Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby FrancisTLim » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:35 am

One more thing to add. Turn off the codes. Codes will reduce the range because the code decoder will need a sufficiently high level of code signal to turn on the audio.

Furthermore, the code is totally useless. If you turn it on, then you will not be able to hear when there is other traffic in the channel, but when you transmit, you will clash with the other traffic and everyone will be disrupted.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

Forteowner

Postby Forteowner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:51 am

Nothing much you can do to improve the transmission range of Motorola T5720. Though rated 5-miles, it's on the basis of straight line of sight & with qualified conditions. Maybe out in the open sea you can hit the max. range. I tried in jungle (not thick jungle but the trail to Sg Lepok waterfall in Ulu Langat) - max. maybe 200 metres.

On car convoy - roughly 500 metres apart ok. But once you turn into a corner, those behind you won't be able to communicate with you.

Changing channels or codes will not help.

You can try the Puxing PX777 5W walkie-talkies. Much better than the Kenwood TK1307. The PX777 is a programmable unit (but subject to certain range of frequency) and it can hit as far as 10km in KL even with tall buildings around if you turn it to 5W though not recommended as legal licence free use of the PRS frequencies in Malaysia is only limited to 0.5W. Of course there is nothing to stop you from using the 5W transmission but if you get caught, a hefty fine awaits you.[/quote]

Thanks and thats right once tried turning into a corner is totally out of reach..

How much is the cost for Puxing Px777 and any idea where can i view the actual item in Penang and do i need a license to use it..?

Cheers,

Forteowner

Postby Forteowner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 am

FrancisTLim wrote:One more thing to add. Turn off the codes. Codes will reduce the range because the code decoder will need a sufficiently high level of code signal to turn on the audio.

Furthermore, the code is totally useless. If you turn it on, then you will not be able to hear when there is other traffic in the channel, but when you transmit, you will clash with the other traffic and everyone will be disrupted.

Err bro care to enlighten how to turn off the code..?
what i know is the QT which turn on/Off and as per manual
is Channel 1-7 & 15-22 generates output of 1W and 8-14
generates 0.5W so which should i select for better distance..

Thanks,

Cheers,

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:22 am

FrancisTLim wrote:How much is the cost for Puxing Px777 and any idea where can i view the actual item in Penang and do i need a license to use it..?

Puxing PX777 has two versions - (a) the VHF version - we can't use (legally) without getting a ham radio licence, and (b) the UHF version (450MHz - 500MHz) - this one can be used freely subject to (i) transmitting at 0.5W, (ii) no scrambling/encryption is used, and (iii) frequencies used do not stray from the 477MHz range.

I remember I paid RM350.00 per unit of the TYT-T777 (the OEM version of Puxing PX777). Programmable.

You can try to contact Ken at [dlhj777 at gmail.com]. The shop is in Kuchai Lama, Kuala Lumpur. Warranty: Portable Radio 6 months , Battery & Charger 3 months. No idea about availability in Penang.
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 am

Forteowner wrote:Err bro care to enlighten how to turn off the code..?

QT - Just select OFF, that's all to it. That's the Motorola "privacy" code setting. If you ON it, other units using the same frequency will not be able to hear your transmission; only those who ON the QT mode can. But it's nothing fancy. Scanners can evesdrop on QT'ed transmissions anyway.

Yes, the Channels having 1W output will transmit further. Note that for the Motorola T5720, my experience was a max. of 200 metres in the jungle even when I was using 1W. I tried the T5320 (or something like that) which has a 0.5W output - managed to communicate 2km from boat to Port Klang Jetty. So, wattage by itself may not be a useful indicator though generally speaking, if you are in an open area with little or no obstruction and the atmospheric conditions are favourable, you can hit the maximum mentioned in the product specs.

The Motorola Talkabout waklie-talkies are good for small radius and social communication - say within a small shopping complex (tried at MidValley - no problem though people will stare of you :mrgreen: but heck, who cares! :thumbsup: ). For car convoy, more demanding communication tasks and longer distance - go for the proper industrial type of walkie-talkies.
- Chae Richardson

Forteowner

Postby Forteowner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 pm

cwyap wrote:
Forteowner wrote:Err bro care to enlighten how to turn off the code..?

QT - Just select OFF, that's all to it. That's the Motorola "privacy" code setting. If you ON it, other units using the same frequency will not be able to hear your transmission; only those who ON the QT mode can. But it's nothing fancy. Scanners can evesdrop on QT'ed transmissions anyway.

Yes, the Channels having 1W output will transmit further. Note that for the Motorola T5720, my experience was a max. of 200 metres in the jungle even when I was using 1W. I tried the T5320 (or something like that) which has a 0.5W output - managed to communicate 2km from boat to Port Klang Jetty. So, wattage by itself may not be a useful indicator though generally speaking, if you are in an open area with little or no obstruction and the atmospheric conditions are favourable, you can hit the maximum mentioned in the product specs.

The Motorola Talkabout waklie-talkies are good for small radius and social communication - say within a small shopping complex (tried at MidValley - no problem though people will stare of you :mrgreen: but heck, who cares! :thumbsup: ). For car convoy, more demanding communication tasks and longer distance - go for the proper industrial type of walkie-talkies.

Thks for all the input just got back from convoy trip and find that Moto T5720 is sufficient but would be better if can cover at least a real 2km radius..whats your recommendations puxing 777,KW 3207,etc..

Need to seriously find out before investing a pair once and for all..

Cheers,

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 am

Forteowner wrote:Thks for all the input just got back from convoy trip and find that Moto T5720 is sufficient but would be better if can cover at least a real 2km radius..whats your recommendations puxing 777,KW 3207,etc..

Go for the Puxing 777. Triple the price of Motorola Walkabouts but you won't regret it. But do remember to operate within the specifications laid down by MCMC.
- Chae Richardson

bimmer

Postby bimmer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

There is a Puxing PX-888 also. Any idea whats the difference or if one is better than the other?
- bimmer

Forteowner

Postby Forteowner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:54 am

cwyap wrote:
Forteowner wrote:Thks for all the input just got back from convoy trip and find that Moto T5720 is sufficient but would be better if can cover at least a real 2km radius..whats your recommendations puxing 777,KW 3207,etc..

Go for the Puxing 777. Triple the price of Motorola Walkabouts but you won't regret it. But do remember to operate within the specifications laid down by MCMC.

Does it comes with 2 version like u mention earlier VHF & UHF and subjected to 0.5Watt which in that case hows the distance like..

Cheers,

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Forteowner wrote:Does it comes with 2 version like u mention earlier VHF & UHF and subjected to 0.5Watt which in that case hows the distance like..

Puxing 777 comes in 2 versions - UHF and VHF. You buy either version only. The walkie-talkie itself doesn't have both UHF and VHF together. It's EITHER OR.

0.5W of Puxing 777 transmits much better because of its antenna. So far, it can hit about 2km in undulating terrain in Cheras. In KL centre have not tried it yet.
- Chae Richardson

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”