to LA).

I havent bought any transceivers yet but intend to do so soon. Looks like the PX777 is highly regarded here so i might go for this (UHF version). We just need to program to USA's FRS/GMRS frequencies right?
- bimmer

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby FrancisTLim » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 am

bimmer wrote:Hi Francis,

Since you have experience in group convoys in USA, can you provide more tips and pointers on using handheld transceivers in USA please? I'm planning a trip to CA, USA with some driving involved (2 cars) from LA to Vegas and San Diego (and back to LA).

I havent bought any transceivers yet but intend to do so soon. Looks like the PX777 is highly regarded here so i might go for this (UHF version). We just need to program to USA's FRS/GMRS frequencies right?

Actually, for 2 cars, just get the normal FRS/GMRS model will do. The FRS/GMRS units are legal in the USA, whereas the PX777 is not (you need licence). So, I think it is safer to get the FRS/GMRS units. Just look for the higher range units (in those days, Motorola T7400 was quite good) and check them out on the web (for comments on good or bad) before you decide which to buy. Nowadays, Motorola & Midland Radio seem to have the higher range units. In those days, I used to like the Motorola & Midland Radio models because they have some models which use AA batteries instead of the AAA batteries. When you set to high power, AA batteries last much longer.

Don't believe the Miles range. Use it as a guide, but check on the web for user comments before you decide on which model to buy.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

bimmer
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: KL
Contact:

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby bimmer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:56 pm

FrancisTLim wrote:Actually, for 2 cars, just get the normal FRS/GMRS model will do. The FRS/GMRS units are legal in the USA, whereas the PX777 is not (you need licence). So, I think it is safer to get the FRS/GMRS units. Just look for the higher range units (in those days, Motorola T7400 was quite good) and check them out on the web (for comments on good or bad) before you decide which to buy. Nowadays, Motorola & Midland Radio seem to have the higher range units. In those days, I used to like the Motorola & Midland Radio models because they have some models which use AA batteries instead of the AAA batteries. When you set to high power, AA batteries last much longer.

Don't believe the Miles range. Use it as a guide, but check on the web for user comments before you decide on which model to buy.


Thanks for the reply, Francis. But will i be able to use the FRS/GMRS models (legally) in Malaysia? The FRS/GMRS frequencies may not be legal?
- bimmer

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby FrancisTLim » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 pm

bimmer wrote:Thanks for the reply, Francis. But will i be able to use the FRS/GMRS models (legally) in Malaysia? The FRS/GMRS frequencies may not be legal?

You are right. FRS/GMRS sets are not legal for use in Malaysia. They are for USA & Canada only. But since you are going to the USA, they are the cheapest legal option. Even if you use it only for a short while, they are so cheap that you will feel less heart pain.

I think FRS/GMRS are the most universally used illegal standard all over the world.

When I was in the USA some years ago, the cheap FRS/GMRS sets were about US$19.99 per set of two at Best Buy or Frys. Ie. US$19.99 per pair. Good longer-range ones are about US$49.99 per pair. Another advantage is that your USA friends (if any) who join you in the convoy will usually already have their own sets.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

bimmer
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: KL
Contact:

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby bimmer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Could i get a programmable set from here (eg. PX777, i understand its programmable?), have it programmed with USA FRS/GMRS frequencies, use it there and then later bring them back have it reprogrammed with MY frequencies and use it here also?

This eliminates "illegal" transmissions on either side and i still get some use out of them on both sides of the pond.
- bimmer


Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests