Bear Grylls Outdoor Clothing

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
aikliang
Contributor

Bear Grylls Outdoor Clothing

Postby aikliang » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Bros, just got into hiking and was informed that the range of clothes and equipment by Bear Gryll is one of the better ones for hiking. Have been trawling the internet for information on where to purchase but no luck..... Any hiking kaki know where to get in KL or Singapore? Appreciate very much... Or any alternative and where to get/buy....
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Re: Bear Grylls Outdoor Clothing

Postby cwyap » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:42 pm

You can try the Columbia range of clothings. Really good but the prices are high. Quick drying, UV protection, tough & rugged, and light. Would love to lay my hands on these stuff but @ nearly RM300 for a pair of long pants, RM180/shorts and RM250/long sleeves shirt, it makes me think twice. But a guy sure looks good on them! :lol:

You can find Columbia clothings at World Of Outdoors (the same retail outlets that sell Hi-Tec, Deuter, Sunto stuff). There is one on the 2nd Floor of The Weld, Jln Raja Chulan though this one is rather small. The one in The Garden, MidValley is better. And if you are in Balakong, there is a section in Jaya Jusco Cheras Selatan that sells Columbia items too.

My friend and my bro-in-law wear Columbia - damn... really good and really proven products on the trail.

Cheetah used to sell long pants similar to Columbia but without the UV thingy. Dirt cheap - I bought two pairs @ RM17 each back in 2006. Unfortunately Cheetah doesn't seem to produce these anymore since 2007. I still have mine till now (went through a lot with me - jungle trekking, Mt Kinabalu & backpacking).
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:03 pm

bro.. thanks for the information.

BTW do you still do hikes and treks? I remember reading a thread for that... My friend and I, together with a few people are organizing a one-day trek up Gunung Lambak in Kluang on 10th April 2011. My friend will be going up Gunung Irau during the Labour Day holidays and this hike is part of her preparation. Interested to join up with us? Invites to all bros and sistas keen to participate for the April 10th hike..

We also intend to do monthly hikes all over Peninsular Malaysia. Can you recommend any mountains or tracks, ideally non-commercial, either one-day or overnight..

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:06 pm

My group was supposed to be at Gn Tahan now (Merapoh trail - from 12 to 15 March 2011) but unfortunately due to some unavoidable situation, the trip was abandoned. We are now rescheduling it to end May/early June 2011 (in conjunction with the school holidays as two of our team members are school teachers). Everything was ready and everyone was so excited but too bad things happened that shorted the plan. Oh well, have to resubmit our application for a permit to climb again.

If you or any of your friends are interested, do let me know and I'll provide the full details. It's a non-profit expedition - everyone shares the cost of shuttle transfers and guide fees. As for food & other suff, each is free to share with others or on his/her own (our current team - individual rations given special diet requirements and religious observation though we share gas stove on the basis of 1 stove for 2 persons).

Yes, we still do 1-day hike - mostly up Gn Nuang in Ulu Langat, Selangor. That's as part of our training in preparation for Gn Tahan climb. We did an overnight camping trip but only up to Dataran Lolo - field testing our camping gears; valuable lessons learned there.

You may want to consider Gn Nuang. For hardcore trekkers this will be a good trail to walk. For novice, I would say - don't take it for granted. For people in the middle (like me for instant), it's a nice & tiring walk, but great nonetheless. There will be a trip up on 16 April 2011. But we start very early - 7am as we target to reach the summit by 1pm (2pm the latest) and then descend back to the carpark by 6pm. Interested?

Thanks for your invitation. But Gn Lambak & Gn Irau are a bit far for us (and due to work commitments, I'm stuck in the office for 7 days a week till 2nd half of April 2011). We are going for a camping trip at Gn Nuang again either end April (in conjunction with Labour Day) or 14 & 15 May 2011; this will be using a newly opened trail - we have not been there before so it should be interesting and we intend to map it out. Wanna join in for this overnight trip?

Other places that may of interest to you and your team:-
a) Sg Chiling, Kuala Kubu Bahru
b) Sg Lepok, Ulu Langat
c) Sg Perlus, Ulu Langat
- Chae Richardson

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 am

hey bro, appreciate the feedback and invite.

Actually me and my friend can be considered as novice.. I am starting back hiking after 30+ years. I used to hike when I was studying in UK... my best memories of hiking was the scenery at the Lakes District in the morning..

As for 16th April, I don't think we can make it. I have an event at my place, Strongman Challenge on 17th and 24th April. I will ask her to check with her brother, who is an avid hiker, if he is interested to join you. End April, my friend going to Gunung Irau, maybe the mid-May is of interest to us. Will let you know.

BTW, we will be in KL 25 & 26th March to check out some outdoor shops to get some equipment, maybe we can meet up. Please pm me your number in case we can meet up. mine is 0197722101

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 am

I'll be working 7 days a week starting from 19 March 2011 till 10 April 2011 (full working hours too for Saturday & Sunday!!) :cry: So I'll have to take a rain check in a meet-up.

Which outdoor shops are you going to? I have patronized Corezone in SS 2, Petaling Jaya and Outdoor Centre in Jln Ampang. UFL in Bangsar - have not been there. Of course there are a couple in Pertama Complex (haven't been there for ages).

I'll PM you the Gn Nuang camping trip once I get the dates worked out with my Gn Tahan team mates. But it looks like it will be 14 & 15 May 2011.
- Chae Richardson

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:14 am

Allsports equipment - 1Utama
Corezone - SS2 (N3 06.996 E101 37.359)
Delta Rovers - Bandar Sri Damansara (N3 11.088 E101 36.466)
Evergreen Adventure - Tmn Midah Cheras (N3 05.329 E101 43.710)
Pertama Complex
Campbell Complex
MadMonkeyZ - Wangsa Maju (N3 12.281 E101 44.185)
Outdoor Center - Jalan Ampang (N3 09.643 E101 43.848)
Yellow Stone - bangsar (N3 08.145 E101 40.239)
Nature Outlet (MNS HQ) - Jalan kelantan

Note: GPS co-ordiantes are approximate which I manually got from mapsource. I will update the actual co-ordinates when I visit the stores.

Above list, source from this website:- http://www.outdoor-gear-malaysia.com/

which I followed the link from this site:-
http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com ... rspective/

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:15 am

Bro aikliang,

Pls be informed that these are our confirmed schedule for outings from April till June 2011:-

1-day hike @ Hutan Rekreasi Gn Nuang, Ulu Langat, Selangor - 16 April 2011

2-day/1-night camping trip @ Hutan Rekreasi Gn Nuang, Ulu Langat, Selangor - 14 & 15 May 2011 (using new trail)

Gn Tahan expedition using Merapoh Trail - 7 to 10 June 2011
(already obtained verbal approval from Taman Negara Pahang, Sg Relau & they will reply in writing within the next couple of days. but my permit is for 4 pax. if you are interested, I can guide you through with the application and subsequent upon reaching TNP Sg Relau, both our groups can merge & share 1 guide as long as the total number people does not exceed 12 pax).
- Chae Richardson

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 pm

cwyap wrote:Bro aikliang,

Pls be informed that these are our confirmed schedule for outings from April till June 2011:-

1-day hike @ Hutan Rekreasi Gn Nuang, Ulu Langat, Selangor - 16 April 2011 sorry can't go for this as 17th and 24th, I am having the 5th IOI Mall Strongman Challenge

2-day/1-night camping trip @ Hutan Rekreasi Gn Nuang, Ulu Langat, Selangor - 14 & 15 May 2011 (using new trail) Tentative I am ok for this. When do you need me to confirm?

(already obtained verbal approval from Taman Negara Pahang, Sg Relau & they will reply in writing within the next couple of days. but my permit is for 4 pax. if you are interested, I can guide you through with the application and subsequent upon reaching TNP Sg Relau, both our groups can merge & share 1 guide as long as the total number people does not exceed 12 pax).Sorry this one tak boleh. Don't think I am ready for long haul hikes yet.

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:14 am

aikliang wrote:2-day/1-night camping trip @ Hutan Rekreasi Gn Nuang, Ulu Langat, Selangor - 14 & 15 May 2011 (using new trail) Tentative I am ok for this. When do you need me to confirm?

(already obtained verbal approval from Taman Negara Pahang, Sg Relau & they will reply in writing within the next couple of days. but my permit is for 4 pax. if you are interested, I can guide you through with the application and subsequent upon reaching TNP Sg Relau, both our groups can merge & share 1 guide as long as the total number people does not exceed 12 pax).Sorry this one tak boleh. Don't think I am ready for long haul hikes yet.

For the Gn Nuang camping trip, just let me know again by 7 May 2011 and I'll re-confirm where/when we all meet up.

Gn Tahan - if you can participate in the Strongman Challenge (the title speaks for itself), you are fit enough :thumbsup: . But I can understand your concern; even my team mates who are physically fitter than me continue to have doubts but for me it's "Let's go have fun" (of course, I do take all necessary precautions to ensure safety).
- Chae Richardson

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”