Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
tks

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby tks » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:24 am

Mine are US/Canada sets bought whenever I travel to the region. They are very cheap there, around US$80 to $150 per pair with charger, depending on model. Sim Lim used to sell these export sets too. Some of them will sell the export sets only to foreigners with passports. Is Mustafa selling US models or Singapore models? Singapore models generally have lower range (I think 5 km or less) but of course, you get local warranty.

If you are using the walkie talkies locally and you are law abiding to the letter, you should use the local sets. But if you want to use them overseas e.g. in the US, you would be breaking the law in the US while I would be law abiding there!

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:55 am

Prices of Motorola Walkie Talkie as advertised during recently completed SITEX show@Sin EXPO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benjamin-tan

Postby benjamin-tan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:41 pm

tks wrote:
benjamin-tan wrote:Anybody know whether it is legal to use walkie talkie in australia. Would be traveling there in December and thinking of bringing walkie talkie there. What is the legal frequency that can be used there?

You can use walkie talkies without licence in Australia but the approved frequencies are near 434 and 477 MHz i.e. those found in Australian models. US/Canada models are using 14 frequencies from around 462 to 467 MHz. Singapore walkie talkies are using 446.0 to 446.1 MHz frequencies. Malaysia also has its own approved frequencies. Basically, they are all different. So, technically you cannot use your set in Australia unless they are Australian models.

Having said that, I must say most of us are simply using our US or local sets in Australia.

Thanks for the info.

charade

Postby charade » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:22 am

Hello @ Hi to all Sifu2 & members.... :peace:

I'm NewBie here..i have 1 set Kenwood TK 3207, & i'm using kenwood software KPG-87D v1.
i need to know..what range off frequency(Malaysia) that i can set to the walkie talkie.

Another thing i need to know is..if i set the frequency more big i.e 490 MHz..
can or cannot the walkie talkie range go over 5KM or something....

:tq:
regard
charade (NewBie) :)

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:00 pm

charade wrote:Hello @ Hi to all Sifu2 & members.... :peace:

I'm NewBie here..i have 1 set Kenwood TK 3207, & i'm using kenwood software KPG-87D v1.
i need to know..what range off frequency(Malaysia) that i can set to the walkie talkie.

Another thing i need to know is..if i set the frequency more big i.e 490 MHz..
can or cannot the walkie talkie range go over 5KM or something....

:tq:
regard
charade (NewBie) :)

Alot of these FRS & GMRS sets which has low output power (1W or less ), when on road trips traveling at high speed (90-100km/hr), the coverage range greatly shortens.

I have a 8 miles set, when on road trip, it doesn't even cover range of more than 3km at 100km/hr.

The next set I will be shopping for, will be dependent on the output power, not the paper-specs range. Don't be surprise to get a set, let's call it 'A' which on paper states 20km range out-perform another set, let's call it 'B' which on paper states 30km range.

To have good range coverage on road trips, look for sets that output 2.5W and above. 2.5W ones usually in the range of S$200-300+. 5W ones would be lovely, most suitable for lead, wind man and last marker vehicles but these are quite costly, easily above S$500.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:04 pm

tks wrote:
stratman2 wrote:10 miles range, are you sure? :ko: Or did you mean 10 kms instead?

US sets show the range in miles and 10 mile sets are very common. My Motorola T6500 claims 10 mile range. My Motorola T9510 claims a ridiculous 40 km range !!!

On paper specs that is.

T6500 - 10 mile set, most likely end up around 2-3km range on NSW, if use on B roads, range shortens even more.

Dun trust the paper specs, look for output power specs instead. And if the sets have relay-capability, then it will improve overall convoy's comms, depending on how far the 1st and last vehicle stretch, type of roads, weather, and how many sets within the convoy has relay-capability.

tks

Postby tks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 pm

If i can get even 2 to 3 km, I will be happy. Most of the time, all the walkie talkies i have used so far including my 40km Motorola cannot even do 1km in built up areas. But where there is line of sight, and at least one set is on high ground, I have been able to do about 5 km even with the 5 km sets.

Those sets with 2.5W and above that you are looking for, are they for licence free use? Coz I don't want to use them if they are illegal for use without licence.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:50 pm

tks wrote:If i can get even 2 to 3 km, I will be happy. Most of the time, all the walkie talkies i have used so far including my 40km Motorola cannot even do 1km in built up areas. But where there is line of sight, and at least one set is on high ground, I have been able to do about 5 km even with the 5 km sets.

Those sets with 2.5W and above that you are looking for, are they for licence free use? Coz I don't want to use them if they are illegal for use without licence.

If I remember correctly, the power limit for legal use of radio transmitters in Singapore is 500mW.

IDA Link : http://www.ida.gov.sg/doc/Policies%20an ... mption.pdf

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm

We ain't using them within borders :-#
On road trips, who cares... they ain't going to have those vans equipped with scanners chasing us on the road trips.... :finga:

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:25 pm

tks wrote:If i can get even 2 to 3 km, I will be happy. Most of the time, all the walkie talkies i have used so far including my 40km Motorola cannot even do 1km in built up areas. But where there is line of sight, and at least one set is on high ground, I have been able to do about 5 km even with the 5 km sets.

Like I said, stationary clear line of sight, of coz. But even with clear line of sight (eg. NSHW) but moving vehicles at high speed, the range drops tremendously.

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”