Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby FrancisTLim » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 pm

I am starting this thread for anyone who is interested in Walkie-Talkie which is meant for General Public.

That means anyone in the public can buy them. No need to sit for tests nor for special reason/justification. What I mean is no need for Company registration, nor group licence, nor RELA, nor Police, nor HAM (Amateur Radio), nor Security company, etc.

We can discuss USA systems (GMRS & FRS), Malaysian systems (FRS), Singapore systems, European systems (PMR), or any other such public systems.

In the past few years, I have seen many different models of Walkie Talkies which are on sale in Departmental Stores & Electronics Shops in the USA, Penang, KL & Singapore.

Just wondering if anyone else have interest for such devices. Can discuss here.

Here are some of the more popular brands I have seen.

Aztech
Motorola Talkabout
Uniden
Garmin Rino
Midland Radio
Audiovox
Cobra
Shiro
Kenwood

Regards,
FrancisTLim

tsechien

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby tsechien » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi,

I am running a set of Motorola GP2100 5W, not strictly FRS or GMRS but rather a UHF unit with channels tuned to the 477Mhz range. No need license for something like this yes?

chien

ajay

Postby ajay » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:13 pm

i think 5W still need licence but the authorities normally don't enforce la :)
your motorola also compatible with my kenwood 3107
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:55 pm

tsechien wrote:Hi,

I am running a set of Motorola GP2100 5W, not strictly FRS or GMRS but rather a UHF unit with channels tuned to the 477Mhz range. No need license for something like this yes?

chien

Yeah, in Malaysia, if the set is tuned between 477.0125 and 477.9875 and power limited to half Watt, then no need licence I think. Not sure if there are any other conditions though.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

tks

Postby tks » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:12 am

I have used many models of Motorola Talkabouts and one model of Midlands. I prefer the Motorolas. The Midlands set which I had was plasticky. The Motorolas are solidly built.

However the quality of the Motorolas seem to be heading towards plasticky look ever since the units seem to be "taken over" by Giant International Corp, China. Instead of Motorola, Giant provides support.

One thing which I am very peeved is that the advertised range, even if you discount the operating conditions, is ridiculous. Currently, I have one set 10 miles, one set 15 miles, but you will be lucky if you can get 1 km. But there have been times when I have been able to reach quite a distance. One memorable time was when I was at one of the service apartments near KLCC. High floor. Using a 5 mile set, I was able to reach someone shopping in Bukit Bintang.

rajeh1313
Polygon Mapper

Postby rajeh1313 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:59 am

how about CB radio..?? anyone use it..?? is it the same..?? where and how much to get it??

My bike uses a CB radio... so thinking of getting a hand held one too... any suggestions please...

Thanks in advance... :peace:
Rajeh1313 (+65 93831441)
Born & grew up in Batu Pahat... presently in Singapore...

ajay

Postby ajay » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:18 am

tks wrote:I have used many models of Motorola Talkabouts and one model of Midlands. I prefer the Motorolas. The Midlands set which I had was plasticky. The Motorolas are solidly built.

However the quality of the Motorolas seem to be heading towards plasticky look ever since the units seem to be "taken over" by Giant International Corp, China. Instead of Motorola, Giant provides support.

One thing which I am very peeved is that the advertised range, even if you discount the operating conditions, is ridiculous. Currently, I have one set 10 miles, one set 15 miles, but you will be lucky if you can get 1 km. But there have been times when I have been able to reach quite a distance. One memorable time was when I was at one of the service apartments near KLCC. High floor. Using a 5 mile set, I was able to reach someone shopping in Bukit Bintang.
yeah.. my experience is also the same. got very good reception if someone is on high floor. may be few kms away on the ground can be reached. but if both on the ground, maybe around 1km tops
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:32 pm

rajeh1313 wrote:how about CB radio..?? anyone use it..?? is it the same..?? where and how much to get it??

My bike uses a CB radio... so thinking of getting a hand held one too... any suggestions please...

Thanks in advance... :peace:

What frequency does your CB radio operate on? In Malaysia or Singapore?
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:39 pm

ajay wrote:
tks wrote:I have used many models of Motorola Talkabouts and one model of Midlands. I prefer the Motorolas. The Midlands set which I had was plasticky. The Motorolas are solidly built.

yeah.. my experience is also the same. got very good reception if someone is on high floor. may be few kms away on the ground can be reached. but if both on the ground, maybe around 1km tops

Yeah, it is unfortunate that they started advertising in miles instead of power. I wish they advertised in terms of power (eg. 0.5W or 1W or 5W, etc.)

The problem is that once they started advertising in "up to" miles, they can keep going up and up. In fact, under perfect conditions, from mountain top to another mountain top, I think people have reached 100miles before. But under normal conditions, it is more like 0.5 to 2 Km.

For me, I personally look at 2 things. First, I look at the power. Midland Radio have models which are supposed to be 5W. Second is the length of the aerial. For this, I think Motorola have models with longer aerials. The old 7100 & 7400 supposed to be very good, because of the 2W power and very long aerial. Unfortunately, those models already obsolete.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

rajeh1313
Polygon Mapper

Postby rajeh1313 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:21 am

FrancisTLim wrote:What frequency does your CB radio operate on? In Malaysia or Singapore?

:ko: Sorry bro I not sure lah... the CB radio is pre-installed on my bike (Goldwing)... so thought of getting a held held so when we go convoy, the safety car could also communicate with the bikes....
Rajeh1313 (+65 93831441)
Born & grew up in Batu Pahat... presently in Singapore...

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”