Singapore - Feedback (Q2 2009)

Moderators: Chuah, Moderators, Regional Mappers

sienta

Re: Singapore - Feedback (Q2 2009)

Postby sienta » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm

yoladu wrote:
sienta wrote:Piccadilly Road toward Western Avenue towards POI "Sunset Grill and Pub", they have sealed off some old roads and built new ones, so the map no longer accurate.

wah lau, you should have at least track the new road otherwise what do you expect the mappers to do with your post ? ](*,)

Or you can also go MSM, this was reported few weeks back :-'

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

I can't track, I only have Garmin Nuvi300.

If such feedbacks are not acceptable here in MFM, then i will stop posting such feedbacks lor, will post more useful ones in future, sorry yoladu.

As for MSM, do i need to check with MSM before feedback here? What's the relationship between these 2 websites in terms of feedback? Sorry, noob.

veloblur

Postby veloblur » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:42 pm

G'day, here is my very first contribution.

The route from Clementi Park Condo to The Tessarina condo takes a longer distance as shown in the .gdb file (magenta). The blue route which should be proposed is shorter and faster. I used faster route in mjy GMXT as my default routing algorithm.
Clementi park to The Tessarina.gdb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:39 pm

sienta wrote:I can't track, I only have Garmin Nuvi300.

If such feedbacks are not acceptable here in MFM, then i will stop posting such feedbacks lor, will post more useful ones in future, sorry yoladu.

It's not for me to comment if your type of feedback is acceptable or not since i do not hold any post in MFM but for any feedback to be useful, it needs to be constructive. For example, if you feedback on a new POI without a GPS coordinate, how useful can that be ? Even if you include the GPS coordinate, it is abit more useful but you have created unnecessary additional work for the mappers.

The constructive and proper way to post any feedback is in a gdb file created with Mapsource. When you create a gdb file, you can also double check if it is already in the latest map version.

If you want, you can also cross-check with other maps :tease:

Using Mapsource brings you to another level as a GPS user, and hopefully graduate to be a mapper, that's a natural progression.

sienta wrote:As for MSM, do i need to check with MSM before feedback here? What's the relationship between these 2 websites in terms of feedback? Sorry, noob.

For any feedback, do a search first to ensure that it has not been posted.

On the touchy :mrgreen: matter of relationship with MSM, please read from here :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29

and here :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1783
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

sienta

Postby sienta » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:18 am

yoladu wrote:

It's not for me to comment if your type of feedback is acceptable or not since i do not hold any post in MFM but for any feedback to be useful, it needs to be constructive. For example, if you feedback on a new POI without a GPS coordinate, how useful can that be ? Even if you include the GPS coordinate, it is abit more useful but you have created unnecessary additional work for the mappers.

The constructive and proper way to post any feedback is in a gdb file created with Mapsource. When you create a gdb file, you can also double check if it is already in the latest map version.

Using Mapsource brings you to another level as a GPS user, and hopefully graduate to be a mapper, that's a natural progression.

sienta wrote:As for MSM, do i need to check with MSM before feedback here? What's the relationship between these 2 websites in terms of feedback? Sorry, noob.

On the touchy :mrgreen: matter of relationship with MSM, please read from here :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29

and here :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1783

Hi, I think u misunderstood my question.

U said this, quote : "Or you can also go MSM, this was reported few weeks back "

So I asking you now, why I should go to MSM? And if this is reported few weeks back in MSM, what does that mean to me then, as someone who wants to feedback here in MFM? Is it if it is reported in MSM means we don't need to feedback here in MFM? Or what? Do explain what u mean. Thanks

Btw, thanks for the advice on Mapsource. Btw, noob qns, is mapsource useful to me if my GPS device cannot track new roads? How to add the new road to mapsource then?

But on a side note, I am trying to contribute in a small way to MFM, maybe not as much as u, but do understand I am just a driver, not a GPS techie with the correct equipment. Do take me as a tester that test out your maps and report inaccuracies. Anyway, maybe it's a mistake on my part to try to contribute, sorry.

Moderators can help remove all of my inappropriate postings? thanks.

cynide
Contributor

Postby cynide » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 am

sienta wrote:
yoladu wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29

and here :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1783

Hi, I think u misunderstood my question.

U said this, quote : "Or you can also go MSM, this was reported few weeks back "

So I asking you now, why I should go to MSM? And if this is reported few weeks back in MSM, what does that mean to me then, as someone who wants to feedback here in MFM? Is it if it is reported in MSM means we don't need to feedback here in MFM? Or what? Do explain what u mean. Thanks

Btw, thanks for the advice on Mapsource. Btw, noob qns, is mapsource useful to me if my GPS device cannot track new roads? How to add the new road to mapsource then?

But on a side note, I am trying to contribute in a small way to MFM, maybe not as much as u, but do understand I am just a driver, not a GPS techie with the correct equipment. Do take me as a tester that test out your maps and report inaccuracies. Anyway, maybe it's a mistake on my part to try to contribute, sorry.

Moderators can help remove all of my inappropriate postings? thanks.

Haiya bro relax la dont get so work up ok.

sienta

Postby sienta » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:03 am

cynide wrote:Haiya bro relax la dont get so work up ok.

I am relaxed ya :zzz:

But i do have high hopes that MFM is a better friendlier environment for newbies as compared to MSM

cynide
Contributor

Postby cynide » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:07 am

Ok dats d way 2 go bro. Even I join here earlier den u I still blur in some topic. So must read alot here.

Gd day bro.

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:27 am

sienta wrote:Hi, I think u misunderstood my question.

It's like intelligence collection. You have a new piece of information, how do you know it's reliability and accuracy ? One way is to verify it with another source. Subsequently you may even value add to the original piece of information, and MFM will be the first to have it in the map.

In fact, yesterday someone in MSM actually posted the map of the the revised route to Sunset Grill.

sienta wrote:Btw, thanks for the advice on Mapsource. Btw, noob qns, is mapsource useful to me if my GPS device cannot track new roads? How to add the new road to mapsource then?

Definitely. With Mapsource on your big screen PC, it's easier to work on the map. You can find and mark the POIs, check the routes, then transfer the POIs and Routes (if your GPS has that capability) to your device. This is particularly useful for long trips up north such as fuel stop planning.

During the trip, you could also mark some interesting places, and you can transfer these points to your mapsource, and if they are not in the map, you can share it in MFM by way of a gbd file.

Don't worry about trip logging, your next garmin gps will definitely have this function as it has become a standard feature now.

sienta wrote:But on a side note, I am trying to contribute in a small way to MFM, maybe not as much as u, but do understand I am just a driver, not a GPS techie with the correct equipment.

I am also just a driver, and not a GPS techie. My only equipment is no different from yours, just a PC and a gps. I also do not know much, but I try to pick up bits and pieces along the way, maybe one day I can create maps. Instead of using words to describe your feedback, a gdb file would not only have saved alot of words but also make the work of the mapper easier and faster.

sienta wrote:Do take me as a tester ........................and report inaccuracies.

And you need Mapsouce to do that.

:peace: :peace:
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

sienta

Postby sienta » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks,
Some things like POI I can use mapsource i am sure. Some things, i dont know how. Like how to use mapsource to make a "no right turn", i dont know.

Anyway, dont be too fast to dismiss basic contributions from newbies as crap, try to encourage, not demoralise.

This is like i see a buidling on fire. I can't put out the huge fire obviously cos i not trained and dun have the proper equipment, but the next best thing I can do is to report to firemen so that the right people with the right skills and equipment can put out the fire.

If one day u report a big building on fire to the firemen, and they tell you "Y u call me only? You should also go into the flaming buildng and save some people, and also try to put out some of the flames on your own, makes my job as fireman easier when I get there. Otherwise your reporting fire to me is useless." How would you feel? Will you report any more fires in future?

Anyway, let's make MFM a community of friendlies and leave all the badass culture to the "other" forum.

Nice talking to you and thanks for all the advice on contribution. Have a nice day and cheers.

turbonetic

Postby turbonetic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:27 pm

I noticed many location names are too long to be displayed in full on my Nuvi 255W.

Return to “SG Archives”